No announcement yet.

Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stickboy might want to see a doctor. His stiffy after another Shocker loss is going to last way more than 4 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      Stickboy might want to see a doctor. His stiffy after another Shocker loss is going to last way more than 4 hours.
      ??? I take it you are happy about what you saw today Mr 14 posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        Not getting Abmas to follow him might end up being one of the biggest misses of Mills career. Having him likely would have helped steady this year. Right now we are in a downward spiral which is only going to make his recruiting job harder
        Were you gonna put down a 6-digit donation to get him here?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

??? I take it you are happy about what you saw today Mr 14 posts?
          It’s just so obvious you take pleasure when they lose and play poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

It’s just so obvious you take pleasure when they lose and play poorly.
            I don't think you could count any of my posts today as "pleasure". With the exception of the post about that beautiful bell - Pohto - Degray play.

Comment

Not getting Abmas to follow him might end up being one of the biggest misses of Mills career. Having him likely would have helped steady this year. Right now we are in a downward spiral which is only going to make his recruiting job harder
              I wonder how much time PM spent on recruiting M. Abmas? He would have been a big help.

HCPM may have to really clean some players out and hit the portal hard. I really like the 2 incoming guards we have. Not sure about Bamba or Joy.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktheheck View Post
                OMG people, you can only coach the talent you are given, and the IB era brought in ZERO dudes. IB was blessed with incredible athletes left over form GM Era and the they promptly all vacated to to lack of NIL from the institution. PM has nothing to work with, the question will be what can he pull from the portal in the future. This staff needs 3 years to right the ship and I believe we will see significant change.
                A good chunk of this roster was brought in by Mills.

Now, if you want to say he needs a FULL CYCLE to recruit (and yes, even portal recruiting early...don't think it doesn't happen). Then that is fair. But he didn't exactly inherit a full roster from IB. Which I was pretty ok with honestly.

That said, this thread is stupid and premature. Sure, the pressure is on...I also think this is a 3 year minimum. But the seat is NOT hot.....
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I'll say the same thing I said in the game thread.

Paul Mills seems like a good guy. Maybe he's a good coach. Maybe we'll be a good team again some day. I certainly hope so. Right now, though, we've got no choice but to wait and see. I'm willing to give him time. Would certainly help if I saw something that looked like coaching, but there's nothing I can do about that.

But this team right now is worse than the team we had for the second half of last year. So, in a "what if" kind of world, what if we had kept Brown for one more year. Maybe the team would be better right now, maybe not. But, more importantly, my recollection was that Brown's contract was structured in such a way that we'd owe him a lot less if we fired him after this season than we are having to pay him after firing him last season. I imagine that would have given us more money to throw at a new coach.

Wasn't there some rumor that we went after DeVries but he claimed we weren't offering enough money?

Because if this is what we have to look forward to for the next three years, the program may have been much better off long-term by not jumping the gun on firing Brown until it was financially prudent to do so.

This is the same thing that Louisville is going through right now, too.
                  The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
                    I'll say the same thing I said in the game thread.

Paul Mills seems like a good guy. Maybe he's a good coach. Maybe we'll be a good team again some day. I certainly hope so. Right now, though, we've got no choice but to wait and see. I'm willing to give him time. Would certainly help if I saw something that looked like coaching, but there's nothing I can do about that.

But this team right now is worse than the team we had for the second half of last year. So, in a "what if" kind of world, what if we had kept Brown for one more year. Maybe the team would be better right now, maybe not. But, more importantly, my recollection was that Brown's contract was structured in such a way that we'd owe him a lot less if we fired him after this season than we are having to pay him after firing him last season. I imagine that would have given us more money to throw at a new coach.

Wasn't there some rumor that we went after DeVries but he claimed we weren't offering enough money?

Because if this is what we have to look forward to for the next three years, the program may have been much better off long-term by not jumping the gun on firing Brown until it was financially prudent to do so.
                    I had always assumed that if we were going to make the move last year instead of this year, we would only do it if we had a home run hire lined up. That wasn't the case.

If I remember right, by firing him last year we owed him 100% of the rest of the contract (3 years). After this season it would have been 50% of the remaining (so realistically a net 1 year). I still say moving on from HCIB was the right move. It's very TBD if the move after that was the right one

Comment

Konkol brought in a pretty nice group of transfers after Tulsa won 4 games last year so I don't think it's impossible to turn it around in one offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Konkol brought in a pretty nice group of transfers after Tulsa won 4 games last year so I don't think it's impossible to turn it around in one offseason.
                        That's fair. It's always possible. Though even if Tulsa is better, it would hard to be worse than they were last year. They are still 175 in KP.

Guess we will all see in the off season

Comment

I had always assumed that if we were going to make the move last year instead of this year, we would only do it if we had a home run hire lined up. That wasn't the case.
                          The names getting bounced around for the job made me think that WSU didn't have much money to spend, which made the decision to fire IB a year early even more suspect.

It seems like he's doing a great job in other areas, but if Paul Mills is handed a pink slip in 2026 I do wonder if Kevin Saal will be the one doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

The names getting bounced around for the job made me think that WSU didn't have much money to spend, which made the decision to fire IB a year early even more suspect.

It seems like he's doing a great job in other areas, but if Paul Mills is handed a pink slip in 2026 I do wonder if Kevin Saal will be the one doing it.
                            Might depend on how the baseball program looks

That said, I think ADKS is doing great in other areas. He might just need to delegate the hiring decisions if neither of these works out

Comment

I blame the AD. If the men’s basketball coach is a bust the AD is a bust and needs to go first.

Comment

That said, I think ADKS is doing great in other areas. He might just need to delegate the hiring decisions if neither of these works out
                                Definitely agree that ADKS is doing a good job overall. Hopefully HCPM turns things around and we can forget we ever debated this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X