Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Not having an NIL war chest IS NOT AN EXCUSE. It is a REASON. You wanna know why we got Mills? He was all we could afford. Wanna know why he recruited bench warmers? That's all our NIL could afford. Any reason that doesn't agree with you narrative is immediately labeled as an excuse. That way you can ignore any disagreement or criticism of your incredibly biased viewpoint.

You have absolutely no idea what obstacles Mills may have faced in recruiting last year, although it's pretty common knowledge that WSU wasn't going to be winning ANY NIL bidding wars. Without any actual knowledge of the situation, you constantly refer to his results as his failure to do his responsibilities as our coach.

That's like putting a shooter through shooting drills and he comes up with miserable results. Then someone points out that he had one hand tied to a chair and a 20-pound weight attached to his right ankle. Your reaction would still be, but he didn't make 20% of his shots. He is a miserable failure as a shooter.

You don't know what obstacles Mills faced, but you still call him a loser. Until you know some facts of the situation he faced it's time for you to shut your damned mouth. That will never happen because another of your posting habits is that you always have to have the last word. Having the last word is often the sign of a narcissist, adn an credibly immature one at that.
    Those are all excuses. And like most of your posts.. They are all things you made up in your head

Also no one called him a loser... Though we did do a lot of losing this year.
    ​​​​​
    He's not graded on sliding scale. He either wins.. Or gets fired

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I'm calling out an outright lie on this one. You DO NOT support him or you wouldn't be constantly pointing out that he's a failure. You do that without any knowledge of the situation he was facing when he got here.

You do not support Mills. You support your own tired bias and ONLY your own tired bias. You have cursed this board with your negative and uninformed bias for over a year.
      Responding to this in this thread rather than the transfer portal thread.

There are more than one way to support someone. If you have employees that are not meeting expectations, you are doing them no good to sugar coat everything and make excuses for their failures.

In fact, not making or accepting excuses and instead focusing on what they can do to improve going forward is one of the best things you can do.

I'm sorry that you think you need to coddle our coach so he doesn't get his feelings hurt. You have really low expectations, and that's disappointing.

But yes I do support him and the program in more ways than one and probably in more ways than some of the people constantly making excuses.
      ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        Sorry I don't think the shocker program being a low priority to our coach is acceptable like you do.
        ​​​​​​
        An insane comment with no reasonable proof or justification.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

An insane comment with no reasonable proof or justification.
          I agree, saying that the coach couldn't do his job because he first had to house shop and get settled in is an insane comment. Glad we are on the same page

Comment

I agree, saying that the coach couldn't do his job because he first had to house shop and get settled in is an insane comment. Glad we are on the same page
            I just think its ironic that anytime someone could provide an explanation for why recruiting in PM's first year went the way it did is brushed away as "just created in their head", meanwhile you post some nonsense about the coach not caring about the program.

Comment

• I think Stick forgot to take his meds this morning. Jeez...

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                I think Stick forgot to take his meds this morning. Jeez...
                Dude needs to go outside.

Comment

I just think its ironic that anytime someone could provide an explanation for why recruiting in PM's first year went the way it did is brushed away as "just created in their head", meanwhile you post some nonsense about the coach not caring about the program.
                  My whole point is .. why do we even need to make the excuses? .. that yes .. were made up in someone's head. I'd be REALLY worried if HCPM came out and blamed the recruiting on needing to house hunt.

By insinuating that the coach did all these other things instead of focusing on something that was time critical, THEY were the ones saying the coach didn't care about the program. Not me. I'm trying to say that no, those aren't the excuses, i think he was truly focused on the program .. he just swung and missed .. which happens and he HAS to do better this year. He doesn't have a long leash IMO.

Comment

My whole point is .. why do we even need to make the excuses? .. that yes .. were made up in someone's head. I'd be REALLY worried if HCPM came out and blamed the recruiting on needing to house hunt.

By insinuating that the coach did all these other things instead of focusing on something that was time critical, THEY were the ones saying the coach didn't care about the program. Not me. I'm trying to say that no, those aren't the excuses, i think he was truly focused on the program .. he just swung and missed .. which happens and he HAS to do better this year. He doesn't have a long leash IMO.
                    I think it is more likely that we missed out on recruits because we didn't have a real NIL program, which is something you claim is "just an excuse", than it is that he doesn't care about the program.

I don't really understand people creating scenarios, either way, for why we didn't get high-level recruits. I'm willing to give someone a year to figure out how to recruit to a new school before questioning his coaching ability, calling it a bad hire, accusing him of not caring about the program, etc. The truth is, WSU doesn't offer a lot of the things outside of basketball that kids are looking for, and right now we don't really have recent success with a coaching staff that we can use as a selling point either.

