No announcement yet.

2013 Sears ESPN Bracketbuster Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BB was a great idea when it originated, but has since fallen off to the point where it is no longer useful, imo. Yes that is two games WSU has to schedule, surely that can be done. I would suggest taking a buyout game once in a while. WSU got paid very well to go beat 'Cuse. I'm not saying this team, this year is on that level, but I don't see why WSU should shy away from buy games similar to what we have at IBA. Surely there is an opportunity for a KU @ Sprint Center (example only) type of game somewhere. I know WSU doesn't like giving up home games for the revenue, but one every couple of years would not hurt the program. Especially if the buyouts were taken on with an experienced team (next year?).

I will note that the Tennessee H/H is a very very good series. One of those and get Oral Roberts & Tulsa on the schedule each year and you have a decent non-con when you factor in the MTEs.
    -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
      This seems to be getting a little heated and unfriendly.

So here's a kitten in a cast:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]462[/ATTACH]

Hahahahaha
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Since ESPN has not released the teams that are participating in this Seasons Bracketbuster games I went ahead and took a stab at what teams are likely to be involved and who I would like to see as possible matchups. If ESPN ever decides to release who the participating teams are, I will add or subtract teams as warranted.

As a comparison, last year, only two teams (out of the top 15 games) were matched based on the #RPI so it is very difficult to pick the matchup games but I will do it any way later on in the season. However, using RPI did correctly pick 23 out of 26 teams (88 percent) who made the TV games.

I’ll update the list on December 3rd, January 31st, and then each following Monday until the actual teams are paired up. I have included each team, their RPI from last year, their conference, the Media Poll ranking, and if they participated in post-season play last year.

WUSHOCK REAPER’S TOP 15 BRACKETBUSTER AWAY TEAMS AS OF TODAY (11/09/12)"

Tier 1
        1. Murray State (RPI #21) - Ohio Valley (picked 1 of 12) and participated in the NCAA Tourney
        2. Davidson (RPI #67) - Southern (picked 1 of 12) and participated in the NCAA Tourney
        3. Ohio (RPI #42) - Mid-American (picked 1 of 12) and participated in the NCAA Tourney
        4. Oral Roberts (RPI #65) – Southland (picked 1 of 10) and participated in the NIT Tourney
        5. South Dakota State (RPI #50) – Summit League (picked 1 of 9) and participated in the NCAA Tourney

Tier 2
        6. Utah State (RPI #124) – WAC (picked 1 of 10) and participated in the CIT Tourney
        7. New Mexico State (RPI #64) - WAC (picked 2 of 10) and participated in the NCAA Tourney
        8. Iona (RPI #48) - Metro Atlantic (picked 1 of 10) and participated in the NCAA Tourney
        9. Weber State (RPI #73) - Big Sky (picked 1 of 9) and participated in the CIT Tourney
        10. Vermont (RPI #129) – American East (picked 1 of 9) and participated in the NCAA Tourney

Tier 3
        11. Cleveland State (RPI #89) - Horizon (picked 4 of 9) and participated in the NIT Tourney
        12. Montana (RPI #78) – Big Sky (picked 2 of 9) and participated in the NCAA Tourney
        13. Loyola-Maryland (RPI #75) - Metro Atlantic (picked 2 of 10) and participated in the NCAA Tourney
        14. Kent State (RPI #114) – Mid-America (picked 5 of 12) and participated in the CIT Tourney
        15. Green Bay (RPI #151) - Horizon (picked 3 of 9) and did not participate in post season play
        Last edited by WuShock Reaper; November 9, 2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I'll take a stab. I think it's more simple than your own follow up response, but pretty similar.

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          What I do know is that the other top non-BCS conferences, of which we compare ourselves to, did not feel, or no longer feel, the need to be a part of the BB as well as some of the top teams from conferences that do participate. Why??
          Because they have won enough in the NCAA tourney to be a name brand and can get other name brand teams to play them.

Wouldn't they have the same scheduling problems?
          Before they were having success in the NCAA tournament? Yes. Now? No.

Wouldn't the reasons some give to be in the BB be a plus for these conferences as well?
          See last answer.

