A New Type of NIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

It's already been mentioned you can earmark a donation for a certain sport.

And if one wanted to do the math, based on the quick numbers that Saal threw out about how much he wants to see available for Basketball....etc. I am sure we could piece that information together some. At least ballpark....
    Thanks

Comment

• Since it seems like SN folks are responding to the call I wonder how "The Faithful" are responding.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
        Since it seems like SN folks are responding to the call I wonder how "The Faithful" are responding.
        Honestly, even with all the disagreements....I feel like SN IS the true faithful.

So I am sure they are just complaining over and over
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I was thinking about this today. I don’t know what it was, but something hit me with ADKS describing all of the living alumni around the world and needing 5000 to give $500.

I have another year of daycare for my daughter, which takes a not-small chunk out of my budget. Let me get through that, and then eff it, I’m in. I need to get back to supporting Shocker Basketball with dollars. I still think pay-for-play stinks, but this is the way of the world now, so get me to next summer and I’ll get signed up.
          Last edited by WuShock16; March 29, 2024, 11:37 PM.
          78-65

Comment

• Just from us alone, we are making serious progress. Not just in dollars but in getting that buy in back. Exciting time to be a Shocker, and hopefully we are rewarded this weekend.
            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Maybe I just have such little hope and expectations for women's basketball, but I'd rather see NIL funds on the women's side more dedicated to Softball and Volleyball. Softball is very relevant right now in their sport and it is a sport that is growing in popularity. They will be adding more seats to Wilkins over the next few years if fundraising continues in the right direction.

Volleyball has slipped, but we've seen that it can be played at a high level here and that we've seen some pretty good attendance numbers over the years. I'm pretty sure they draw better than WBB, or at least have in the past. I don't mind women's basketball, but volleyball and softball are a lot more entertaining and I think softball has a lot of potential. Especially if NIL can help lure and/or keep a top end pitcher here.

If I'm honest, the three sports I care the most about at WSU are MBB, SB, and VB. I know most people are going to give to the general fund or MBB, so when I get to a point to give (I keep having unexpected expenses hitting me) I'll probably donate to SB and maybe VB specifically as I feel they're generally overlooked and underappreciated. This will probably have to wait until after summer as I'm already committed to the HR donation for softball and I need to get some of my expenses down. Softball team has 50 HRs so far so we're well into 4 digits. Which isn't a great amount as a whole, but with where I'm at currently and the unplanned expenses I've had over the last few months things are tight.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I'm not sure this is really a marketing angle you would want to officially take, but considering that there will still be scholarship and Alston fund needs, someone who finds the whole NIL thing "icky" can still be very helpful by contributing to SASO.

And with the NIL side, while the stated goal of 5000 at $500 is important, every little bit helps. 1000 people donating at $10 a month generates a gross of $120,000 annually.
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Maybe I just have such little hope and expectations for women's basketball, but I'd rather see NIL funds on the women's side more dedicated to Softball and Volleyball. Softball is very relevant right now in their sport and it is a sport that is growing in popularity. They will be adding more seats to Wilkins over the next few years if fundraising continues in the right direction.

Volleyball has slipped, but we've seen that it can be played at a high level here and that we've seen some pretty good attendance numbers over the years. I'm pretty sure they draw better than WBB, or at least have in the past. I don't mind women's basketball, but volleyball and softball are a lot more entertaining and I think softball has a lot of potential. Especially if NIL can help lure and/or keep a top end pitcher here.

If I'm honest, the three sports I care the most about at WSU are MBB, SB, and VB. I know most people are going to give to the general fund or MBB, so when I get to a point to give (I keep having unexpected expenses hitting me) I'll probably donate to SB and maybe VB specifically as I feel they're generally overlooked and underappreciated. This will probably have to wait until after summer as I'm already committed to the HR donation for softball and I need to get some of my expenses down. Softball team has 50 HRs so far so we're well into 4 digits. Which isn't a great amount as a whole, but with where I'm at currently and the unplanned expenses I've had over the last few months things are tight.
                  I don't disagree. But just do what it takes to be successful. I doubt it takes as much $$$ to maintain softball or volleyball at a high level then it would even women's basketball.

I think that is why there is a target for each sport.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Meanwhile, with a new coach in place at the University of Louisville, here is their version of fan NIL support -

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

I don't disagree. But just do what it takes to be successful. I doubt it takes as much $$$ to maintain softball or volleyball at a high level then it would even women's basketball.

I think that is why there is a target for each sport.
                      I’m probably being too optimistic, but I still believe women’s basketball has potential here. Do we have the coach to do it? I’m hoping we do. This recruiting season should tell us a lot.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

Yeah, this is what I have a huge problem with. 100k for softball, 300-500k for baseball sure. But 6 figures for WBB? Think he said 200k for softball? I am not a fan of that at all. Top 120 in all sports makes us irrelevant nationally. Hell, top 25 in everything but MBB makes us irrelevant. The goal should be top 30 in hoops, top 50 in baseball and top half in everything else
                        Maybe they are looking at some current NCAA men's basketball players who are looking to "transition" to women's basketball and they need the NIL to sign them?

Comment

• It seems to me that the amounts associated with each particular sport are just goals. If donors elect to give to a particular sport then that NIL donation goes into that sports bucket so as to say. If a particular sports bucket does not get filled I would assume that is the amount that sport has to allocate. I really don't care what the numbers are for any sport or how they were derived. I only care about the sport that I selected to receive my NIL donation. OK I do care about the other sports and hope those that enjoy those sports step up and support them. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Hope Chase is reading this and is inspired to show T. Boone Pickens (may he RIP) just how small his pocket change was in comparison!!
                            The Assman

Comment

• Also, proud of all of you.

Give me a few months and I’ll be in as well.
                              The Assman

Comment

• MBB, BB, VB, SB should get the lions share, for sure. Don’t forget about our excellent T&F/CC programs as well.

Back-to-Back AAC Men’s Champs! With the new stadium improvements coming as well, hope the collective can help keep the momentum going in some way for them as well.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X