Director of Athletics Kevin Saal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    After firing Brown and hiring Green, White and Black just don't know where they stand with Saal.
    Sounds like a grey area to me :)
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Sounds like a grey area to me :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        After firing Brown and hiring Green, White and Black just don't know where they stand with Saal.
        Damn that's good. To complete this: let's bring The Red Green Show to the ICT.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

ADKS on Sports Daily 5July

Conf realignment impact to AAC, Facility Upgrades, FVV and SMcK, conf championship goals.

Comment

I elected to post this here as it really doesn't belong on the Paul Mills thread.

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
            Ok.., you comparing PM and CL styles and processes based on the Athletic article and me responding “I hope not” is due to CL not being in the tournament for 5 years. That pretty much explains it,don’t you think.

If PM doesn’t make the tournament in five years he’ll probably be fired. Chris might too after this year if he doesn’t produce
            It does explain it. I take it that what you meant to post was: While their coaching styles and process may be similar, I hope PM's results are better than CL's have been in the past few years. So do I.

I would point out that you can have similar styles and processes and different results due to many other factors.

As far as Lambo being fired after this year if he doesn't produce I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I assume produce means to meat ADKS expectations since he makes those decisions. ADKS said his main goal is to make Shocker sports more competitive to the point where all 15 programs finish in the top third of conference standings every year. That would mean a top 4 or 5 finish for Shocker volleyball in the new 14-team AAC. Should be doable although the Shocks play in the tougher of the 2 divisions so there may be questions on how that is measured. In volleyball, perhaps that should be in the top third in RPI.

As far as all 15 programs being top third every year I doubt that will happen. That was possible, although not easy, in the Valley. Seems unlikely in the AAC based on the Shocks overall performance since joining the AAC. The difference between MBB and the other 14 programs is that is pretty much a must for the overall athletic program to be viable while for the rest of the programs it is worthy goal to strive for but won't make or break the athletic department. So, fair or not, the standard for Paul Mills or any Shocker MBB coach is much higher and less forgiving than any of our other sports.

It would certainly be helpful for Volleyball, WBB, Baseball and Softball to be successful as they have the potential to bring in some revenue to the athletic department.

To this point in AAC competition our Track and Filed programs have been the crown jewels winning 4 of the 8 AAC Championships. Women's XC (2018), Women's Outdoor T&F (2019), Men's Outdoor T&F (2022, 2023). Unfortunately that doesn't do much to keep the lights on.

The other 4 Championships are Volleyball (2017), Men's Basketball (2020-21 Covid Season), and Softball (2021, 2023).

During the 2022-23 Season the Shocks had the following finishes:

Men's Outdoor Track & Field - 1st of 8 Teams (Championship Meet)
            Softball - 1st of 7 Teams (Regular Season)
            Men's XC - 2nd of 9 Teams (Championship Meet)
            Baseball - 3rd of 8 Teams (Poor Regular Season Finish + 0-2 in the AAC Tournament)
            Volleyball - 4th of 11 Teams (Regular Season)

Men's Indoor T&F - 4th of 7 Teams (Championship Tournament)
            Women's XC - 5th of 11 Teams (Championship Meet)
            Women's Tennis - 5th of 11 Teams (Championship Seeding)
            Men's Basketball - 6th of 11 Teams (Regular Season +1-1 in the AAC Tournament)
            Women's Outdoor T&F - 7th of 11 Teams (Championship Meet)

Men's Tennis - 7th of 8 Teams (Championship Seeding)
            Women's Basketball - 8th of 11 Teams (Regular Season +2-1 in the AAC Tournament)
            Men's Golf - 8th of 9 Teams (Championship Tournament)
            Women's Indoor T&F - 10th of 11 Teams (Championship Meet)
            Women's Golf - 10th of 10 Teams (Championship Tournament)

A far cry from what the Shocks had grown accustomed to in the Valley and a long way from reach the goal set by ADKS. Now we enter into new era with the reconfigured and expanded AAC. Not sure that it will make things any easier or the Shocks to reach the goals ADKS has set.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              I elected to post this here as it really doesn't belong on the Paul Mills thread.

It does explain it. I take it that what you meant to post was: While their coaching styles and process may be similar, I hope PM's results are better than CL's have been in the past few years. So do I.

I would point out that you can have similar styles and processes and different results due to many other factors.

As far as Lambo being fired after this year if he doesn't produce I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I assume produce means to meat ADKS expectations since he makes those decisions. ADKS said his main goal is to make Shocker sports more competitive to the point where all 15 programs finish in the top third of conference standings every year. That would mean a top 4 or 5 finish for Shocker volleyball in the new 14-team AAC. Should be doable although the Shocks play in the tougher of the 2 divisions so there may be questions on how that is measured. In volleyball, perhaps that should be in the top third in RPI.

As far as all 15 programs being top third every year I doubt that will happen. That was possible, although not easy, in the Valley. Seems unlikely in the AAC based on the Shocks overall performance since joining the AAC. The difference between MBB and the other 14 programs is that is pretty much a must for the overall athletic program to be viable while for the rest of the programs it is worthy goal to strive for but won't make or break the athletic department. So, fair or not, the standard for Paul Mills or any Shocker MBB coach is much higher and less forgiving than any of our other sports.

