Director of Athletics Kevin Saal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

FIFY. I agree with what you’re saying. But technically, your last sentence was incorrect, because if we follow that, we would be funding softball first.
    Fair .. though we are good at supporting MBB when its good .. which is what I was getting at. Every other sport (even baseball to an extent) doesn't get near the support of MBB even when good.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Red lights and emergency bells went off when I heard him comment we needed 3-400K for womens basketball NIL.

Yeah, no. 3-4 dollars, MAYBE. And as I've said many times, companies want to use someone for endorsement etc, by all means, cash in. Donors specifically want money to go that way, fine.

Cash from ticket holders for that, or spreading the money around? HARD effing pass and I can't believe the issue is even raised.
      I think he meant if there were $2.5 million in NIL money to distribute, WBB would need $300 to 400,000 to compete at the top of the league. I don’t go to WBB, but I will say I think it has the most potential to attract revenue to the department without a great investment because the facility is there. If the next Jackie Stiles comes onto the scene locally, I think a young lady like that would be worth the investment. From what Saal said, I think 75% to 80% of NIL money raised for 23/24 was used for MBB.

The softball stadium is fine as it is. The WSU Foundation’s “donation” of I think $3 million is ridiculous. Softball will always lose money even if it was 100% sold out.

Comment

• Men's basketball is clearly the lynch pin to the health and stability of the entire athletic department especially with the current structure of funding the athletic department and SASO. SASO is almost exclusively funded by memberships tied to men's basketball season tickets the way I understand it. Every other program's existence is underpinned by the support men's basketball generates.

It seems clear that you can't take care of the rest of the athletic department if you are unable to take care of men's basketball.

I would certainly think (or at least hope) ADKS understands this as well as any of us do.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
          Saal is speed running an A+ to F- run as AD
          How so? Please elaborate.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

How so? Please elaborate.
            What are his responsibilities?

How are they fairing?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Since there is no real accounting of how NIL money is being spent, it could be a classic case of tell the public one thing, do another behind closed doors. Would make sense if he was attempting to head off any Title IX challenges coming down the pipe.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                Since there is no real accounting of how NIL money is being spent, it could be a classic case of tell the public one thing, do another behind closed doors. Would make sense if he was attempting to head off any Title IX challenges coming down the pipe.
                This! Once schools become involved in NIL, then Title IX is likely to apply.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Red lights and emergency bells went off when I heard him comment we needed 3-400K for womens basketball NIL.
                  He has a plan. It would be a lot easier to have the greatest WBB team in the nation than in MBB. All he needs is some $$$$ to recruit some men to pretend to be women and to go win some championships. Koch will sell out.

Comment

• Originally posted by ky-mike View Post

This! Once schools become involved in NIL, then Title IX is likely to apply.
                    Could be interesting here. NIL is mandated by courts that it be allowed so players can "earn their market value". Title IX strives to make sure there is equality between men's and women's sports. Looking at the difference of the #1 draft pick in both men's and women's draft it's clear that the market value isn't the same. Feels like Title IX and school driven NIL will struggle to exist together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Could be interesting here. NIL is mandated by courts that it be allowed so players can "earn their market value". Title IX strives to make sure there is equality between men's and women's sports. Looking at the difference of the #1 draft pick in both men's and women's draft it's clear that the market value isn't the same. Feels like Title IX and school driven NIL will struggle to exist together.
                      Some of the top earners in NIL are women.

NIL is coming to schools. I don't expect the courts to do a market analysis on whether Title IX is being met.

Comment

• Schools just need to go back to selling jerseys with players names and numbers and give each player a cut of the their jersey sales. Let the market decide who gets paid what.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Schools just need to go back to selling jerseys with players names and numbers and give each player a cut of the their jersey sales. Let the market decide who gets paid what.
                          This, plus players being able to pursue their own 'actual' endorsement deals was the guise under which this was all pursued. Anyone with a brain knew that wasn't how it was actually going to work, but lots of people don't like to listen.

We reap what we sow. In this case, a network of 3rd-tier semi-pro teams wearing your alma mater's logo sucking at the teat of fanbases still gullible enough to think the teams are in any way a part of, or representative of, their universities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

This, plus players being able to pursue their own 'actual' endorsement deals was the guise under which this was all pursued. Anyone with a brain knew that wasn't how it was actually going to work, but lots of people don't like to listen.

We reap what we sow. In this case, a network of 3rd-tier semi-pro teams wearing your alma mater's logo sucking at the teat of fanbases still gullible enough to think the teams are in any way a part of, or representative of, their universities.
                            The whole sociological and psychological aspect of sports fandom is quite interesting. Our need to belong and feel powerful is baked into us, but since we don't have to fight for literal survival like earlier humans did, we seek substitutes for that. And boy are we willing to spend money on those pursuits!
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post

I think he meant if there were $2.5 million in NIL money to distribute, WBB would need $300 to 400,000 to compete at the top of the league. I don’t go to WBB, but I will say I think it has the most potential to attract revenue to the department without a great investment because the facility is there. If the next Jackie Stiles comes onto the scene locally, I think a young lady like that would be worth the investment. From what Saal said, I think 75% to 80% of NIL money raised for 23/24 was used for MBB.

The softball stadium is fine as it is. The WSU Foundation’s “donation” of I think $3 million is ridiculous. Softball will always lose money even if it was 100% sold out.
                              I guess I will be the one to say it. Investing in Softball is important and makes a ton of sense. We are nationally competitive and have a great coach who is only going to stay if we invest in the program. More importantly the popularity of college softball is exploding. It is fast paced, has relatively short but usually high scoring games, and is a great fit for tv. With that said, MBB is the revenue driver and unless a donor specifies a sport, NIL needs to go to Basketball. Getting pitchers for baseball and softball needs to be priority #2.

Comment

Working...
                              X