No announcement yet.

New NIT Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The who's who's. Surprised I am not. Unfortunate. Eyeballs, tv, etc. Par for the course. Boooh. Sucks....
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Eff the NCAA, let's just go full pro in all sports. New NBA team: Wichita Shockers.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

If every school not in a power conference for basketball refuses to participate in the nit tournament they will be forced to use the lowest tier teams from the basketball power teams. They can rename it the ART or the Also Ran Tournament. If a network was really interested they could start their own National Championship tournament that that would include EVERY team not in a power conference to participate. I would watch something like that and not watch a single game of the ncaa debacle.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
          If every school not in a power conference for basketball refuses to participate in the nit tournament they will be forced to use the lowest tier teams from the basketball power teams. They can rename it the ART or the Also Ran Tournament. If a network was really interested they could start their own National Championship tournament that that would include EVERY team not in a power conference to participate. I would watch something like that and not watch a single game of the ncaa debacle.
          The Super Hoops Also Ran Tournament!
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

It's been speculated for years that the power conferences would split off from the NCAA. Turns out that was wrong. The NCAA is joining them and splitting off from the rest of college sports.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I really hate this decision, especially the timing just days before the season. I don't think anybody involved in the sport thinks this was needed.

As a Shocker fan, I don't know that this really alters much. But I was a student manager at a top program in a 1 bid conference and for schools like mine this is a gutting decision. We already knew that any chance we had at competing in the NCAA tournament came down to three games at the conference tournament. At least there was a security blanket that winning the regular season meant something with the auto bid for the NIT. It also represented one of the only opportunities to potentially get a P5 school in our own building, think Koch Arena in 2004 when FSU came to Wichita. That's still the best atmosphere I can recall being a part of at a basketball game. So to kill that auto bid, to give bids to sub .500 teams that view NIT bids as a failure sucks for the future of smaller schools competing at the D1 level.
              Last edited by shockerfan34; October 28, 2023, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Another nail. Bring back football and go DII. Driveable games against Pitt State, Fort Hays and Washburn.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

How much will it take to fund an SMU style package to the B12 .. might be the only chance of WSU basketball ever being allowed in the tourney in a couple years.

Comment

For the one bid leagues, the post season tournament is more important than the regular season. NIL, the transfer portal and no penalties for transferring, and now this are three of the best moves the NCAA could make to foul up basketball as much as possible for mid majors and below.

If a mid gets a good player, the NCAA has made it nearly automatic for that player to transfer yo a power school. If a mid has a good season, doesnt matter. Still have to win the conference tourney to sniff the post season.

The mids should sue the NCAA for potential loss of revenue from losing the opportunity to host an extra home game. The NCAA has been a joke for yeatrs. It's no longer a joke. Now it's just pathetic.

Comment

Athletic department revenues for the top 50 revenue generators make Approx 100 -250 million / yr. Those are all power 5 schools. The next 50 schools drop to about 35 million. Those are predominantly aac swc and a few other conferences schools.

That leaves about 150 schools below the 35 million mark.

I can't imagine, that under current NIL and transfer rules, the schools below 100 and some slightly above 100 will tolerate this system for too long.

I see major changes coming in the years to come to isolate about 50 or 60 schools into their own category where they compete only with each other for national titles while the other 175-200 bring back old school transfer rules and limit athlete incomes in some way.

Last I looked the average NIL deals were about 25K/ yr. Knowing that some athletes make hundreds of thousands and even millions in some cases, tells me most student athletes make nothing from NIL. Those kids would not mind playing for a school with limited income possibility. 1- because they know they will probably never achieve the big dollars and 2- because they will have a better chance of playing and 3- because they have a better chance to win national or conference titles.

If an athlete showed as a big time player who the power schools were willing to pay, well let them go and if possible make it where he either sits a year or reimburses his current school for reniging on a scholarship contract.

I would be all for that system. But lawmakers would have to care, and I believe most would because most come from those 200 or so schools currently being screwed.

Sorry, just rambling.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
                        Athletic department revenues for the top 50 revenue generators make Approx 100 -250 million / yr. Those are all power 5 schools. The next 50 schools drop to about 35 million. Those are predominantly aac swc and a few other conferences schools.

That leaves about 150 schools below the 35 million mark.

I can't imagine, that under current NIL and transfer rules, the schools below 100 and some slightly above 100 will tolerate this system for too long.

I see major changes coming in the years to come to isolate about 50 or 60 schools into their own category where they compete only with each other for national titles while the other 175-200 bring back old school transfer rules and limit athlete incomes in some way.

Last I looked the average NIL deals were about 25K/ yr. Knowing that some athletes make hundreds of thousands and even millions in some cases, tells me most student athletes make nothing from NIL. Those kids would not mind playing for a school with limited income possibility. 1- because they know they will probably never achieve the big dollars and 2- because they will have a better chance of playing and 3- because they have a better chance to win national or conference titles.

If an athlete showed as a big time player who the power schools were willing to pay, well let them go and if possible make it where he either sits a year or reimburses his current school for reniging on a scholarship contract.

I would be all for that system. But lawmakers would have to care, and I believe most would because most come from those 200 or so schools currently being screwed.

Sorry, just rambling.
                        I think you nailed it. It could come down to the P5 competing for a semi-pro "college" Natty and the rest competing for a student-athlete Natty. I think there would be fan support for the student-athlete version. There should be compensation for the P5 raiding players from the other group. Maybe let the schools negotiate a price for the player to not sit a year and lose a year of eligibility. That would require legislation because the NCAA would never go for anything that made something more difficult for the P5.

Comment

The P5 will have to break away from the NCAA. That might be easy for football but very difficult for all the other sports. As for NIL, every kid going to play D1 is now expecting something, so get used to it. The Supreme Court made it legal, so they all want something, even if it’s a few hundred a month for groceries. It’s a huge mess for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            The P5 will have to break away from the NCAA. That might be easy for football but very difficult for all the other sports. As for NIL, every kid going to play D1 is now expecting something, so get used to it. The Supreme Court made it legal, so they all want something, even if it’s a few hundred a month for groceries. It’s a huge mess for sure.
                            The NCAA appears to have totally sold out to the P5. The P5 own the NCAA. The rest of the schools will need to break away from the NCAA and form an organizing body with a bit more integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Federal judge's ruling puts billions at stake for NCAA (msn.com)

Comment

That would pretty much leave it as the value of a school's TV contract would determine the amount players could be paid. Splitting it up between FB and BB would get tricky. Then it would get tricky to determine whether bench players got the same as the starters or whether the "star" players got more than the other starters. It's not going to get easier for quite a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X