Why is the MVC the only top non-BCS still in the BB?
          Lack of sustained success in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

i thought it was the CAA's choice to leave bracketbusters. didnt they sign a deal with nbc for their games and that took them out of the bracketbusters?

Comment

Originally posted by fuball7 View Post
              i thought it was the CAA's choice to leave bracketbusters. didnt they sign a deal with nbc for their games and that took them out of the bracketbusters?
              Because they signed a deal with NBC, ESPN kicked them out of BB. It wasn't the choice of the CAA
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                Because they signed a deal with NBC, ESPN kicked them out of BB. It wasn't the choice of the CAA

gotcha

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  Since ESPN has not released the teams that are participating in this Seasons Bracketbuster games
                  The list is and has been out for a while. I know the Creighton media guide has a page listing all of the home and road teams.

Comment

If you don't understand what is being said, certainly do not put other words into someone's mouth. HCGM may not be unlike most successful D-I coaches. For the same reasons we find it hard to get teams equal or better than we are to play h/h, HCGM would legitimately hesitate to play h/h against those teams he feels of equal, but in particularly, lesser stature. It's a calculated decision on what one feels is the best way to succeed nationally with the least amount of risk. ADES has obligations to the fans and donors. Do we have fewer home games and risk losing on the road or stay the course? Both have there risks in basketball stature and dollars. They get paid the big bucks to make those decisions and I'm more than willing to back what Marshall wants.

All I'm saying is that the best BB games that are now left to play are also games I feel we could schedule h/h for if the BB went away and if HCGM wanted those games. Difference is, we select the teams and the times we want to play, not during the end of a potentially heated conference race.

Sub can speak for himself, but I believe we think somewhat alike on the issue of non-con road games, the "Gonzaga approach" if you will. It is a high risk, high potential reward approach, but if you do well, it will do wonders for your program. As fans, we have the luxury of playing war games. Truth is, if I was in Marshall's shoes, I may not do those things I'm now talking about. Just don't know.

What I do know is that the other top non-BCS conferences, of which we compare ourselves to, did not feel, or no longer feel, the need to be a part of the BB as well as some of the top teams from conferences that do participate. Why?? Wouldn't they have the same scheduling problems? Wouldn't the reasons some give to be in the BB be a plus for these conferences as well? Why is the MVC the only top non-BCS still in the BB?
                    It appears I got no takers to answer my 4 questions in the final paragraph of my last post here. I guess one must assume that the answer is that the Valley is so much more wise than all of it's counterpart conferences.

Let's try this one: Name the top 5 (or 10) non-BCS, non-Valley teams, you want WSU to be compared to. I'll give you mine: Xavier, Gonzaga, UNLV, New Mexico, BYU, San Diego State, VCU, Butler, George Mason, and, though it pains me, Memphis. How many of these teams have never competed in the BB and how many no longer do? Why? They don't need to. They have either long term or recent history of continued success winning regular season championships, conference championships, key regular season wins, continued NCAA appearances, and/or 1 or more good runs in the Dance. We have all those same opportunities available to us with or without the BB.

By the way, I understand that WSU will probably be in the BB for as long as the MVC wants it that way or the BB dies. Nevertheless, the problem in continuing to be in the BB is who the media and outside fans (and possibly those 4/5 star recruits) compare you to. Much less successful conferences and small-time conferences. They are lead by the likes of the Davidson, Murray St, Belmont, and Oral Roberts who also dominate their respective conferences or flash-in-the-pans if not them. The risk/reward for the Valley teams is not favorable. You win, they say you should have....the Valley is the big fish in the little pond. You lose.....well that's just not going to look good in the papers at all.
                    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    I'll take a stab. I think it's more simple than your own follow up response, but pretty similar.

Because they have won enough in the NCAA tourney to be a name brand and can get other name brand teams to play them.

Before they were having success in the NCAA tournament? Yes. Now? No.

See last answer.

