WSU (10-14, 2-9), at ECU ((12-12, 5-6) GAME THREAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Are you implying those traits are mutually exclusive? High BBIQ very frequently, but not always, goes hand-in-hand with good general intelligence. And good work ethic in the classroom often goes hand-in-hand with good work ethic on the court or field.
    I think Mills used GPA to try to get high BIQ players that could learn his complex motion options quickly and missed on all. I agree that high BIQ players usually have have high GPA, but the inverse is not the same. I think these recruits were a whiff of colossal proportions. We have seen that the system works when they choose to run it. These guys just don’t have the mental fortitude for D1 ball.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I believe the discussion regarding Brown has little to do with his coaching skills and more with "Was WSU in a position financially to make a solid hire to follow up fHCGM". One thing that Brown had going for him was his assistants and their recruiting chops. Of course, had Brown been retained for another year, would those assistants still have been with him? Who and how many may they had already a good chance to get? Would Pipkin and Williams have come? Most is all speculation with the exception of our financial situation. I have a feeling that by not retaining 3G, an awful lot of money disappeared. Would it have been better to bite the bullet with Brown or possibly dig ourselves a deeper, longer hole with a "hopefully good hire".

I hope I'm wrong, but after digging deeper into Mills' "experience" at Baylor and ORU, I was left with more questions than a positive outlook.
      Pipkin and Williams are not here

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

IB was a worse coach but had far superior players. We had 4 NBA caliber players on his first team (of course 3G leftovers), but still, IB was instrumental in the recruiting process. IB was a good recruiter, and maybe a good 3rd assistant but he should have never been promoted to HC. That's whey we are where we are now. I actually like the offense we run now, we just have horrible players. Some of them could be hidden on more talented teams but many of them should be playing at a lower level. 3G would never put up with the type of boneheaded plays our guys exhibited last night. You can't really shake up the lineup because the next guys down are just as bad or worse (I'm leaving Joy out of this until proven otherwise).
        Prove he was a worse coach....I'll hang up and listen...

And trust me...I saw IB's flaws.....

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          We should honestly leave the discussion about IB on the vine. I believe he gave it his all, and you cannot question his intentions.

That being said.....

You HAVE to understand that he wasn't ready to run the program OFF the floor. He just wasn't, period. HCPM is already an immeasurable amount ahead in behind the scenes progress. And I fully understand the product on the floor has to improve and that improvement must come quickly. But the other stuff was completely unsustainable under the previous regime. It had to change.

It may have to change again, time will tell, but it's not going to be due to poor management off the court.
          I will concede that I have not lived in Wichita in some time and have no awareness of any off-the-court involvement of the coach. If it was time for Brown to go, it was time.

But it really felt like we got our third or fourth option as a head coach, and that just boggles my mind. When the program is in the financial situation it's in, the LAST thing we need is to be paying yet another coach we're going to have to let go before his contract runs out. From the outside, it looks sloppy and slapped together when you have people PUBLICLY saying they turned the job down.
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Pipkin and Williams are not here
            I don't want to think about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Prove he was a worse coach....I'll hang up and listen...

And trust me...I saw IB's flaws.....
              I’ll keep it brief without getting into the nitty gritty:

1. Joe Pleasant minutes - look them up and look who was on that roster
              2. The way he ran the team Tyson’s senior year was a disaster and injustice to Tyson’s development as well as the rest of the team
              3. A coach has to be more involved with the alumni/donors. He ran them off.

I don’t know what you consider proof, or are you only talking about offense and defensive schemes?

Comment

2. The way he ran the team Tyson’s senior year was a disaster and injustice to Tyson’s development as well as the rest of the team

I don’t know what you consider proof, or are you only talking about offense and defensive schemes?
                I agree for the most part ...

I might be able to argue on #2 that HCPM is basically doing the same thing with Bell that HCIB did with Etienne though. Bell seems to have the green light to do whatever he wants similar to what Etienne did.

Your point still stands overall though. That first one is probably the thing that truly buried HCIB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I might be able to argue on #2 that HCPM is basically doing the same thing with Bell that HCIB did with Etienne though. Bell seems to have the green light to do whatever he wants similar to what Etienne did.

Your point still stands overall though. That first one is probably the thing that truly buried HCIB.
                  I think Bell has a shorter leash than Etienne. I’ve never seen someone so green lit as Etienne.

Comment

Etienne shot 35% his last year, Bell is shooting 43% this year. Different shots, obviously, but Bell is much more efficient and has less offensive options on his team.

Comment

I would cast a vote for #3. When I was told by a reliable source that IB declined an invite to go celebrate with donors after the 2021 Houston win, I knew that he could not be our head coach. It might not be fair, but especially at a school like WSU, you MUST rub elbows with the big-money guys.
                      78-65

Comment

3. Don't BS us Dan. The alumni/donors ran him off and KS sat back and screwed it all up because he couldn't exercise forethought, or the cajones, as the evidence now indicates. I hope I'm wrong about HCPM of course, but yes, most obviously (Stevie Wonder saw it) the alumni/donors certainly got their wish. Here's to hoping the alumni/donors dump KS next (for incompetence), if this ugly development prevails.

Now this isn't necessarily and endorsement of the last 3 years fyi, but what we saw Thursday was an unequivocal embarrassment. And oh yeah, RCIV averaged more minutes per game...
                        Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 17, 2024, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X