Director of Athletics Kevin Saal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I’d be curious to see how many eyeballs were watching the tournament; the Mrs. and I watched a lot of games and were very impressed; it really looked big-time. I think Brad Pittman deserves a lot of credit… he’s another person we need to retain.

https://goshockers.com/staff-directory/brad-pittman/16
    ADKS did give credit to Brad Pittman in particular.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I’d be curious to see how many eyeballs were watching the tournament; the Mrs. and I watched a lot of games and were very impressed; it really looked big-time. I think Brad Pittman deserves a lot of credit… he’s another person we need to retain.

https://goshockers.com/staff-directory/brad-pittman/16
      He’s been at WSU for like 20 years. He might be here until retirement at this point.

78-65

Comment

• With his son here that is almost a dead certainty.

Comment

• Bob and Jeff

Comment

• Comment

• KFH radio
              Besides basketball, Wilkins and University Stadium updates

41:15 mark

Comment

• 48:00 Minute Mark on my replay.

Comment

• Didn't want to start a new thread, but Kevin hosted the Gala last night. As with any big event like that, I'm sure they will learn from some mistakes and refine and repeat the many, many good parts.

For nearly 20 years, I enjoyed the individual sports banquets, a lot. I'm, personally, sad they have gone away, but I understand and appreciate the need and effort they are going through to make this successful. There are a ton of moving parts and I have no idea how "successful" this year's event was or was not, but it was certainly positive and I think most everyone enjoyed the evening.

I won't rehash everything, and if others were also in attendance I would love to hear your takes, but here are a few things I enjoyed:

Kevin was sharp as always (although his Ipad died and he had to switch to his phone for notes).

I believe they are going to launch an across the board media campaign tied to "Fear the Wheat". They showed a snippet of a teaser video and it was cool. I CANNOT wait to see it unfold especially given that the multi-talented Willie Schwanke is likely to be at the head of the development and that guy is great.

There seemed to be a big focus on baseball. Kevin talked a lot about it and they had Mauricio Millan come up and speak. Damned sharp young man and he talked a lot about culture and building it and making sure the new guys knew the expectations on and, just as importantly, off the field. They highlighted success in the classroom (Mo will be getting his Masters this year, as will several others) and how it's a privilege to wear Wichita State across your chest, and you're going to show that. Mo was FANTASTIC. You want every student athlete like Mo.

Student athletes from every sport were there. Many asked to clean off tables or get anything you needed. I met Alyssa Gonzales from Volleyball. Could NOT be more friendly, engaging, polite and interesting. Lucky to have her in Wichita.

They had a short video showing the day Lucy Ndungu qualified for nationals. Kevin warned that is was emotional, and he was correct. You can't help but love see a kid succeed and break through like it. It meant so much to that young lady.

Denning Gerig was super (and I can only pray we're lucky enough to have him here when Mike decides to hang it up) interviewing the coaches before the event.

Thomas Kosich again traveled here to attend. Enough good things cannot be said about what he's done for his alma mater. He was giving some pointers to QB near the end of the night.

I want to make sure I hit the people that I thought were superstars. Kevin, Denning, Kristi who is always engaging and generous with her time, Lambo too, Kosich, Pelfrey was there too, great guy, the Reece Nichols group with the auction as always (John Rupp), B&C BBQ catering (great as always) all the student athletes for sure, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention Emily Hiebert. Emily of course is running the Collective now, and while she wasn't a centerpiece of the event (FYI she SHOULD be the centerpiece of every event imho) she is SO friendly and engaging and again, generous with her time and sharing experiences and flashing her $20 million smile. She's awesome. And I would encourage every single one of you....if you don't know her, go up and introduce yourself. She's learning her way and wants to succeed so much. She LOVES getting the student athletes involved in the community and she is going to wear this job like few others are capable of wearing it. I'm not saying you need to help her, at all, but if getting involved in some manor is something you are interesting in, or you can help facilitate some kind of community activity, TALK TO HER. Spending any time with this young woman is a bonus and you'll enjoy what you're doing for the student athletes and she'll be more appreciative than almost anyone would tend to be, even in that position.

