Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AAC Predictions For The Shockers This Coming Season

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Bell is probably as good a backup PG as any we've had since Armstead graduated. Fernandes had a lot of potential, but he either got run or didn't want to play here. Beverly looks to have a decent handle and Pohto has demonstrated passing skills and court vision.

    If the standard for backup PG's is what we had behind FVV when he was here, then it would be hard for Ighovodja to be worse than that group.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

    Comment


    • #17
      you may be right, but on paper the ball handling does not look strong. At least past rosters had multiple guys with PG experience, like Sherfield and Burton together, or Gilbert and Porter, or Etienne and Porter. This group just makes me nervous because of so many unknowns with our ball handling skills. 2-5 positions look to be much improved.

      Comment


      • #18
        I'm not sure we finish any higher than 5th and that's if things go well.

        FAU and Memphis are the top two teams.

        UAB shouldn't really be that far behind them.

        Tulane and North Texas should be in that next group. If things click and we stay healthy, maybe we fight for a spot in this group.

        More than likely, we find ourselves in the group of Rice, Temple, and ECU.

        Then you have USF and SMU. This is the lowest grouping we could find ourselves in.

        Then there's Tulsa and Charlotte.

        Then there's UTSA.

        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

        Comment


        • #19
          We play FAU and Memphis twice. Lindy's didn't mention our late signed recruits Dalen R., Joy, or Bamba. Saturday we will get to see all of the Shockers scrimmage. Then we can watch concerns of our ball handling skills in action. Paul Mills teams are known for low turnovers so we will see. Our rebounding will definitely be improved. Will we have some 3-pt. Shooting better than 335th. In the Country? Dalen R. May not start but I'm guessing he plays lots of minutes. I'm hoping our returning subs from last Season are all improved and flourish in this new System.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
            We play FAU and Memphis twice. Lindy's didn't mention our late signed recruits Dalen R., Joy, or Bamba. Saturday we will get to see all of the Shockers scrimmage. Then we can watch concerns of our ball handling skills in action. Paul Mills teams are known for low turnovers so we will see. Our rebounding will definitely be improved. Will we have some 3-pt. Shooting better than 335th. In the Country? Dalen R. May not start but I'm guessing he plays lots of minutes. I'm hoping our returning subs from last Season are all improved and flourish in this new System.
            I'm having another 'senior' moment; who is this Dalen R? I've heard about Joy and Bamba...



            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by WstateU View Post

              I'm having another 'senior' moment; who is this Dalen R? I've heard about Joy and Bamba...
              https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...32#post1404132

              Played pretty well in Greece, particularly hitting the boards.

              Comment


              • #22
                Just read The Almanac's WSU preview and thought I would share a few interesting roster tidbits from the writer's conversation with HCPM:
                • All indications point to Xavier Bell being the secondary PG to Bijan Cortes.
                • HCPM is confident Kenny Pohto can regain his shot. Expect Jacob Germany and Pohto to be on the floor together.
                • HCPM counting on Harlond Beverly and Cortes to disrupt ballhandlers on D.
                • HCPM believes Isaac Abidde can be a key cog in the rotation this season (Abidde was mentioned more than I expected in the article).
                • Joy Ighovodja is viewed as a PG by the coaching staff, but is expected to take some time to develop.
                • Mills is still waiting for a third player to take a "star" role alongside Pohto and Rogers. Mills believes the best teams have three all-conference level players.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I'm basing my pick on some very scientific, statistical trends which can best be summarized with the following graphic:




                  1. Memphis
                  2. FAU
                  3. UAB
                  4. Whitchitaw State (a close 4th)

                  What I'm looking forward to:
                  1. Possible return of the home court advantage.
                  2. Upgrade in offensive sets and overall team play. Player accountability. Maybe remembering that so-and-so is sitting over there on the bench and might have something to offer.
                  3. That this is an upgrade in coaching and will carry over to what fans will see on the court, maybe a little better team chemistry and player accountability after watching the dogs run wild and free the past couple of years.
                  4. Would love to see a leader on the defensive end (i.e. shot blocker/intimidator/rebounder - alas, I've said that every year since X-Man.)

                  Hard to pick this far out without having seen a lot of the guys. An informed decision could be objectively made after 2 or 3 games in the non-conference.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Those dice appear to be loaded.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
                      I'm basing my pick on some very scientific, statistical trends which can best be summarized with the following graphic:




                      1. Memphis
                      2. FAU
                      3. UAB
                      4. Whitchitaw State (a close 4th)

                      What I'm looking forward to:
                      1. Possible return of the home court advantage.
                      2. Upgrade in offensive sets and overall team play. Player accountability. Maybe remembering that so-and-so is sitting over there on the bench and might have something to offer.
                      3. That this is an upgrade in coaching and will carry over to what fans will see on the court, maybe a little better team chemistry and player accountability after watching the dogs run wild and free the past couple of years.
                      4. Would love to see a leader on the defensive end (i.e. shot blocker/intimidator/rebounder - alas, I've said that every year since X-Man.)

                      Hard to pick this far out without having seen a lot of the guys. An informed decision could be objectively made after 2 or 3 games in the non-conference.
                      This is my hope. Hopefully HCPM starts our best players and doesn't bring them off the bench

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I'm super curious of this German kid. Specifically on how that could work pairing him with Pohto in the line-up. Getting a little excited here. We getting close kids!

                        Go Shocks!!!
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

                        NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

                        NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

                        AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

                        Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

                        Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I can honestly say I am more excited about this year more so than the last few years. Ok since you ask what I am excited about
                          1. New coaching staff
                          2. New coaching staff attitude
                          3. New coaching staff philosophies
                          4. Players that have nice skill sets
                          5. Players whose skill sets compliment others skill sets
                          6. An AD that is committed to improving the game experience
                          7. An AD that is proactive
                          8. An AD that cares about the fan base.
                          Go Shocks

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Anywhere in top 5-6 ish and fringy NIT team seems like a good step forward and something to be excited about heading into 2024-25. That is the expectations I am holding this team to - is there hope moving forward?

                            I was more positive about this recruiting class than most - but I was also disappointed in not bringing in another PG. I was hoping PM would pull a rabbit out of the hat late in that department. He did not. Not having another viable option there seems like a mistake, but time will tell. Judging by who they went after, it seems like it was not a super high priority.

                            I was super impressed by the late MSU addition in Europe, would love to be right about him and have him come alive.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              I can honestly say I am more excited about this year more so than the last few years. Ok since you ask what I am excited about
                              1. New coaching staff
                              2. New coaching staff attitude
                              3. New coaching staff philosophies
                              4. Players that have nice skill sets
                              5. Players whose skill sets compliment others skill sets
                              6. An AD that is committed to improving the game experience
                              7. An AD that is proactive
                              8. An AD that cares about the fan base.
                              Go Shocks
                              These are excellent points. My favorite may be #4. It seems like players were not chosen just for their athleticism, to be molded into whatever pieces the coaches (including Marshall) wanted them to be, but for specific skills. Whatever it turns out to be, I'm sure it will be different than we've seen in some time. And if player quotes are to be trusted, they may be working harder in preparation than they have in quite some time.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                we seem to have a lot of guys that can play 2-4 and also deep at the 5 with 3 legit post players. Not everyone can play but I don't see a lot of bench warmers on this team.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X