No announcement yet.

2023 Shocker Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally? I would like to see them use up an exhibition and bring in Athletes First and scrimmage for shocker madness.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
      Personally? I would like to see them use up an exhibition and bring in Athletes First and scrimmage for shocker madness.
      So basically you just want them to eliminate Shocker Madness without adding anything. Aren't they limited to 2 exhibition games with their closed scrimmage counting as one of those if they chose to go that route. Or has that limit on exhibition games changed?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

So basically you just want them to eliminate Shocker Madness without adding anything. Aren't they limited to 2 exhibition games with their closed scrimmage counting as one of those if they chose to go that route. Or has that limit on exhibition games changed?
        Watching them play each other has been lackluster, the dunk contest needs to be eliminated, and they can roll the whole event into one night with a scrimmage against a rockhurst level team that doesn’t take much focus. They could start at 2 pm on a Saturday with autographs outside, bring in food trucks, bring in local sports vendors with merch, meet and greet with fall and winter sports teams, bring it inside with $5 general admission and 1/2 price concessions for the women’s scrimmage at 6, retire Fred, Warren, and Ross at 7, warm up at 7:25 and tip at 7:45 against a decent opponent.

tell me that wouldn’t sell out and get people and students excited.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Watching them play each other has been lackluster, the dunk contest needs to be eliminated, and they can roll the whole event into one night with a scrimmage against a rockhurst level team that doesn’t take much focus. They could start at 2 pm on a Saturday with autographs outside, bring in food trucks, bring in local sports vendors with merch, meet and greet with fall and winter sports teams, bring it inside with $5 general admission and 1/2 price concessions for the women’s scrimmage at 6, retire Fred, Warren, and Ross at 7, warm up at 7:25 and tip at 7:45 against a decent opponent.

tell me that wouldn’t sell out and get people and students excited.
          So does that replace the one exhibition game we now regularly play (which I think is included in your season ticket package) or do you drop the closed scrimmage against D-1 competition? The latter probably not a popular choice with the coaching staff.

BTW, has it been announced who we will be scrimmaging against this year?

Oh, and that would not sell our or get people and students particularly excited anymore than then Shock Madness does. Not sure why you wanted me to tell you that but I am complying with your request.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 8, 2023, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

So does that replace the one exhibition game we now regularly play (which I think is included in your season ticket package) or do you drop the closed scrimmage against D-1 competition? The latter probably not a popular choice with the coaching staff.

BTW, has it been announced who we will be scrimmaging against this year?

Oh, and that would not sell out or get people and students particularly excited anymore than then Shock Madness does. Not sure why you wanted me to tell you that but I am complying with your request.
            I can’t tell if you are being dense intentionally.

I am saying roll SM into the one public scrimmage on a Saturday with less stupid stuff on the court and more family oriented activities before hand and make it affordable for a family to spend the afternoon and evening. $5 GM. Retire the three jerseys. The question was rhetorical but last year the home opener had less than 7k in the seats. Season tix are at the lowest since the days of peeing in a trough. Gotta get butts in seats. Having a 4k attended SM and a 6k attended scrimmage is low major. Roll it into one day, get people in the doors, and start the season off with a giant block party with an actual decent court product instead of a gloried pick up game.

Comment

I can’t tell if you are being dense intentionally.

I am saying roll SM into the one public scrimmage on a Saturday with less stupid stuff on the court and more family oriented activities before hand and make it affordable for a family to spend the afternoon and evening. $5 GM. Retire the three jerseys. The question was rhetorical but last year the home opener had less than 7k in the seats. Season tix are at the lowest since the days of peeing in a trough. Gotta get butts in seats. Having a 4k attended SM and a 6k attended scrimmage is low major. Roll it into one day, get people in the doors, and start the season off with a giant block party with an actual decent court product instead of a gloried pick up game.
              I can assure you that '72 is not dense in any way, shape, or form.

It really sounds like what you're proposing would be to eliminate Shocker Madness completely and then try to make a season-opening exhibition game into an all day festival of some type.

Shocker Madness is intended to memorialize the start of basketball PRACTICE. Exhibition games are intended to memorialize the start of the basketball SEASON. If there's anyone being dense in this discussion it's not '72. Not understanding that there is a difference in the dates of the start of practice and the start of games is a fairly significant display of ... I' will try to be polite -it sure ain't a display of brilliance.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Just tell me what time the men divide up and play as that is all a care about

Comment

I need a fog machine, lasers, and a court projector!!

I need a synchronized drone show to loud raucous music!

I need a lights out mobile phone show!

I need a rock band, with fire cannons and indoor fireworks!!

I need a blimp dropping coupons to Spangles and pelting people with impossible-to-catch hard candy from 30 feet that if it doesn't smack you like hail you are expected to pick it up off the dirty floor!
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

It really sounds like what you're proposing would be to eliminate Shocker Madness completely and then try to make a season-opening exhibition game into an all day festival of some type.

Shocker Madness is intended to memorialize the start of basketball PRACTICE. Exhibition games are intended to memorialize the start of the basketball SEASON. If there's anyone being dense in this discussion it's not '72. Not understanding that there is a difference in the dates of the start of practice and the start of games is a fairly significant display of ... I' will try to be polite -it sure ain't a display of brilliance.
                    I get what you’re saying, but SM is about fan engagement ONLY. An exhibition is about the team implementing sets against a live opponent and tuning up for the season. Exhibitions are not about fan engagement at all, except that it’s something fans are allowed to watch.

What I’m saying is from a marketing stand point, SM has been a failure for years, the basketball product is in a bear right now, families are not buying tickets, and games are not selling out.

Maybe everything will magically fix itself overnight but I doubt it. I know I’m in the minority when calling for change like this, but something should change.

Comment

I'm sure in some ways I can be dense. But not only does Shocker Madness memorialize the start of practice, I believe it does in fact count against the NCAA allowed practice time. My recollection os the 3G wasn't wild about it because of that. As far as I know that is still the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        I need a fog machine, lasers, and a court projector!!

I need a synchronized drone show to loud raucous music!

I need a lights out mobile phone show!

I need a rock band, with fire cannons and indoor fireworks!!

I need a blimp dropping coupons to Spangles and pelting people with impossible-to-catch hard candy from 30 feet that if it doesn't smack you like hail you are expected to pick it up off the dirty floor!
                        We could drop turkeys out of a helicopter for Thanksgiving!

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I think that would have been more likely with the previous AD.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Frozen turkeys!
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I think that would have been more likely with the previous AD.
                              Are you suggesting we should drop Boatwrong from a helicopter?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Frozen turkeys!
                                Holiday tip: A great way to thaw them out is to put them in your clothes dryer

Comment

Working...
                                X