Shocks vs Western Kentucky (11-9-23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs Western Kentucky (11-9-23)

WSU vs. WKU. Thursday night. WKU 17-16 record last year. Lost 5 of their last 8 for some reason. So consider that. Star guard McKnight transfered to Xavier (he had some big games last year over 30 points.)

A lot of new faces for WKU. They have some size. Just defeated Kentucky Wesleyan in their opener 90-64. Only led by 7 at the half, but put up 53 points in the second half. Don't know what to make of it personally, because KWesleyan is D2. Take note, a week ago D2 KWesleyan upset Louisville at Louisville in their opener. One of those "on any given night things, I guess. I'm sure that result got the attention of the WKU coaching staff and players.

Just going by statistics from their first game, they had 9 steals (22 total turnovers for KWesleyan), so maybe they are a bit handsy, and the Shocks may or may not have a sure fire ball handler yet. Couldn't find any video highlights. WKU had 16 turnovers themselves, to only 15 assists for the A/TO analyzers on Shockernet. LOL. And WKU sure didn't outrebound them by much (rebound margin of 7).

I see the two teams (WSU and WKU) as being fairly equal at this point in the early season. Hopefully the Shocks will continue to rebound as they have in the first game (or 2 if you count the exhibition). I think it will take a more concentrated effort obviously against WKU. It may come down to something as simple as free throws and who can keep down the silly turnovers. I don't know that Lipscomb ever "got hot" in the game to rattle WSU. Hopefully the visiting team's "got hot" moments are on the wane under this new regime. If I had to guess, WSU will open as a 3 or 4 point favorite. Anything more and I would probably be a little anxious about WKU having bulletin board material. I think WSU will need crowd support and probably a player (Beverly, Abbide, or RIdgnal having a shining moment, or even four or five shining moments). I'll pick WSU 70, WKU 65.

Hilltoppers - 70

Hillside - 75
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Optimists 74
      Nancy's 68

Comment

Lipscomb is 208 on Kenpom, while WK is 171. So this will likely be a notch up, which is good for our learning curve.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Lipscomb is 208 on Kenpom, while WK is 171. So this will likely be a notch up, which is good for our learning curve.
          I'm just thankful we're not playing #1...
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Brandon Newman was the leading scorer in their game yesterday. He's a transfer senior from Purdue and was a starter to close out last season.

Comment

Toppers on the hill-‐-- 70

Shockers on Shocker Mountain 73
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

WKU had a kid (Faye) who scored 12 pts and grabbed 10 boards (6 offensive) in just 7 minutes. I'm guessing those were garbage time minutes, but still.

EDIT: After looking at the play-by-play, most (maybe all) his production came in the 1st half.

Comment

Fools Gold. Shockers lose by 20 plus.

Comment

The official 2023-24 Men's Basketball Roster for the Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers

Got some big guys. Also have a lot of older players. I imagine we'll see some pressure.
                    Last edited by pinstripers; November 7, 2023, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Shocks 74
                      WKU 63
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        I’m going to slot D2 KY Wesleyan at Kenpom 363. They appeared to be a bunch of midget stiffs that included a 6’3” 185# forward who played 24 minutes! Seven other players 6’7” and shorter garnered 75% of the minutes.

Just seems fair to prorate the first game opponents of both WKU and WSU.

Comment

The Shocks should improve upon their 23.1% on 3 pointers. However, I'm hoping for our focus to go inside, then out. Kenny P. will settle down and not miss as many easy ones as last game. Beverly just missed on 2 steals last game and should improve on keeping his turnovers down. Any game the Shockers can keep turnovers below 10 and make more of the easy shots which will improve our assist totals, we will be in those games. Our excellent rebounding should continue which covers up other problems as the Shockers grow as a team..

So far, I like HCPM substitution patterns. He seems to follow the stat lines to a science which results in some wins in real close games I hope.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post

I’m going to slot D2 KY Wesleyan at Kenpom 363. They appeared to be a bunch of midget stiffs that included a 6’3” 185# forward who played 24 minutes! Seven other players 6’7” and shorter garnered 75% of the minutes.

Just seems fair to prorate the first game opponents of both WKU and WSU.
                            You can put D2 Ky Wesleyan at #362 and move Louisville to #363.

Comment

Hard to take much from WKU's first game but it appears they play a lot of guys and may go at least 10 deep. They had 4 guys in double figures and several more with 8-9 points so they share the ball. I'm not sure we'll have the gas to play a full game against this team, going only 7-8 deep. If we can establish a nice lead we may be able to hang on, but I'm not feeling great about this one. I say Shox lose by 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X