Comment

I think it is more likely that we missed out on recruits because we didn't have a real NIL program, which is something you claim is "just an excuse", than it is that he doesn't care about the program.

I don't really understand people creating scenarios, either way, for why we didn't get high-level recruits. I'm willing to give someone a year to figure out how to recruit to a new school before questioning his coaching ability, calling it a bad hire, accusing him of not caring about the program, etc. The truth is, WSU doesn't offer a lot of the things outside of basketball that kids are looking for, and right now we don't really have recent success with a coaching staff that we can use as a selling point either.
                      I accept the NIL thing more than the other excuses. That said, that's still Mills responsibility to figure out how to deal with. He's not getting extra years because of it.

If the NIL isn't there, he really has 3 options
                      • Find a way to recruit talented kids without NIL (Tough ..yes)
                      • Find a way to increase your NIL .. ie fundraising (this is part of his job, and part of the job the previous coach and admin sucked at)
                      • Find a way to win with lower talent (so far his success has been with talent above his peers .. ie Abmas playing in the summit league... so TBD on this)
                      If he's not able to do one of those 3 and we are still a Wednesday team by year 3 .. then he's likely not the best fit for WSU. No matter the excuses. Results matter .. no matter the excuse.

Calling things for how they are doesn't mean you are calling for him to be fired.

Comment

I accept the NIL thing more than the other excuses. That said, that's still Mills responsibility to figure out how to deal with. He's not getting extra years because of it.

• Find a way to increase your NIL .. ie fundraising (this is part of his job, and part of the job the previous coach and admin sucked at)
                        • Find a way to win with lower talent (so far his success has been with talent above his peers .. ie Abmas playing in the summit league... so TBD on this)
                        If he's not able to do one of those 3 and we are still a Wednesday team by year 3 .. then he's likely not the best fit for WSU. No matter the excuses. Results matter .. no matter the excuse.

Calling things for how they are doesn't mean you are calling for him to be fired.
                        Kind of agree with you that part of his job is having a good relationship with the people that provide money to the program. I don't believe his job is shouldering an NIL program, and I don't think any successful coach does that. Obviously they participate in fundraising events, but if the framework for an NIL program doesn't exist, it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Kind of agree with you that part of his job is having a good relationship with the people that provide money to the program. I don't believe his job is shouldering an NIL program, and I don't think any successful coach does that. Obviously they participate in fundraising events, but if the framework for an NIL program doesn't exist, it doesn't really matter.
                          Yea it's not 100% his responsibility.. But if the success of his job relies on it... He better find a way to improve it or deal without it is the point.

Comment

My GOD you're annoying today, Stick.

To your three points....

You can't recruit talented kids without NIL anymore. I don't normally entertain job offers from someone else in town at a starting salary of zero pay.
                            Increasing NIL, according to your numerous posts, is winning. That's the only way to get butts in seats, and PM acknowledged that by game 5.
                            You can win with lower talent in the Valley, but going against talented guys at Memphis (who make 6 figures in NIL) is a lot more difficult than it was five years ago.

I swear, this fan base since Marshall's last year has been astoundingly entitled, moreso than even our friends in the Little Apple.
                            "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                            Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Yea it's not 100% his responsibility.. But if the success of his job relies on it... He better find a way to improve it or deal without it is the point.
                              Coaches can only perform with what they've got. Not having a strong NIL program is a fault of the AD, and I don't think it should have any negative reflection on the coach. The school and the AD have to provide the resources, not the other way around. We can't ask our coaches to figure out how to get the resources to be good, and also do everything that they're responsible for to be good. There just isn't the time for that.

There's a reason why national media guys don't jump on Dawkins to be fired from UCF. He, reportedly, has asked for more support from the administration and they've refused. If our administration doesn't put our coaches in a position to succeed in the era of NIL, that's a reflection on the administration.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post

My GOD you're annoying today, Stick.

To your three points....

You can't recruit talented kids without NIL anymore. I don't normally entertain job offers from someone else in town at a starting salary of zero pay.
                                Increasing NIL, according to your numerous posts, is winning. That's the only way to get butts in seats, and PM acknowledged that by game 5.
                                You can win with lower talent in the Valley, but going against talented guys at Memphis (who make 6 figures in NIL) is a lot more difficult than it was five years ago.

I swear, this fan base since Marshall's last year has been astoundingly entitled, moreso than even our friends in the Little Apple.
                                Sigh. The people out to make excuses are EXTRA annoying today.

Sounds like you have given up on the program. Too many impossible barriers to over come. I haven't given up.

Comment

Working...
                                X