No announcement yet.

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (4-5) vs. WICHITA STATE (7-2) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sure wish we could have a Coach here at Wichita State that would hold people accountable, get up in their grill every so often, chew their asses and motivate them basically so we don’t lose to the likes of the jackrabbits. I sure wish we had a Coach like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
      I sure wish we could have a Coach here at Wichita State that would hold people accountable, get up in their grill every so often, chew their asses and motivate them basically so we don’t lose to the likes of the jackrabbits. I sure wish we had a Coach like that.
      A coach like that would lose significant numbers of players every year to the portal. Just like WSU was losing significant numbers of players every year even before the portal existed.

Burton, Sherfield, and Fernandez were all held "accountable" under the coaching staff when they were here. How did that work out?
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

A coach like that would lose significant numbers of players every year to the portal. Just like WSU was losing significant numbers of players every year even before the portal existed.

Burton, Sherfield, and Fernandez were all held "accountable" under the coaching staff when they were here. How did that work out?
        Thank you, those days are over. Different times, and it wasn’t like Marshall was having stellar success in the AAC anyways. But Mills better figure it out soon, because whatever great track we were on is eroding fast. After the last few years, patience is not a thing here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Oh yah, it’s the “dogs gonna be dogs” mentality now. How’d that work out the last few years?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• After watching almost every shox game since 1979, as well as many other games over the years, I have come to the conclusion that I am loosing my attraction to the game. I liked the original shot clock, but hated the shortened clock. I liked the 3 point shot but hate the teams who heavily rely on it. I hate the drives to the hoop that are merely happening to draw a foul.
            I wish that ball movement was used way more today in order to get good open shots around the basket. The game has become much more akin to a game of horse these days.
            I hope it changes, but I doubt it will. Team chemistry is always important, but with the portal, I don't see great chemistry ever coming back.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Oh yah, it’s the “dogs gonna be dogs” mentality now. How’d that work out the last few years?
              Yeah, and the revisionist historians discussing the wide failures of HCGM as we entered the AAC are a bit off too.

First year after arguably the best player in the history of the program graduated....was a basket (just one of about 6 near miracle shots) from winning the conference and was a 4 seed in the Dance. Year 2 did struggle and finished 6th, was 4 points from getting to the finals of the AAC, outside the bubble on Selection Sunday, won 3 road games in the NIT including at Indiana before losing in the semi finals in NY. Year 3 improving, 3 Top 25 wins, 4 seed and likely bubble team (at least) before season cancelled.

Pretty sure we haven't seen, with binoculars, that kind of success, or anticipate it anytime soon.

Comment

• The easy transfers, poaching of players, conference changes, so many players playing for NIL dollars and themselves, costs going to games, my attraction declines every year, as well. Just went to my last Intrust game. So disappointing in many ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Isn't the coach the one responsible for what the team is doing? Are you saying players are just going rogue and doing whatever the **** they want out there? If that's the case, then that's even a worse indictment of Mills.

A team coming out lethargic and didn't look mentally ready to play is 100% on the coach. Not sure who else you're going to blame? When the team comes out shooting lights out and blows a team out 100-50, the coach gets the credit. You better believe the opposite is true as well.
                  100% is a little too overboard. Coaches can only do so much, but if it becomes consistent then the weight of it falls at the feet of the coaching staff.

I do see that Mills took ownership of the low energy - so it is 100% on him.

There were a couple things I saw late that bothered me more about the staff than the for mentioned but nobody mentioned it - so maybe I saw it wrong. Unfortunately there is no replay to look at.

It very possible that Mills is in over his head. But if that ends up being true, this program has not hit rock bottom yet. Mills could be the Scott Thompson of the 90s.
                  Last edited by SB Shock; December 11, 2023, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• If I read Taylor correctly, Mills took the blame for 'low energy play' because HE was low energy ....inexcusable! I love Mills but there is no excuse for that comment.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

100% is a little too overboard. Coaches can only do so much, but if it becomes consistent then the weight of it falls at the feet of the coaching staff.

There were a couple things I saw late that bothered me more about the staff than the for mentioned but nobody mentioned it - so maybe I saw it wrong. Unfortunately there is no replay to look at.

It very possible that Mills is in over his head. But if that ends up being true, this program has not hit rock bottom yet. Mills could be the Scott Thompson of the 90s.
                      Come on now, SB Shock . Don't leave it hanging like that. With the caveat that you may have saw it wrong, what was it? Maybe someone else who saw it differently, could speak up.

Comment

• NM

Comment

• I’m back after my self imposed suspension, never mind my alter ego above. Saturday was a new low for the basketball program since the Thompson days and I’m not just talking about the game. Between the sparse crowd (which was helped by SD fans), the amateur way it was promoted and the ticket prices requiring a fan to take out a second mortgage, I cannot think of a bigger overall **** stain than the one that was left Saturday for our athletic department to wear. If we ever play another game in Intrust it has to be included in the season ticket package and not cost a penny more.

Comment

• I think I like Mills but he needs to step up his recruiting game. We need guys that can take care of the ball and make baskets. Summit level players aren't gonna cut it. I don't blame him for Pohto and Bell having weak handles or being unable to recognize double teams, but going forward, I will blame him if we don't have have competent guys to replace them when they make the same stupid mistakes over and over.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              If we ever play another game in Intrust it has to be included in the season ticket package and not cost a penny more.
                              They tried that before and pissed off a lot of season ticket holders because they didn't feel their seats were equivalent to what that had at CKA. I had a much better seat than what I had at the Roundhouse that year.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Honesty he took over pretty late, so i figured the talent level for this season was going to low. I think hes actually done a decent job for the talent he has. I do like the 2 guards we have coming in next year, I wish they could play right now plus we will have Bijan.
                                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Working...
                                X