Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
    If Scott Drew takes the UK job does Baylor take a look at Mills?
    Good Lord that would be a dream come true if Mills got adopted.

Firing Marshall killed half my love for this program. Hiring Mills just about killed the rest. NIL dusted everything with a fresh coat of ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Hiring Mills just about killed the rest.
      Can't believe you wouldn't approve of a Head Coach with a pocket protector

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Can't believe you wouldn't approve of a Head Coach with a pocket protector
        Sure, I'd take Mark Few. We don't have Mark Few.

I'm loudly on record as wanting Rick Pitino the second Marshall cleared out his locker. And it was the right call. We wouldn't have skipped a beat. In fact, we might have improved. His staff surely would have had us "FIRST" to the NIL game. And when I say first, I mean first like how the ChicKUnCheats were first. Just hand him the keys to Marshall's jet and stand back. Can you imagine Pitino making a few personal calls to our biggest boosters? "I loved playing you guys in the Final Four. I have so much respect for this program. And we're gonna get back into the national conversation faster than you can say sex worker.

We would only need him for 3 years until his replacement could be groomed. Or maybe he wins like crazy and coaches for 5-7 more years. He would be in his 4th year now had he signed on at the end of 2020.

Comment

• The only way I am not freaking out about landing a top PG is if our incoming freshman is truly a stud and can be D1 ready by last part of the season, and the Cortes we get is the Cortes that played the last two games of this season.

I can live with developing a young stud PG behind Cortes if we can go .500+, be in the at large discussion, and have a high liklihood of retaining the potential stud for 3 or 4 years.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            The only way I am not freaking out about landing a top PG is if our incoming freshman is truly a stud and can be D1 ready by last part of the season, and the Cortes we get is the Cortes that played the last two games of this season.

I can live with developing a young stud PG behind Cortes if we can go .500+, be in the at large discussion, and have a high liklihood of retaining the potential stud for 3 or 4 years.
            agree, and might actually be for the best long term. Sort of like Armstead to VanVleet. We also still have Bell in a pinch, who really tightened up his handles last year as the season went on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              The only way I am not freaking out about landing a top PG is if our incoming freshman is truly a stud and can be D1 ready by last part of the season, and the Cortes we get is the Cortes that played the last two games of this season.

It'll just be nice to actually have a second PG. Feels like we haven't had two PGs since Gilbert/Porter.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

It'll just be nice to actually have a second PG. Feels like we haven't had two PGs since Gilbert/Porter.
                Exactly. Even if one is a young jedi apprentice.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Something in favor of Cortes' improving is that he had basically sat for years before he was eligible second semester. The fact that he started off slow should not have surprised anybody. He hadn't seen serious court time since HS.

OU was able to put better PG's on the floor during Cortes' Fr and So years. Had Cortes been able to be a starter at OU in his So year, we wouldn't have been able to sniff his trail, let alone sign him.

JuCo players who get here, who have been playing significant minutes every year, take a semester or so to get going. Why would Cortes be different? The way he finished the year could be a sign of how he progressed and how he might be starting the year this year.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    Something in favor of Cortes' improving is that he had basically sat for years before he was eligible second semester. The fact that he started off slow should not have surprised anybody. He hadn't seen serious court time since HS.

OU was able to put better PG's on the floor during Cortes' Fr and So years. Had Cortes been able to be a starter at OU in his So year, we wouldn't have been able to sniff his trail, let alone sign him.

JuCo players who get here, who have been playing significant minutes every year, take a semester or so to get going. Why would Cortes be different? The way he finished the year could be a sign of how he progressed and how he might be starting the year this year.
                    True to a degree but perhaps overstated. He did play in 59 games at OU averaging 14.3 mpg in his 2 years. As a sophomore he played in 29 games averaging 17.1 mpg. So to say he basically sat for years is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. That said I thought he did show improvement at the end of this past season and I hope that carries over into his final season this fall and winter.

I think the bigger problem at OU was that when he did play he was allowed to develop bad habits that led to a high rate of turnovers and those habits needed to be broken and replaced with better habits and approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

True to a degree but perhaps overstated. He did play in 59 games at OU averaging 14.3 mpg in his 2 years. As a sophomore he played in 29 games averaging 17.1 mpg. So to say he basically sat for years is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. That said I thought he did show improvement at the end of this past season and I hope that carries over into his final season this fall and winter.

I think the bigger problem at OU was that when he did play he was allowed to develop bad habits that led to a high rate of turnovers and those habits needed to be broken and replaced with better habits and approach.
                      Thanks for the correction. He was getting more minutes at OU than I recalled. I should have checked stats before posting.

Comment

• Not sure where this belongs but I think it’s worth a mention…

A pretty decent contingent of K-State fans are pretty displeased with Tang right now.

He asked for and received a big bump in pay and NIL after flirting with Arkansas - then lost several notable guys on his current roster to the portal after coming up empty going after some other big fishes in the portal.

All this in my mind comes back to what Saal and Mills have said about NIL and portal… being “transactional” is not going to lead to a ton of success at most places.

There are certainly some that can get by with it (Idk the top 15-20 money spots) but K-State l, and to more of an extent, Wichita State, are not those places.

Maybe they’ll be back in the elite 8 this year and I’ll be wrong, but Tang is acting like he’s at Arkansas or Kentucky with the way he’s treated the past 2 offseasons and idk if that’s going work for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                          Not sure where this belongs but I think it’s worth a mention…

A pretty decent contingent of K-State fans are pretty displeased with Tang right now.

He asked for and received a big bump in pay and NIL after flirting with Arkansas - then lost several notable guys on his current roster to the portal after coming up empty going after some other big fishes in the portal.

All this in my mind comes back to what Saal and Mills have said about NIL and portal… being “transactional” is not going to lead to a ton of success at most places.

There are certainly some that can get by with it (Idk the top 15-20 money spots) but K-State l, and to more of an extent, Wichita State, are not those places.

Maybe they’ll be back in the elite 8 this year and I’ll be wrong, but Tang is acting like he’s at Arkansas or Kentucky with the way he’s treated the past 2 offseasons and idk if that’s going work for them.
                          The downside of coming out hot his first year. Yes, all of us would love for that to happen. But sets up some pretty tough expectations to maintain. Reality is setting in for them.
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• You could argue Isaac Brown came out hot

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              You could argue Isaac Brown came out hot
                              With a team of Marshall recruits who had been coached by Marshall up until November.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                You could argue Isaac Brown came out hot
                                And there were still red flags. I don't follow KSU so I have no idea if there were red flags that season or not.

I do know that Tang has about a million times more charisma than IB and PM.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X