A New Type of NIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
    For sh#ts and giggles...let's see if a 5 star kid who is offered 1 million nil money to play at Duke turn it down in order to come play ball at Wichita St. for 1.1 million. Hurry up...somebody pony up the cash to try that.
    Might have to add a zero...

No. 1 basketball recruit Cooper Flagg signs with CAA for NIL representation (msn.com)
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Schools are now allowed to facilitate NIL deals between player and 3rd party.

Comment

• If we could get 300 D1 schools to band together to create some kind of NCAA alternative, I think we could blow this debacle wide open. I'm guessing that the bottom 150 schools don't really participate in NIL right now.

So we could go back to pre-NIL (or at least a greatly neutered NIL), and ban the entire portal concept. With 300 schools, it could be a very nice tournament.

NCAAA (National Collegiate Association of Amateur Athletes).

I'm willing to bet folding money our post-season tournament would be MUCH more exciting than the 50 - or so - semi-pro Cadillac'n circle jerks'.

Comment

• And I can guarantee that there would be an eyebrow raising number of quality coaches and administrators who would either transfer or unretire and give it everything they have in the new league. I'm guessing 75-85% of everybody affiliated with collegiate sports (the grownups) are fed up with this horseshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
            If we could get 300 D1 schools to band together to create some kind of NCAA alternative, I think we could blow this debacle wide open. I'm guessing that the bottom 150 schools don't really participate in NIL right now.

So we could go back to pre-NIL (or at least a greatly neutered NIL), and ban the entire portal concept. With 300 schools, it could be a very nice tournament.

I'm willing to bet folding money our post-season tournament would be MUCH more exciting than the 50 - or so - semi-pro Cadillac'n circle jerks'.
            I'm guessing that would be pretty difficult as this is mostly due to the courts and not the NCAA.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

If we could get 300 D1 schools to band together to create some kind of NCAA alternative, I think we could blow this debacle wide open. I'm guessing that the bottom 150 schools don't really participate in NIL right now.

If this fantasy division banned tv money, reduced gate fees and paid coaches a modest salary, you might be able to do that. But as long as there is big money, or Congress gets involved, it will not happen.

There would be no tv exposure. Even less than when the world was astounded when they found out Larry Bird was white on a televised game against AC and company.

But it's a great dream
              Last edited by Atxshoxfan; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm guessing that would be pretty difficult as this is mostly due to the courts and not the NCAA.
                Make it a private association. Our club, our rules. All students enrolling into the university sign a waiver understanding the privacy of the athletic organization. Any local legal eagles wanna weigh in?

If we could get even 250 schools to join this "union" of sorts, we could turn this **** show right around. I'll gladly cheer for the Matt Braeuer and PJ Couisnard types again. **** these greedy clowns. Wichita State has EXCELLENT educational opportunities to sell. I just drove through the campus again the other day. Wow!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

If this fantasy division banned tv money, reduced gate fees and paid coaches a modest salary, you might be able to do that. But as long as there is big money, or Congress gets involved, it will not happen.

There would be no tv exposure. Even less than when the world was astounded when they found out Larry Bird was white on a televised game against AC and company.

But it's a great dream
                  No TV exposure? I doubt that. "Our league" would be the most competitive in the country. It would be college kids busting their asses again for the pride of their school (and playing time).

It would be a good idea to rebalance all the leagues as well ensuring everybody is tight regionally - reversing any stupid cross-country realignment decisions.

Comment

• My meter is registering. Might need calibration.
                    Last edited by BostonWu; 1 week ago.

Comment

• All athletes should be treated like employees, like the rest of us.

First year student-athletes, (i.e., new hires) and as such, should be paid the federal minimum wage of $12.90 an hour. So for example: Most teams have 31 games and there are 40 minutes per game, which equals about 20.67 hours per season or $266.60 as a new hire. If a team makes the post season and they play, they get time and a half at $19.35 an hour or in other terms, they could make an extra $12.90 per post season game. Pretty good gig if you can get it. Then 2nd year students might get a boost of 3.0%, make their hourly rate $13.29, and 3rd year they get a 4.0% raise to $13.82, and 4th year they get a big bonus of 5.0% to $14.51.

Or we pay them like a roofer, plumber, or an attorney on contingent basis. If they win the game---they get paid. Regardless of how much time they play. You don’t pay a roofer for a leaky roof, or a plumber to give you hot water out of the cold faucet, or an attorney not to win your personal injury case.

Well…that’s my $.02 on the matter and that’s I have to say about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                        All athletes should be treated like employees, like the rest of us.

First year student-athletes, (i.e., new hires) and as such, should be paid the federal minimum wage of $12.90 an hour. So for example: Most teams have 31 games and there are 40 minutes per game, which equals about 20.67 hours per season or $266.60 as a new hire. If a team makes the post season and they play, they get time and a half at $19.35 an hour or in other terms, they could make an extra $12.90 per post season game. Pretty good gig if you can get it. Then 2nd year students might get a boost of 3.0%, make their hourly rate $13.29, and 3rd year they get a 4.0% raise to $13.82, and 4th year they get a big bonus of 5.0% to $14.51.

Or we pay them like a roofer, plumber, or an attorney on contingent basis. If they win the game---they get paid. Regardless of how much time they play. You don’t pay a roofer for a leaky roof, or a plumber to give you hot water out of the cold faucet, or an attorney not to win your personal injury case.

So all of their practice time is free? That's not going to fly.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                          All athletes should be treated like employees, like the rest of us.

What you're really saying is "All athletes should be treated like employees, unlike all other college students that are treated like students."

BLECH

I REALLY don't want my ticket purchases and SASO donations funding social security and medicare taxes, federal income taxes, state unemployment taxes, and state income taxes when these _students_ are NOT employees. Just like any student can create a company and sell their name, image, and likeness, so be it with the student athletes that want to. But those students are self-employed entrepreneurs and should be treated as such. Let them pay their own taxes and handle their own books and not put that burden on athletic departments.

And if this does go the direction of treating students like employees, and thus follow the stupid pro taxes where California and New York charge their heinous income tax rates to Kansas sports professionals whenever a match occurs in Cali or NY ... well ... hell no to playing any schools in those and other high tax states. And paying special taxes if the tournament is held in [insert every state here] for those that make it into the NCAA tournament? What a cluster****.

BUT .... all that said ... I'll concede making student athletes into employed athletes IF you will cancel the federal student loan program entirely.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

So all of their practice time is free? That's not going to fly.

Comment

No TV exposure? I doubt that. "Our league" would be the most competitive in the country. It would be college kids busting their asses again for the pride of their school (and playing time).

It would be a good idea to rebalance all the leagues as well ensuring everybody is tight regionally - reversing any stupid cross-country realignment decisions.
                              I like your dream, but if there is tv, there will be money involved, if money is involved NIL will be in effect unless Congress addresses the amateur athlete situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I like your dream, but if there is tv, there will be money involved, if money is involved NIL will be in effect unless Congress addresses the amateur athlete situation.
                                All NCAAA profits could be disbursed throughout the membership for athletic competition expenses. And I mean ALL profits disbursed. The NCAAA could be like a large conference with smaller regional conferences inside. NCAAA media profits could go towards training facility stipends all the way up to conference charter planes leased out at cost to member schools.

Sounds a tiny bit communistic, but this model would leave the competition to the coaching staff hires, the educational prowess of the school, the fanbase support, and other non-specific college quality-of-life experiences.

You know... like HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE.............

So I've solved the issue with college athletics. Who wants to march down Main St. with me?

giphy.gif

And as far as the legal rulings go.. I'll address that in another part of the forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X