WICHITA STATE (8-4) at KANSAS (11-1) Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

This is what I’m trying to do with college sports in general, outside of WSU of course. Just don’t watch.

I watched the first quarter of K-State’s bowl game only because I figured my wife would want to watch. Once I realized that she wasn’t watching and even left the house, I turned it off.

I think I want to turn into the dad from the RUDY movie…
    ”Mr. Ruettiger, at halftime, can we watch some of the Indiana-Purdue game?”
    ”There’s only one team we watch in this house.”
    You could be an adequate Ned Beatty.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Me walking into the Georgia Dome just as the Shocks were taking the floor to practice:

Doc: This is the most beautiful sight these eyes have ever seen.

Doc's Daughter: Come on, Dad.
      She was reminding you of the sea of red you used to see frequently

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

You could be an adequate Ned Beatty.
        Thanks?

78-65

Comment

Self wanted this game now because he’s still buttsore about Marshall bending him over for the nation to see. and not having scoreboard. Doc is absolutely correct. They could beat us 113-56 tomorrow but we won them when it mattered.

Suck on that, slobnobbers.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

This is what I’m trying to do with college sports in general, outside of WSU of course. Just don’t watch.

I watched the first quarter of K-State’s bowl game only because I figured my wife would want to watch. Once I realized that she wasn’t watching and even left the house, I turned it off.

I think I want to turn into the dad from the RUDY movie…
            ”Mr. Ruettiger, at halftime, can we watch some of the Indiana-Purdue game?”
            ”There’s only one team we watch in this house.”
            I had no desire to watch the KSU bowl game.... But damnit if the pop tart marketing team didn't knock it out of the park.

If they made that the national championship game...I might watch. Winner gets handed a trophy from a giant pop tart... Then they eat him.

Comment

The NCAA, with an assist from the courts, may have killed the goose that layed the golden egg. The opt out option for post-season play makes those games almost meaningless. It comes down to which players on a really good team who don't have a chance at the top leagues against the same for their opponent. Bowl games and the NCAA tourney are becoming which schools' JN team can beat another schools' JV team.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I haven't watched a college regular season football game in years, but I still enjoy watching a bowl game or two every year. Watched every minute of the K-State and Mizzou bowl games. Turned off the OU game after I thought they had it wrapped up. I was certainly surprised when I saw the score the next day. Cody Schrader for Mizzou is a fantastic story. I watched Avery Johnson play at Maize so wasn't willing to miss his first bowl game start. The games were just as enjoyable to watch as any other year. Don't let the stigma of a few transfers or opt outs get the best of you. There's plenty of young men out there who still love to play the game.

Back on topic, my family of 4 will be heading up to KC in a few hours and joining up with the rest of my inlaws. Not looking forward to entering the sea of blue and listening to their chants but I'll try to make the best of it. Go Shox!
                ​​​​
                Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

We shouldn’t be playing this game. Another strike on the AD for allowing it to be scheduled.

I’m in Wichita, think I’ll go watch the lady’s game at two and ignore the men’s game.

Comment

Are we going to get our asses kicked? Yup. Is this better than scheduling another friends? Also yup. We will learn more from this game than scheduling a cup cake. It's a win win. Either we go in, lose as expected, and gain a lot of knowledge about what we need to do to compete vs a Top 25 team (like we are going to have to do vs 2 conference teams). The other option is we win and it's a massive boost (unlikely)

As much as I hate Bill Self for not playing it's when we were elite, I understand it. Unless there is a state mandate, I doubt we will ever play again. So let's not be the side that chickened out.

Comment

• So how do the Shockers cover Dickinson ? Ballard is the better athlete, but not anywhere close as a player. KP is not tough enough. Abide too small. Wish Germany was in the discussion, but he isn't.

Comment

• I’m worried less about Dickinson than the guards driving the ball and transition baskets. It seems like when we turn it over it almost always results in a basket or high percentage look.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          Are we going to get our asses kicked? Yup. Is this better than scheduling another friends? Also yup. We will learn more from this game than scheduling a cup cake. It's a win win. Either we go in, lose as expected, and gain a lot of knowledge about what we need to do to compete vs a Top 25 team (like we are going to have to do vs 2 conference teams). The other option is we win and it's a massive boost (unlikely)

As much as I hate Bill Self for not playing it's when we were elite, I understand it. Unless there is a state mandate, I doubt we will ever play again. So let's not be the side that chickened out.
                          if we lose by 15-20-30 we will not learn a ****ing thing that we don't already know

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

if we lose by 15-20-30 we will not learn a ****ing thing that we don't already know
                            We will learn more than we did beating Friends by that amount.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

We will learn more than we did beating Friends by that amount.
                              Absolutely. Helpful to see which players can compete at their level and which ones are just in over their heads.

Comment

• Hopeful we’ve figured out how to defend a pick-n-roll, err, pick-n-dunk. Not holding my breath.

Comment

Working...
                                X