WICHITA STATE (7-1) at MISSOURI (6-2) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
    I know we all like to rag on IB but he was put in a tough spot. If I were an assistant coach who was suddenly given the interm coach title, I would have taken it too. I would also have taken the permanent head coach title if offered. While IB was a bad head coach, he was an honorable guy and I believe he gave his all. He just had different philosophies and demeanors that did not work. But he is a good human being.

Boatright was the guilty party for drawing up and giving IB the long term contract with big buy outs. My guess is that IB would have done a contract with way less buy out.
    Nobody is saying he isn’t a good dude or a nice guy. But he has millions of reasons to be taking the criticisms that he routinely gets. And of course, any Boatright knock will be valid until the end of time.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Awesome!! X man in the house. Love to see it.
      IIRC, Mike Kennedy said X was living in St. Louis now.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

I know it's a VERY small sample size( one game) but Mills did the EXACT same thing as IB did....gathered his coaches, talked and THEN addressed his boys....now, no doubt what he told his boys was more effective
        HCPM spends much more time with the players during timeouts. IB talked to the coaches most of the timeout and rushed his time with the players.
        I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

HCPM spends much more time with the players during timeouts. IB talked to the coaches most of the timeout and rushed his time with the players.
          Yup

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

That's what I was going to ask about. He'd spend about 70% of a timeout with the coaches and not have much time to relay whatever he had to say to the players. There's nothing wrong with a quick consult of the staff. Check to see if anyone seen anything else that needs addressed or any quick ideas about whatever. But coaches should be able to communicate with each other fairly efficiently as you should pretty much be on the same wavelength as a staff.

I know I was only an assistant coach for one year of basketball but that was how we operated. I wasn't great at effectively communicating with the kids, especially during a quick timeout, but I could see and understand the game pretty well and was coaching with a guy who trusted me and my observations and we could have a quick chat. Though a lot of our talk would take place before the timeout was called or finished up while the kids were coming to the sideline. I also understand the difference between the levels of coaching, but the point remains.

Also, I realized I was a better official than a coach back then and never returned to the sideline.

Damn I miss officiating.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Eldridge's article from this morning, "Wichita State basketball has issues to fix. Why Paul Mills believes team can solve them":

“A ball when it hits the ground is going to come back up because it has air in it. Hopefully you’ve got a lot more than air in you.”
              Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• a
                After looking at the picture in the above article no one can say HCPM never gets a little worked up. LOL

Comment

• Honest question: is anyone still less than optimistic about mills?
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    a
                    After looking at the picture in the above article no one can say HCPM never gets a little worked up. LOL
                    No, I think he was just yawning,

Comment

Working...
                    X