RICHMOND (4-2) at WICHITA STATE (6-1) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
    I got to my first in-person game last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. This team is a lot of fun to watch! Especially last night seeing some sharp passing and good defense.

Kenny amongst others just had the yips at the FT line last night. I'm not worried. I think of Tin Cup - give me another ball!

Harlond Beverly is so smooth on offense, and I thought very quick and active on defense.

Colby Rogers has been getting his points for sure, but I think he is still yet to go nuts on someone and just rain 3s endlessly. Please let it be KU and/or K-State!

Xavier Bell actually drove and dished last night! And for a 3! Yay!

I don't know why, but QB makes me think of Dikembe Mutombo. I want to see more of those swatted shots! Probably should hold off with any finger wagging, though, lest he get flagged for 15 yards for taunting.

I was sitting on the courtside seating side this time, so I got to really hear the Shocker Sound Machine. Love how that program has grown! I totally dig that they are now singing Hail Wichita! On my walk back to my car, a couple of the sousaphone players walked by me. I told them they did a great job tonight, and mentioned that I played sousa in the last WSU marching band. One of them said "oh, wow". I said back, "yeah, I"m old." But I've gotta tell you, walking across campus, even as much as it has changed from the mid to late 80s, always makes me feel young again. At least until my knees chime in about that thought!

I don't have season tickets anymore, mostly due to cost and having to miss too many games due to work and family stuff, but it was great to be back in the house of round last night. The crowd got into it a bit more in the second half, and it had echoes of the good ol' rockin' roundhouse. We do have tickets for the Intrust game and the K-State game in KC, and I'm sure we will go to a few more home games. This is a team that has earned more support. Go Shocks!
    My family has noticed that the band no longer plays “You don’t want to go to war with the Shockers”. Anyone know why? We sit next to the band and have asked them why. They claim they want to and have asked to play it, but it doesn’t happen. They have no idea why.

Comment

• Question on Degray - do we get him for 2 more years or just one? He played 3 years already but only 2 count due to Covid. This year does not count since he's sitting out. I assume he'll be a junior again next year but I can't keep up with these rules.

Comment

• I wasn't sure about the SSM when it first started, but it has completely grown on me. I'm not sure they're ready for an Ohio State Jurassic Park halftime show, but it's good and more importantly, the crowd seems to love it. Props to them and the energy they are bringing to gameday.

And I know it's a bit forced right now, but the program going to the student section and singing after the game with those students....hats off! Absolutely love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Reminds me of Cornbread...
          Someone on SN recently said that he is a poor man's Joe Pleasant. Obviously that dude was an idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            One thing I was disappointed in last night is that Joy didn't find any time. I really think getting him some court time, even if it's just a few minutes here and there with the starters would be a good thing for him and his development and therefore it would be good for the team as a whole in the long run. Especially when we opened up a bit of a lead. Get him a few minutes. Get him some game touches. He showed that he can be a valuable asset in Myrtle Beach. Let him build off of that. Having another athletic guy like that on the court could only end up being a plus for this team down the road.
            I would have put him, Joy, in for XB to shut down King the latter part of the first half

Comment

• Attendance may never get back to the levels it was….it’s not just the product on the court. CoVid changed culture when people found out how easy it is to watch games on ESPN+. NIL/Portal has soured a bunch of fans who will not come back outside of a casual interest. Then there are still people who are pissed about Marshall being shown the door, but at least the grumbling seems to be dying down with the new AD making inroads. Mills, his staff and players are doing their part and if that continues, we will see attendance improve some…..but 9k may be the new 10.5k.

Comment

• It’s been great reading the posts from people who went to the game last night. They seem to be coming to the same conclusion as I did the other night when I went to the Norfolk game, this team can play and they play hard and as a team. I was impressed by the passing and shot selection for the most part. This team is definitely playing for the fans and each other and not themselves. Fun to watch and I believe there earning our respect. Wife and I will be at Intrust and I hope the rest of Shocker Nation will be too.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  I wasn't sure about the SSM when it first started, but it has completely grown on me. I'm not sure they're ready for an Ohio State Jurassic Park halftime show, but it's good and more importantly, the crowd seems to love it. Props to them and the energy they are bringing to gameday.

And I know it's a bit forced right now, but the program going to the student section and singing after the game with those students....hats off! Absolutely love it.
                  Agreed, and the SSM is something unique, having a marching unit on the basketball floor. The added bonus is it offers marching experience for our music ed majors who will be high school band directors. I do like that they aren't just doing basic "traditional" marching and movement. They are incorporating some movement aspects that come from the drum corps and competitive marching band world. It is more technique to deal with, and I'm sure their rehearsal time is limited, but it is giving them a wealth of experiences that will be useful if they are band directors to be.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• When the team is focused on what they are suppose to be doing, seeing the court, and effectively passing to open players they are pretty good. When certain players start looking too hard for their own shots things go down hill. 16 assists to 6 turnovers is a winning formula and helps team shooting %

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Question on Degray - do we get him for 2 more years or just one? He played 3 years already but only 2 count due to Covid. This year does not count since he's sitting out. I assume he'll be a junior again next year but I can't keep up with these rules.
                      I believe Degray will get 2 years suiting up. The only 2 that will not be back next year due to eligibility are Ridgnal and Germany. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

I believe Degray will get 2 years suiting up. The only 2 that will not be back next year due to eligibility are Ridgnal and Germany. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                        HCPM and staff need to find the next Ridgnal... damn, he's a dog!
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          One thing I was disappointed in last night is that Joy didn't find any time. I really think getting him some court time, even if it's just a few minutes here and there with the starters would be a good thing for him and his development and therefore it would be good for the team as a whole in the long run. Especially when we opened up a bit of a lead. Get him a few minutes. Get him some game touches. He showed that he can be a valuable asset in Myrtle Beach. Let him build off of that. Having another athletic guy like that on the court could only end up being a plus for this team down the road.
                          seems shortsighted for sure

Comment

• we have 3 guards sitting on the bench that are gonna want to play next year and 2 more freshmen guard recruits coming in. I sure hope we can sign a big with the next scholly. We're gonna need them in 2 years when Pohto and Ballard are gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Early in the year he had a really bad habit of trying to whip cross court passes that were easily picked off. I haven't seen him try that in the last few games, which is really nice to see.
                              Good observation. He tried one against Norfolk State but fortunately it was just deflected out of bounds by by Norfolk player.

The thing is we have guys such as Colby, Harlon, Dalen, Quincy, and Isaac that have not played key roles in a live game for over a year. Then throw XB into a role totally new to him.

So considering we go into the season with these 6 guys + KP with a totally new systems and approach to the game what these guys have done to this point under HCPM and staff's guidance is pretty impressive.

Comment

• Several things I omitted....
                                *I DON'T miss the 'you don't want to go to war...." song at all...personal preference...
                                *I love the 500 lb guy behind me chewing on Kenny for his free throws...as if that guy EVER made free throws
                                *I DO think the crowds will grow...I DO love the efforts of the Athletic department to grow the game experience...so maybe 'freebe' some empty seats to specific groups? They'll at least buy concessions...
                                *Even though all of us have coached , I'm sure, I'm sure there are valid reasons why people get/don't get minutes that eludes our gaze....

Comment

Working...
                                X