New NIT Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

That would pretty much leave it as the value of a school's TV contract would determine the amount players could be paid. Splitting it up between FB and BB would get tricky. Then it would get tricky to determine whether bench players got the same as the starters or whether the "star" players got more than the other starters. It's not going to get easier for quite a while.
    I don't think schools can pay players. I believe it has to be for services outside of the sport, like advertising or image on an electronic game, etc. Like the NIL meaning the use of a person's name, image or likeness. But I don't think it comes out a schools account.

The collectives are just organizations used to collect and distribute fan donations for that purpose. But players can and do go outside of the collectives to take advantage of the rule as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I don't think schools can pay players. I believe it has to be for services outside of the sport, like advertising or image on an electronic game, etc. Like the NIL meaning the use of a person's name, image or likeness. But I don't think it comes out a schools account.

The collectives are just organizations used to collect and distribute fan donations for that purpose. But players can and do go outside of the collectives to take advantage of the rule as well.
      This lawsuit is seeking a portion of the revenue from broadcasting games. That money is currently paid to the schools. What this lawsuit is seeking is a share of the school's money for the athletes. It's a pretty straight forward argument that the schools are selling the players NIL through broadcasting games and that the players should receive some of that.

If that argument is successful in the courts, then the door would be opened for any school with a media deal to pay athletes directly, as they would have received $$ the players are entitled to through NIL. This would legalize pay to play.

The schools would immediately move to subtract the value of the scholarships, tutoring, gym rental for practice time, and on and on as money they're already paying. I doubt I will live long enough for anybody to figure out how to make all these changes work.

School to recruit:""Here's the $100,000 contract for your Freshman year. After we deduct our expenses you will owe us$12,875.46. We will try to get you some advertising appearances to help pay off what you owe us for attending school here and playing on our basketball team".
      Last edited by Aargh; November 4, 2023, 04:56 PM.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

This lawsuit is seeking a portion of the revenue from broadcasting. That money is currently paid to the schools. What this lawsuit is seeking is a share of the school's money for the athletes. It's a pretty straight forward argument that the schools are selling the players NIL through media and that the players should receive some of that.

If that argument is successful in the courts, then the door would be opened for any school with a media deal to pay athletes directly, as they would have received $$ the players are entitled to through NIL. This would legalize pay to play.

The schools would immediately move to subtract the value of the scholarships, tutoring, gym rental for practice time, and on and on as money they're already paying. I doubt I will live long enough for anybody to figure out how to make all these changes work.
        Sad!! So basically they are trying to end amateur athletics after high school. How long before gate fees at all levels have to be shared?

Comment

Pretty much if you want entertainment (basketball, football...whatever)...you have to PAY for it. No more freebies is what they're saying. Ticket sales and TV revenues are a thing of the past. All good players WILL go to whoever will pay the most. That's what this NIL was all about. Revenue sharing...

P-5 = TV = paying players. Gone is college athlectics. There will be a few left over after the pickings...but will they really try?
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

The end of college athletics as we’ve known it just got a helluva lot closer
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              The end of college athletics as we’ve known it just got a helluva lot closer
              This is the college basketball equivalent to Hitler having taken over a portion of Czechoslovakia in 1938. It's just a little piece of Czech that nobody cares about right? And I mean it wasn't ALL of Czech, just a small portion, ya know? And several other countries agreed to it too.

It wouldn't surprise me if the N.I.T.'s board has several mid majors like France, Italy, and the U.K. agreeing to diminish their opportunities to get into the N.I.T. too.

Sheesh.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
              X