Welcome - Paul Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    I have bad eyesight and macular degeneration. I'm too old to walk 1/4 to a 1/2 mile in 20 degree temps to and from the arena. My previous season tickets were row 24. I can see the game better on TV than in CKA, but there is no substitute for the atmosphere and excitement in CKA when the crowd is in the game.

I'm considering season tickets again and getting them while there are still good spots available. I could be priced out of the market for the seats I would need.
    You and I are in the same boat. I can still walk well but you can add floaters and ghosts. Love the atmosphere, seeing old friends, etc but as for watching the games can't beat my basement man cave with big wet bar, comfy recliner and 85" TV

Comment

• How Wichita State conducted basketball coaching search that led to Paul Mills

I'm in no way suggesting Mills wasn't the right hire, but I do find this curious:

Wichita State athletic director Kevin Saal says the national search that ended in Paul Mills being named head coach of the men’s basketball team drew considerable interest from elite coaches around the country.

“An overwhelming majority of the candidates that we talked to are in the NCAA Tournament and they’re highly interested in this place,” Saal said at a news conference Thursday.

He wouldn’t name any of the other contenders but said the search process engaged roughly a dozen active head coaches.
      I can't help but wonder what other coaches were interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

You and I are in the same boat. I can still walk well but you can add floaters and ghosts. Love the atmosphere, seeing old friends, etc but as for watching the games can't beat my basement man cave with big wet bar, comfy recliner and 85" TV
        Love that you both are still able to enjoy Shocker basketball.

I have a 55” TV and I couldn’t imagine trying to watch basketball on an 85” TV unless I’m 30 feet away haha.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          How Wichita State conducted basketball coaching search that led to Paul Mills

I'm in no way suggesting Mills wasn't the right hire, but I do find this curious:

Another interesting quote:

Saal said the profile WSU used to select Mills relied heavily on input from student-athletes, who contributed about three dozen attributes. He declined to share specifics about what players wanted to see in their next head coach.

“They want to develop and be the best that they can be, so it’s all the details that are about student-athlete development and student-athlete experience,” he said. The profile also included input from donors and season ticket-holders.
          I like that the players were able to give input, and I have no doubt Saal convinced them their input would be important. And that may be the key to Pohto attending the announcement and hopefully, getting Walton back and keeping Pierre. It may also explain Rogers and Ballard having enough faith in Saal to make the right hire that they went ahead and signed deals with Armchair.

Comment

• WSU leadership has done a 180. I feel very good about who is in place now.

Comment

• Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein

UConn over Arkansas by 23 --- it wasn't nearly that close. Worst beating I've seen since the Barzini family whacked Sonny Corleone at the toll booth.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                How Wichita State conducted basketball coaching search that led to Paul Mills

Could just be some propped up AD speak.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                  WSU leadership has done a 180. I feel very good about who is in place now.
                  Completely agree. Even if you thought IB should have gotten more of a chance for whatever reason, wasn’t thrilled with the choice to be HC, or are just resistant to change in general. You had to feel great about the leadership of this Athletic department, University, and Program. They are not afraid to make tough decisions to not only deliver the standards that are expected but push to exceed them. Everyday is a great day to be Shocker! But definitely some days make you feel prouder than others and this is one of those times!
                  Ready to watch the roster take shape and can November get here already?!!
                  Last edited by ShoxFan7; March 24, 2023, 10:41 AM.
                  If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Love that you both are still able to enjoy Shocker basketball.

I have a 55” TV and I couldn’t imagine trying to watch basketball on an 85” TV unless I’m 30 feet away haha.
                    You can adjust quickly to an 85" TV

Comment

• One thing that stuck out to me yesterday:

How sharp HCPM looked in a suit!! ;)
                      The Assman

Comment

• Also, hopefully this is a good sign as well; WSU’s two previous greatest coaches had last names that started with “M”:

HCRM
                        HCGM

Here’s to HCPM adding his name to that list!
                        The Assman

Comment

• Interesting article by TE today in talking about the leadership/coaching of Scott Drew. He and ksu coach Tang talked about being a "Servant Leader". This is a term I was unfamiliar with but it sounds more like a term that would be applicable to a sense of a more spiritual level of dealing with others. Apparently this would seem that the coach sees himself as a servant to his players, staff and community. Not a perspective that I am familiar with but it seems to have been successful at Baylor and is instilled in the assistant coaches as well. So I am all on board if this is successful here. I'm sure there are many others more familiar with the term than I am but I just thought it an interesting perspective. And yes those of you more familiar with the term can look at me as just a little better than a pagan. Go Shocks

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            Interesting article by TE today in talking about the leadership/coaching of Scott Drew. He and ksu coach Tang talked about being a "Servant Leader". This is a term I was unfamiliar with but it sounds more like a term that would be applicable to a sense of a more spiritual level of dealing with others. Apparently this would seem that the coach sees himself as a servant to his players, staff and community. Not a perspective that I am familiar with but it seems to have been successful at Baylor and is instilled in the assistant coaches as well. So I am all on board if this is successful here. I'm sure there are many others more familiar with the term than I am but I just thought it an interesting perspective. And yes those of you more familiar with the term can look at me as just a little better than a pagan. Go Shocks
                            Google the term a Servant Leader - there are some good short videos on the concept. This is the first time I have heard of coaches emphasizing the concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                              One thing that stuck out to me yesterday:

How sharp HCPM looked in a suit!! ;)
                              He's more impressive to listen to in an interview! I can see from that standpoint alone why he was hired.

Comment

• Did HCPM have a presser with any of the media yesterday following the introductory presser and is that posted anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                                X