2013 Sears ESPN Bracketbuster Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the home and away teams:

As expected, the prospects for WSU getting a decent opponent are slim.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Here are the home and away teams:

As expected, the prospects for WSU getting a decent opponent are slim.
      Ohio might be our best bet at the moment (currently #44 in Kenpom and we are #43).
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

What hurts us are some of the other home teams like Murray St, Utah St and Davidson. We have to hope we're the top RPI team among the hosts.

Comment

Can we all finally agree that this thing sucks? The only visiting schools worth a damn are in the Valley. We have to hope and pray for a couple of these schools to have tremendous years to be worth playing in late Feb.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
            Ohio might be our best bet at the moment (currently #44 in Kenpom and we are #43).
            That or SDSU. Very few good visiting teams outside of our own conference. It does feel like we aren't getting much out of this event, in terms of potential RPI opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
              Just win baby.
              :good:
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                That or SDSU. Very few good visiting teams outside of our own conference. It does feel like we aren't getting much out of this event, in terms of potential RPI opponents.
                Yeah, I thought of them as well. The only good thing about our position is that Creighton and Illinois State are both road teams which means A) we won't be competing with what are probably the other top 3 MVC teams for opponents and B) other top RPI home teams will likely be paired with those two, leaving a greater chance of WSU getting one of the few good non-MVC road teams. It isn't a field that is very exciting, but all we need is for the team we get to have a good RPI, not the whole field, so we'll see.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

RPIForecast Projected Top 100 BB Teams:

Home:WSU 33, Belmont 63, Valpo 65, Utah St. 75, UNI* 91, St. Mary's 93, Murray St 97, Youngstown St 100

Away: CU* 17, Ill St* 44, Detroit 81, Ohio 87, SDSU 92

Secondary Conferences not participating with teams in Top 100: CAA - Drexel, George Mason, Delaware. Patriot - Bucknell, Lehigh. Sun Belt - Mid TN. Ivy - Harvard.

Top 100 teams not participating whose conference does: Gonzaga, BYU, New Mexico St.

That's 10 teams in the Top 100 whose "secondary conference" does not play or conference does play but they don't. That is more teams than the Top 100 non-Valley teams who do participate, 9.

That's no MWC, Atl-10, or C-USA PLUS no CAA, Patriot, Sun Belt or Ivy.

Pardon me if I think the 3 projected potenetial opponents for the Shox are buy-in teams. As others here have said about other subjects in different threads.....that SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    Pardon me if I think the 3 projected potenetial opponents for the Shox are buy-in teams. As others here have said about other subjects in different threads.....that SUCKS.
                    It sucks that we got a guaranteed top 100 and HC3G didn't have to do any work to get that matchup?
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      It sucks that we got a guaranteed top 100 and HC3G didn't have to do any work to get that matchup?
                      It SUCKS we have to make a return visit to maybe SDSU instead of another home buy-in game with Ohio. Also that we have to play this game during the stretch run of a heated conference race. Just what other teams in the BB do you compare us to. The answer should be none. No other comparable team or conference is left to play. Even many of the conferences that do play in it, only have a few of their teams in it.

Comment

I'll also add that the name Bracket Busters probably no longer applies to any team in the field except Valley teams. All the conferences that are left are one bid conferences. A team beats CU or WSU, they're not Dancing unless they win their conference tourney.

Also, probably no Valley team will get in because of who they beat in the BB because the quality is just not there. On the other hand, it is very possible that a Valley team could get knocked out of the Dance if they slip up. I know, just win. Well odd things happen and when teams are concentrating on a conference race against generally better opponents than in the BB, this may be something hard to get up for.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                          It SUCKS we have to make a return visit to maybe SDSU instead of another home buy-in game with Ohio. Also that we have to play this game during the stretch run of a heated conference race. Just what other teams in the BB do you compare us to. The answer should be none. No other comparable team or conference is left to play. Even many of the conferences that do play in it, only have a few of their teams in it.
                          True, the best conferences out there have bowed out. I'll give you that. And it does suck that the game is in the middle of conference play. I'll give you that too.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I'd take Ohio, Detroit, or SDSU. At this point--though it is very early in the season--any match up other than those three would be a pointless game for us. Does ESPN at least give us money for playing in this $hitty tournament or whatever you call it? It better be a lot of money.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                              I'd take Ohio, Detroit, or SDSU. At this point--though it is very early in the season--any match up other than those three would be a pointless game for us. Does ESPN at least give us money for playing in this $hitty tournament or whatever you call it? It better be a lot of money.
                              Not opposed to playing these three at all. The rub is WHEN we have to play the game and that we are drawing higher profile teams from higher profile conferences for one and dones at IBA. These teams should be one and dones at Koch. I guess it comes down to 2 questions: 1) Do you want to pay them to come here over making a return trip there and/or 2) Would you rather have ESPN set the games up, be at the mercy of who they pair you up with, play the game during the conference stretch run or work at getting who you want to play from the same pool of teams, whether it is a one and done or H/H, but play the game(s) during the non-con season.

Comment

I'll have something to say about the teams that are particapating this seaon after I calm down. I'm pissed!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X