No announcement yet.

WSU vs Friends (Sunday, Nov 12, 1pm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right or wrong, it is what it is. There is no instant fix. The best they can do, imo, is build a winning program and not piss off the season ticket holders by devaluing their “donations”. If you build it, they will come. Winning will fix everything.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
      Not much to say about this game. I'll just say Shocks win this one, the margin could be 10, 20 or even 30 points. After Thursday night's tourney- like game, this will be an anomaly in an otherwise difficult schedule. Mills could experiment with lineups, rotations, new plays, press, zone, and it still won't matter. Just get the win and get everyone out of this game healthy.
      I would like to see him use it to work in one or two more rotation players.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Two big reasons he shouldn’t have done that.
        There was a definite lack of forethought.

Newton's 3rd Law...

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

And his one year was one too many.

1. He was rumored to have said he agreed with Bardo's vision for the university, but after being hired, he moved away from it.
          2. Golden brought the "cancel" culture to WSU and was anti-free speech and pissed off major supporters of WSU.
          3. After The Kansas Board of Regents meeting with Golden, the regents had to reiterate that Kansas colleges were to promote free speech, diversity, and inclusion. Golden resigned shortly afterward.
          4. He implemented the investigation of Marshall
          1, 2 and 3 pretty much went away once Golden was removed and had no long lasting damage although the general wokenees that infects college campuses throughout the country remains to some degree. Not as bad at WSU as at many college campi.

4 has had a longer lasting impact both financially and to the relationships with supporters and donors, especially the big donors Throw in Covid and the changes in college sports (conference realignment, transfer rules and player poaching, and NIL) along with the economic, political and cultural mess in the country in general and you have the perfect storm of severe headwinds to overcome. As usual the rich will get richer and more powerful and the have nots will have to survive on leftovers.

Throw in the ease and economy of viewing the games at home, or with a friend or at a sports bar ang griil these days makes filling up the arena a really tough proposition.

Quite the change from the discussion 10 ears ago when many were urging WSU to undertake what would have been a very costly expansion of Koch Arena.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 11, 2023, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Golden lacked any sort of meaningful leadership experience and had no local mentors, which made him an awful hire in the first place.

Comment

If I were as hung up as some of you about Golden and to a lesser extent GM then I'd tell my out of state senior, "No, you're not attending WSU..."

How does that make any sense at this moment?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                If I were as hung up as some of you about Golden and to a lesser extent GM then I'd tell my out of state senior, "No, you're not attending WSU..."

How does that make any sense at this moment?
                Nobody here is hung up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

This could be a chance to see how the walkons do playing with the rotation players.

It's an opportunity to see how McBride and Thengvall do with the rotation players instead of how they look in mop up minutes. We need both of them in some potential situations that could happen down the road. If McBride could be the next J.R. Simon, that would be a plus for the season.
                  Shox is play Friends? Who is Shox frien? Joerg is Shox friend,,,is mean Joerg can play tomorow? Dream is making hoop 3pt all fan go crazy.

Thanks is Joerg

Comment

s
                    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The are various ways to support Wichita State athletics. The most tangible way is to buy tickets and fund SASO with money that actually goes to the WSU athletic department. But if your situation is such that you simply can't afford to attend games except at fire sale prices than that's okay. Doesn't benefit the athletic department financially but in our present circumstances your butt in a seat is worth something. Of course, the hope is that these folks will soon be replaced by fans paying money to WSU for tickets and SASO dues. If that doesn't happen hopefully our AAC media deals are adequate enough to fund the athletic department needs. Coach Mills and staff can contribute greatly to that by winning and winning with an entertaining product.

Perhaps we need to rethink how we fund SASO although tying it to MBB season tickets maybe the best leverage we have.
                    This issue is also that we have far too many “bandwagon” fans that only stuck with the program when they had great success.
                    Last edited by Singeril; November 11, 2023, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Singeril View Post

This issue is also that we have far too many “bandwagon” fans that only stick with the program when they had great success.
                      Plenty of them that rotate their closet wardrobe between WSU/KU/KSU depending on the year and season.
                      Last edited by Stickboy46; November 11, 2023, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Nobody here is hung up on it.
                        Agree to disagree on that

Comment

Just finished watching the Friends game. Relative to my expectations for the 2 two teams coming into this game I give the Falcons an A, expecially consideing they played a game yesterday afternoon and the Shocks get a C, and that may be generous.

Hope Coach Mills got whatever he was hoping to get out of this game.

My biggest take away from this game is I now see very clearly why Coach Mills has shortened his bench to 7 players for real games.

When the Shocks play team basketball they are pretty good. Just doesn't appear like that is a priority at this point. But maybe that is just the nature of the game these days.

I know HCPM wants to play a fact paced game. Just not sure he has the pieces to make that work this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X