Success with JUCOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success with JUCOs

With the recent addition of Coleby to the Shockers, it needs to be mentioned what a great job HCGM has done in the JUCO ranks! As such I took a quick look at MVC JUCO rankings and performance over the past 2 seasons and this is what I found:

In 2010 the MVC signed one top 50 juco, two more top 100s and two more top 150s. They were:

Joe Ragland, 120; Kenny Harris, 108; Myles Walker, 84; Ben Smith, 61; Momadou Seck, 11.

All were very good players with Seck and Ragland being the best over a two year span. That's WSU with 2/5 top 150, 1/3 top 100 and 0/1 top 50.

In 2011 the MVC signed six top 50 players (1 top 10) and one more top 100. They were:

Anthony Downing, 54; KADEEM COLEBY (walk-on by way of ULL), 50; Jamar Gulley, 47; Jeff Early, 42; JOE MITCHELL (walk-on by way of Ohio), 36; Tyler Brown, 12; Carl Hall (NOY), 4.

That's WSU with 5/12 top 150, 4/10 top 100, 3/7 top 50, 1/1 top 10.

In 2012 the MVC signed three top 50 (2 top 10) and three more top 100. They are:

Dawon Cummings, 89; Tyshon Pickett, 55; Richard Carter, 52; Chadrack Lufile, 48; Nick Wiggins, 9; Cleanthony Early, 2.

The final tally has WSU with: 8/18 top 150, 7/16 top 100, 6/10 top 50, and 3/3 top 10.

That's pretty damn successful if you ask me!
    Livin the dream

Some people might view the recruitment of jucos a failure in preparation but I don't see us having the success we've had without the addition of Ragland, Hannah, Smith and Hall. Not to mention the kid we picked up Marshall's first season from New York???

Comment

The fact that we've had to recruit that many JUCOs says other things about our recruiting as well...
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'll take the best players, wherever they come from.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Gregg Marshall is doing an outstanding job and is laying the bricks and mortar that will be the foundation for a truly elite program. Gregg Marshall is exactly what WSU needed to reclaim its past glory.

Thank you again Athletic Director Jim Schaus, you were the messiah of Shocker Basketball.

P.S.

Please come back... :upset:

T

...:cool:
          Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; August 27, 2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            The fact that we've had to recruit that many JUCOs says other things about our recruiting as well...
            I think coach does it on purpose for two reasons. 1 is obviously to get experience in questionable positions so the program stays somewhat strong from year to year. 2 could be that he likes to set the bar very high for his high school recruits. I really think he does it on purpose to keep the competition as fierce as can be. I doubt it's that he can't get high school freshman because he is bad at "real" recruiting. That's just a jab Doublejay keeps tossing in.

I also think we are doing so well signing jucos because he gives them program seniority and playing time as if it's theirs to lose. They come in as starters and it's the underclassman's job to steal it away.

Comment

Also I really appreciate this thread. It's nice to see the rankings of these guys. I didn't realize how high some of our latest guys were.

Comment

coach has shown that juco guys can be very successful at wsu, which is helping him get the very best ones available. I'll take juco guys but they need to be all-american caliber at this point, otherwise, we need to work on the freshman pipeline.

Comment

All of Marshall's Assistants have juco experience and Heiar is probably known as the best Juco recruiter in the nation. We have shown ability to bring in top notch juco players. I expect more highly regarded juco recruits from time to time in the future.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

We do what we must in order to compete - if we can't sign 4/5 star high school players - we sign the best juco players to make up for it. The Kentucky's and such get great HS players for one or two seasons. On the other end, we get great Juco players/transfers for one or two seasons. You do what you must.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                      I think coach does it on purpose for two reasons. 1 is obviously to get experience in questionable positions so the program stays somewhat strong from year to year. 2 could be that he likes to set the bar very high for his high school recruits. I really think he does it on purpose to keep the competition as fierce as can be. I doubt it's that he can't get high school freshman because he is bad at "real" recruiting. That's just a jab Doublejay keeps tossing in.

I also think we are doing so well signing jucos because he gives them program seniority and playing time as if it's theirs to lose. They come in as starters and it's the underclassman's job to steal it away.
                      On purpose? He signs them because of failed recruiting classes. Look at our juniors this year. Not a single 4 year player. Are you saying he intentionally missed on an entire class so he could bring in a bunch of JUCOs? That's absurd. I like the talent level, but there's more program security bringing in 4 year playets and uding JUCOs to feel gaps. Unfortunately, we've had s number of gaps in recruiting.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

First, Thanks Wufan for the info. With the success that we've enjoyed the past few seasons - Winning the NIT, Winning the league, finishing second twice, being considered and elite mid-major - with juco players on all of the above - I find it interesting that some people will find something to ***** about. Failure ??? Really ???

3G, keep doing what you are doing. I can see that you are blending HS and JUCO players to build a winner year in and year out.

Comment

I know we'd all like HCGM to get the best freshmen possible, but without the JUCO players, we wouldn't have won the NIT and HCGM would still be looking for his first NCAA bid as a WSU head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
                            First, Thanks Wufan for the info. With the success that we've enjoyed the past few seasons - Winning the NIT, Winning the league, finishing second twice, being considered and elite mid-major - with juco players on all of the above - I find it interesting that some people will find something to ***** about. Failure ??? Really ???

3G, keep doing what you are doing. I can see that you are blending HS and JUCO players to build a winner year in and year out.
                            Ditto! Keep multiple lines in the water with large hooks.
                            Someday we'll start landing some of the big ones.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think HCGM has done a outstanding job of getting the right mix. I think he would prefer a Juco AA over a 2 star to low star 3 caliber freshman. But im sure he would take FVV caliber players over any jucos. I think his mindset why settle for a lower caliber freshman, when i can get a very talented Juco AA kid.
                              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Working...
                              X