Lack of sustained success in the NCAA tournament.
                    So, you're saying the Valley is what many posters don't want to hear, a second tier non-BCS conference (can also read, second tier mid-major conference). Also, since those first tier non-BCS conferences are such, primarily due to the performance of one or two teams within their conferences (all of whom have their share of bottomfeeders), that the Valley has no such teams, therefore, the Valley contains only second tier non-BCS teams (regardless of what they spend on their programs because it's all about performance).

As such, we can act like the second tier conference we appear to be and play in such things as the BB which does nothing to help rid that second tier image to the general college basketball fan or to many quality recruits.

I'll repeat: The best BB games that are now left to play are also games we could schedule h/h for if the BB went away and if HCGM wanted those games. Difference is, we select the teams and the times we want to play, not during the end of a potentially heated conference race. Those that disagree, please help the rest of us understand.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
                      The list is and has been out for a while. I know the Creighton media guide has a page listing all of the home and road teams.
                      Can you tell me what page on the Creighton media guide has all of the announced teams that are particpating this year?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                        Can you tell me what page on the Creighton media guide has all of the announced teams that are particpating this year?

Thanks
                        Unfortunately, I didn't memorize the page number, but am 100% certain that there is one. If you want to look for yourself, you can find the media guide at gocreighton.com

Comment

So, you're saying the Valley is what many posters don't want to hear, a second tier non-BCS conference (can also read, second tier mid-major conference). Also, since those first tier non-BCS conferences are such, primarily due to the performance of one or two teams within their conferences (all of whom have their share of bottomfeeders), that the Valley has no such teams, therefore, the Valley contains only second tier non-BCS teams (regardless of what they spend on their programs because it's all about performance).

As such, we can act like the second tier conference we appear to be and play in such things as the BB which does nothing to help rid that second tier image to the general college basketball fan or to many quality recruits.

I'll repeat: The best BB games that are now left to play are also games we could schedule h/h for if the BB went away and if HCGM wanted those games. Difference is, we select the teams and the times we want to play, not during the end of a potentially heated conference race. Those that disagree, please help the rest of us understand.
                          Kind of. Those other conferences are the same tier overall, they are just more top heavy in that they have had a couple teams with major success and bringing in a ton of money due to that success. If the top name brand teams don't want to do BB, they go along because they are getting paid due to name brand's NCAA runs. Why would they do something to piss of the golden goose? This is all speculation of course -- do those elite programs share their winnings with the rest of the conference, I don't even know that for certain. If so, then if those two teams leave each conference the other teams will be back to BB for guaranteed good games on their schedule.

If it was that easy that HCGM could schedule a desirable H/H with all those other teams at the drop of a hat .. then he can do that IN CONJUNCTION with BB. BB hasn't stopped him from doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            Kind of. Those other conferences are the same tier overall, they are just more top heavy in that they have had a couple teams with major success and bringing in a ton of money due to that success. If the top name brand teams don't want to do BB, they go along because they are getting paid due to name brand's NCAA runs. Why would they do something to piss of the golden goose? This is all speculation of course -- do those elite programs share their winnings with the rest of the conference, I don't even know that for certain. If so, then if those two teams leave each conference the other teams will be back to BB for guaranteed good games on their schedule.

If it was that easy that HCGM could schedule a desirable H/H with all those other teams at the drop of a hat .. then he can do that IN CONJUNCTION with BB. BB hasn't stopped him from doing so.
                            Yup. That's kind of what I said. CU, UNI, and WSU have been the "top teams" for the Valley, but none have done what the best teams from other top non-BCS conferences have done.

As for the last statement, I'm thinking that, yes, HCGM could schedule them in conjunction with BB. However, I'm guessing he feels most of those teams should be "buy-in" teams and that, for the same reason we don't get H/H with teams above us, the risk is too high for the reward.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
                              Unfortunately, I didn't memorize the page number, but am 100% certain that there is one. If you want to look for yourself, you can find the media guide at gocreighton.com
                              No Thanks - I'm afraid I might catch something

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
                                No Thanks - I'm afraid I might catch something
                                I really don't understand the creighton animosity. I mean really, just make sure your tetanus shot is up to date, and be sure to get a tb skin test when you get back.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X