No announcement yet.

A New Type of NIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice to see a grass roots type of challenge even if the City leaders of Wichita continue to fail to challenge themselves to support the University that Sports their city name. Go Shocks

Comment

• How much did that Bill Board in Down town Wichita cost in total? Just wondering if a new one challenging the leaders of Wichita to see how the city can support WSU. The first one did wonders to move the needle so to speak.

Comment

• Court filing reveals terms of NCAA antitrust lawsuits settlement
        The NCAA, its five power conferences and lawyers representing a class of Division I athletes filed the detailed terms of an antitrust lawsuit Friday that has the potential to reshape the business of college sports.

Dan Murphy, ESPN Staff Writer
        Jul 26, 2024, 06:13 PM ET

"The NCAA, its five power conferences and lawyers representing a class of Division I athletes filed the detailed terms of an antitrust lawsuit Friday that has the potential to reshape the business of college sports.

The parties agreed in late May to settle a trio of lawsuits (House v. NCAA, Hubbard v. NCAA and Carter v. NCAA) about the various ways schools compensate their athletes. Friday's filing is the first of several important steps toward formalizing the agreement. The new details outline how past athletes will share the $2.78 billion in damages that the NCAA has agreed to pay, sets up a new system for revenue sharing and outlines new roster limits for a long list of college sports, among other items....

Schools will be permitted for the first time to pay their athletes directly via name, image and likeness (NIL) deals under the terms of the settlement. Each school could provide up to 22% of the average revenue that power conference schools generate from media rights, ticket sales and sponsorships -- a sum that is expected to be between $20 million and $22 million per school when the settlement goes into effect at the start of the 2025-26 academic year...."
        ​​

Comment

• Howard not vetted Blakeney's plan to sell stake in hoops program
          Howard University leadership has not yet vetted men's basketball coach Kenny Blakeney's proposal to sell a one-third stake in his program in exchange for $100 million, the school told ESPN in a statement on Tuesday.

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer
          Aug 6, 2024, 01:16 PM ET

"Howard University leadership has not yet vetted men's basketball coach Kenny Blakeney's proposal to sell a one-third stake in his program in exchange for $100 million, the school told ESPN in a statement on Tuesday.

The Washington Post reported last week that Blakeney met with a private equity firm in June and spoke with potential investors in July, with the end goal of preventing Howard's men's basketball program from getting "left behind" in the ever-changing college sports landscape...."

http://

Comment

• So back to the old days of corporate owned teams?

Comment

• So corporate owned is bad enough .. but now a COACH is trying to sell a stake in the team? Granted its a private school, so I'm not 100% sure how "ownership" works for that particular one .. but ... so much wrong here.

Comment

• It's time to split P4 FB away from all other college sports. The P4 are going to use their FB money to subsidize their other athletic programs in an effort to dominate everything. In the process, they will bankrupt any number of athletic departments that do not have FB revenue.

Take FB revenue out of the picture and there can be some semblance of a level playing field for the other sports.|

The NCAA lost its power because it was viewed as a monopoly. It's time to start suing the P4 because they are the new monopoly.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  It's time to split P4 FB away from all other college sports. The P4 are going to use their FB money to subsidize their other athletic programs in an effort to dominate everything. In the process, they will bankrupt any number of athletic departments that do not have FB revenue.

Take FB revenue out of the picture and there can be some semblance of a level playing field for the other sports.|

The NCAA lost its power because it was viewed as a monopoly. It's time to start suing the P4 because they are the new monopoly.
                  I think this is inevitable. It's happening now, without the actual split part. It sucks to think what might happen to the NCAA basketball tournament though.

Comment

• 'Substantial doubt' over company of Miami booster John Ruiz
                    Miami's mega-booster, who has spent millions on NIL deals for Hurricanes athletes in recent years, told investors this week that there is "substantial doubt" that his company, LifeWallet, will stay in business, according to an SEC filing.

Myron Medcalf, ESPN Staff Writer
                    Aug 16, 2024, 03:44 PM ET

"John Ruiz, once dubbed "Miami's NIL king" by ESPN, is struggling to keep his castle intact. Miami's mega-booster, who has spent millions on NIL deals for Hurricanes athletes in recent years, told investors this week that there is "substantial doubt" that his company, LifeWallet, will stay in business, according to an SEC filing...."​

No one could have seen that coming.

Comment

• I think Doc has discussed this before. At some point, these mega donors are going to tire of this, and this bubble will have to burst. Rich people don’t become rich by throwing away money at unsuccessful ventures. Are mega-donors going to keep throwing seven digits at QBs at mid/lower tier SEC schools only to keep going 4-8?

And for those that do, what kind of return are they getting out of it? Dude at Miami obviously didn’t see enough because he’s about to lose his shirt.

That’s the cautionary tale for Wichita State. They have to keep asking and asking because that’s how they need to stay viable, but at some point, I’m just going to lose interest, find another hobby to follow, and not feel the slightest bit bad about it.
                      78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                        That’s the cautionary tale for Wichita State. They have to keep asking and asking because that’s how they need to stay viable, but at some point, I’m just going to lose interest, find another hobby to follow, and not feel the slightest bit bad about it.
                        Now that the scholarship limits have opened up, unless you have 5+ figures of disposable income you can give annually, I think the very best way you can help is to buy as many tickets to as many events as your pocketbook allows and simply show up and watch your favorite alma mater compete.

Just get your fan on as you always have and support SASO when your heart and pocketbook can.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Oklahoma St's Gundy tells players: 'Tell your agent to quit calling us and asking for more money'
                          STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) — Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy has had enough of the distractions that go along with this new era of college football.

The Canadian Press
                          Mon, Aug 19, 2024, 4:30 p.m. CDT

STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) — "Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy has had enough of the distractions that go along with this new era of college football. There's so much to navigate now with the transfer portal and name, image and likeness deals, and Gundy has drawn the line. “I told the players there’s no negotiating now," he said. “Portal’s over. All negotiation’s history. Now we’re playing football. Just coaching and playing football....”

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                            I think Doc has discussed this before. At some point, these mega donors are going to tire of this, and this bubble will have to burst. Rich people don’t become rich by throwing away money at unsuccessful ventures. Are mega-donors going to keep throwing seven digits at QBs at mid/lower tier SEC schools only to keep going 4-8?

And for those that do, what kind of return are they getting out of it? Dude at Miami obviously didn’t see enough because he’s about to lose his shirt.

They have been doing it for decades already. It’s pride, and their team against a rival rich guys team. It’s not going away. KU hasn’t gone away in 100 years.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                            Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

They have been doing it for decades already. It’s pride, and their team against a rival rich guys team. It’s not going away. KU hasn’t gone away in 100 years.
                              Some schools have donors who will spend like a sailor on shore leave with a wad of bills and a pack of condoms in order to be the "cock of the walk", but not every school has those donors or perhaps enough of those donors. And I'm not just talking about the NIL insanity. The amount of money that P5 schools seem to garner for the facilities arms race has just gotten to what I think is a crazy level. I keep wondering if all this expenditure is sustainable, and for how long.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                                I keep wondering if all this expenditure is sustainable, and for how long.
                                With endowments, you ain't seen nothing yet.

The day will soon come when every coach at Harvard will be higher paid than the highest paid professional coach within their sport.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X