It was a fun evening, as always.
                  Last edited by WuDrWu; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• That's a great summary. Like you, I really came away very impressed with Mauricio Millan. If he is an example of the type of culture and attitude that Coach Green is instilling then we are in great shape. Also, I liked the interaction of the student athletes with the crowd and how they cheered and encouraged bidding when a live auction event was connected to their particular sport. I had the chance to meet Terry Nooner in the concourse and came away with a great vibe towards women's hoops- a sport that to be honest I had not paid particular attention to in the past- but will now. Looked at goshockers.com and a season ticket is just $ 50 so hopefully attendance goes up there. AD KS stood at the door at the end of the night thanking folks as they left- - a nice touch.

For what its worth I thought the crowd demographic skewed a little younger than at these types of events in the past and that's a good thing. All in all a really great night and I hope lots of $ was raised.
                    Last edited by Power Outlet; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Didn't want to start a new thread, but Kevin hosted the Gala last night. As with any big event like that, I'm sure they will learn from some mistakes and refine and repeat the many, many good parts.

For nearly 20 years, I enjoyed the individual sports banquets, a lot. I'm, personally, sad they have gone away, but I understand and appreciate the need and effort they are going through to make this successful. There are a ton of moving parts and I have no idea how "successful" this year's event was or was not, but it was certainly positive and I think most everyone enjoyed the evening.

I won't rehash everything, and if others were also in attendance I would love to hear your takes, but here are a few things I enjoyed:

Kevin was sharp as always (although his Ipad died and he had to switch to his phone for notes).

I believe they are going to launch an across the board media campaign tied to "Fear the Wheat". They showed a snippet of a teaser video and it was cool. I CANNOT wait to see it unfold especially given that the multi-talented Willie Schwanke is likely to be at the head of the development and that guy is great.

There seemed to be a big focus on baseball. Kevin talked a lot about it and they had Mauricio Millan come up and speak. Damned sharp young man and he talked a lot about culture and building it and making sure the new guys knew the expectations on and, just as importantly, off the field. They highlighted success in the classroom (Mo will be getting his Masters this year, as will several others) and how it's a privilege to wear Wichita State across your chest, and you're going to show that. Mo was FANTASTIC. You want every student athlete like Mo.

Student athletes from every sport were there. Many asked to clean off tables or get anything you needed. I met Alyssa Gonzales from Volleyball. Could NOT be more friendly, engaging, polite and interesting. Lucky to have her in Wichita.

They had a short video showing the day Lucy Ndungu qualified for nationals. Kevin warned that is was emotional, and he was correct. You can't help but love see a kid succeed and break through like it. It meant so much to that young lady.

Denning Gerig was super (and I can only pray we're lucky enough to have him here when Mike decides to hang it up) interviewing the coaches before the event.

Thomas Kosich again traveled here to attend. Enough good things cannot be said about what he's done for his alma mater. He was giving some pointers to QB near the end of the night.

I want to make sure I hit the people that I thought were superstars. Kevin, Denning, Kristi who is always engaging and generous with her time, Lambo too, Kosich, Pelfrey was there too, great guy, the Reece Nichols group with the auction as always (John Rupp), B&C BBQ catering (great as always) all the student athletes for sure, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention Emily Hiebert. Emily of course is running the Collective now, and while she wasn't a centerpiece of the event (FYI she SHOULD be the centerpiece of every event imho) she is SO friendly and engaging and again, generous with her time and sharing experiences and flashing her $20 million smile. She's awesome. And I would encourage every single one of you....if you don't know her, go up and introduce yourself. She's learning her way and wants to succeed so much. She LOVES getting the student athletes involved in the community and she is going to wear this job like few others are capable of wearing it. I'm not saying you need to help her, at all, but if getting involved in some manor is something you are interesting in, or you can help facilitate some kind of community activity, TALK TO HER. Spending any time with this young woman is a bonus and you'll enjoy what you're doing for the student athletes and she'll be more appreciative than almost anyone would tend to be, even in that position.

It was a fun evening, as always.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Ok, that was way cool!
                          Go Shocks!

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Found this "Letter from Kevin Seal" addressing fan support through attendance and NIL:
                              Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

Working...
                              X