SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (4-5) vs. WICHITA STATE (7-2) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

I knew while watching the on line scoring updates of this game, there would be stupid ass comments like this just after the game.
    And Bingo...here it is.

Every team has one of these type games through the year. Lots of teams are vulnerable to this type of performance especially during Finals week.
    Ask FAU about the turd they dropped while losing to Bryant!

It happens people. I recall the outrage on here when WSU got "Evilled' by the Purple Pimps a few years ago.

Sometimes, guys are just not focused on the job at hand and the other team is zeroed in.
    Just like last night.

I even remember many years ago WSU losing in STL to a really bad Drake team.
    Drake had a dude who just went off that night and sent WSU home before I had my first shot at getting some of Pappys BBQ or Hodaks chicken.

So calm down and remember, its long season and there will be some pain before all is said and done.

The is all.
    Right...people seem to forget some of the problems the Final 4 year. Not saying this is apples to apples comparison....but still. **** happens.

Marshall himself always said you typically drop 5 you shouldn't, win 5 you probably shouldn't and the rest are more indicative of who you are. I think that is pretty accurate. We won't know who this team really is for a while.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• The two things I most noticed was defense for both teams. They were doing a fantastic job of not letting any of our players get unchallenged looks at the rim. Then at the other end we constantly either left our man wide open on penetrations or were woefully slow to rotate. It didn't help that they always knew where to stand to be ready for a kickout.

What I noticed on offense is that our perimeter guys are located in areas that don't lend themselves to a kickout. Their defenders, even if they dug down some to help could still get their hands in the passing lanes.

My inclination is to say that is mostly coaching. And hopefully, something that is changeable. I'm not at all ready to say Mills isn't the guy, as it's possible what I was seeing is totally a player issue. Not just ours, but the opponents too, in the form of very disciplined defense.

I also totally agree with Doc about not utilizing Joy earlier to put defensive pressure on them. When they did it was it was several possessions too late. That was borderline coaching malfeasance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post
        "our energy wasn't right"....one of the weakest excuses I've read. There is NO excuse for that.
        Have you spent much time around todays youth?
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post
          "our energy wasn't right"....one of the weakest excuses I've read. There is NO excuse for that.
          Our players probably muttered to themselves... we're not getting paid enough for this B.S.

Meanwhile, the South Dakota Jacks are playing for the love of the game AND a chance to maybe EARN a professional roster spot one day.

It's all about incentives and...

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Comment

• If you enjoyed the Shocker Sound Machine yesterday, I encourage all of you to take in a performance of some kind at the School of Music in the spring semester. Many ensembles to choose from - concert band, orchestra, choirs, jazz bands and combos, opera, faculty solo recitals, and more. Lots of young talent in our School of Music!
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Covid Short year was 19-20 (March 2020 was when the NCAA Tourney was cancelled) .. those players did NOT get another year (otherwise we would have had Jaime another year).

The freebie Covid year was 2020-21

Cortes started in 21-22, so I do not think he has a covid year.
              That is correct. Cortes has 2 years of eligibility remaining and, including this year, has 3 years left on his 5-year clock.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That is correct. Cortes has 2 years of eligibility remaining and, including this year, has 3 years left on his 5-year clock.

So, this would need to turn into a redshirt year?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

So, this would need to turn into a redshirt year?
                  It can be, if he is not eligible to play. If he is eligible to play the 2nd semester he could play this year and 1 more year, That 1 more year could be either the 2024-25 season or the 2025-26 season but the only way he doesn't play next year is if he is injured or is ineligible again. And if he is ineligible again do you want to keep him around.

The two most likely scenarios are:

1. He is not eligible for the 2nd semester and does not play this year. He then has the next 2 years to use up his eligibility.

2. He is eligible for the 2nd semester and uses up his remaining 2 years this season and next.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                    If you enjoyed the Shocker Sound Machine yesterday, I encourage all of you to take in a performance of some kind at the School of Music in the spring semester. Many ensembles to choose from - concert band, orchestra, choirs, jazz bands and combos, opera, faculty solo recitals, and more. Lots of young talent in our School of Music!
                    And sometimes they are at a place like Walker's Jazz Lounge.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                      If you enjoyed the Shocker Sound Machine yesterday, I encourage all of you to take in a performance of some kind at the School of Music in the spring semester. Many ensembles to choose from - concert band, orchestra, choirs, jazz bands and combos, opera, faculty solo recitals, and more. Lots of young talent in our School of Music!

WSU has long had one of the strongest schools of music in the Midwest. They have turned out so many successful graduates who perform all over the world—and music teachers as well—100% placement upon graduation. It is a shame that they are not given more publicity. I’m glad the band is getting some notice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

that's part of it .. but we also took a lot of forced crappy shots .. which is at least part on Mills. Though you are correct, if we make our bunnies, we win, though it was probably still a close game. Which a game vs SDSU shouldn't be a close game. We made them look like a Final Four team when they were on offense. They completely carved us up. That concerns me most IMO. We couldn't stop Mayo from getting in the lane, and when he did, we over corrected and left their shooters WIDE open.

So not all on Mills, but not all on Pohto either.
                        I don't think you can fault Mills for "forced crappy shots" except maybe recruit more depth so you can pull guys who are taking the forced shots.

If I was going to fault Mills anywhere - this team came out lethargic. They didn't look like they were mentally ready to play and they got out toughed. If those things become a consistent problem then that is on Mills IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

And sometimes they are at a place like Walker's Jazz Lounge.
                          Looking forward to that this spring!
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

What about Liberty and Missouri Dingleberry? Are they good or is too hard for you to see beyond the b12? Oh, wait...
                            Oh goody, the mental case is back.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I don't think you can fault Mills for "forced crappy shots" except maybe recruit more depth so you can pull guys who are taking the forced shots.

If I was going to fault Mills anywhere - this team came out lethargic. They didn't look like they were mentally ready to play and they got out toughed. If those things become a consistent problem then that is on Mills IMO.
                              When the team continues to take the same types of shots over and over .. its obviously partly a coaching thing. So yea .. you can and SHOULD fault Mills some for that. I know its hard .. but that's ok to admit that both the coach and players are to blame.

If it was just one offs here and there, then sure .. its probably the players but its pretty obvious that its our game plan to try to get people in iso with someone they feel they have an advantage and go to work. The problem is we actually don't have a one on one advantage.

The offense is going to have to change against the tougher parts of the schedule. They are going to have to run offense to get good shots .. not just run offense to try to get a matchup they like to iso.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Isn't the coach the one responsible for what the team is doing? Are you saying players are just going rogue and doing whatever the **** they want out there? If that's the case, then that's even a worse indictment of Mills.

A team coming out lethargic and didn't look mentally ready to play is 100% on the coach. Not sure who else you're going to blame? When the team comes out shooting lights out and blows a team out 100-50, the coach gets the credit. You better believe the opposite is true as well.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X