It would certainly be helpful for Volleyball, WBB, Baseball and Softball to be successful as they have the potential to bring in some revenue to the athletic department.

To this point in AAC competition our Track and Filed programs have been the crown jewels winning 4 of the 8 AAC Championships. Women's XC (2018), Women's Outdoor T&F (2019), Men's Outdoor T&F (2022, 2023). Unfortunately that doesn't do much to keep the lights on.

The other 4 Championships are Volleyball (2017), Men's Basketball (2020-21 Covid Season), and Softball (2021, 2023).

During the 2022-23 Season the Shocks had the following finishes:

Men's Outdoor Track & Field - 1st of 8 Teams (Championship Meet)
              Softball - 1st of 7 Teams (Regular Season)
              Men's XC - 2nd of 9 Teams (Championship Meet)
              Baseball - 3rd of 8 Teams (Poor Regular Season Finish + 0-2 in the AAC Tournament)
              Volleyball - 4th of 11 Teams (Regular Season)

Men's Indoor T&F - 4th of 7 Teams (Championship Tournament)
              Women's XC - 5th of 11 Teams (Championship Meet)
              Women's Tennis - 5th of 11 Teams (Championship Seeding)
              Men's Basketball - 6th of 11 Teams (Regular Season +1-1 in the AAC Tournament)
              Women's Outdoor T&F - 7th of 11 Teams (Championship Meet)

Men's Tennis - 7th of 8 Teams (Championship Seeding)
              Women's Basketball - 8th of 11 Teams (Regular Season +2-1 in the AAC Tournament)
              Men's Golf - 8th of 9 Teams (Championship Tournament)
              Women's Indoor T&F - 10th of 11 Teams (Championship Meet)
              Women's Golf - 10th of 10 Teams (Championship Tournament)

A far cry from what the Shocks had grown accustomed to in the Valley and a long way from reach the goal set by ADKS. Now we enter into new era with the reconfigured and expanded AAC. Not sure that it will make things any easier or the Shocks to reach the goals ADKS has set.

Comment

No question. ADKS inherited a mess. But don't forget this villain either:

Comment

Letter from the AD

Dear Shocker Nation,

Today is the first day of classes at Wichita State and we are excited to have all our student-athletes back on campus!

In May we announced that our student-athletes set an all-time athletics program record with a 3.406 cumulative grade-point average for the Spring 2023 semester! It was also the 36th-consecutive semester of earning higher than a 3.00 cumulative grade-point average.

In August of 2022, Wichita State Athletics established a bold and aggressive set of five-year strategic objectives. Academically, we achieved all three benchmarks last semester (3.0 10 of next 10 semesters, 3.3 five of next 10 semesters and 3.4 once in the next 10 semesters) with the school-record GPA of 3.406. We also reached 1,200+ community service hours - contributed by all athletics student-athletes, coaches and staff - more than the 1,000 annual goal. We collected two conference championships (softball and men's track and field) as we look to achieve 15 conference championships by June of 2027. We look forward to achieving more of these goals in 2023-24!

At the end of July, we announced "Your House on the Prairie", a marketing campaign focusing on providing Shocker fans a sense of ownership, belonging and pride within the program. This campaign was collaboratively designed based upon direct feedback from our fan base and paired with innovative fan experience practices throughout the sports entertainment industry.

We are committed to continuing our efforts in support of season ticket holder appreciation, prioritizing affordability for families, and an emphasis on collaboration and innovation to consistently enhance the fan experience. Specific information on these initiatives will be announced in the coming months including season ticket holder benefits, concession menu enhancements, arena improvements, fan friendly ticket pricing and enhanced game presentation/fan experience elements.

Here are some exciting things happening at Wichita State:
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Not that anyone is reading, but Kevin Saal will be on Sports Sunday in a few minutes. Shocker fall sports update.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Go Shockers - Wichita State Partners With Teamworks

Wichita State Athletics has entered into a department-wide partnership with Teamworks, the leading athlete engagement platform for collegiate and professional organizations.

"Teamworks' platform and incredibly experienced and professional leadership team make them valuable partners as we seek to transform the student-athlete experience at Wichita State University," said Director of Athletics Kevin Saal. "From communication to scheduling, compliance to fundraising, Teamworks and their affiliated products will streamline our day-to-day operations and supplement productivity for our department, 15 sports programs and over 250 student-athletes who develop within them."

The comprehensive platform partnership will allow Shocker student-athletes to easily access all information and communication regarding scheduling, compliance, team operations, and more through a centralized portal on their mobile phones.

"We're excited to support Wichita State Athletics with Teamworks Hub and ARMS," said Luke Barthel, Sr. Account Executive at Teamworks. "This partnership will empower every team in the athletic department to provide exceptional support and resources to all student-athletes."

Wichita State will be able to leverage Teamworks to enhance internal and external communication and centralize the flow of information regarding student-athlete services. The centralization through Teamworks simplifies logistics, allowing minimal distractions to set student-athletes up for success in both the classroom and competition.

Wichita State joins hundreds of other collegiate athletic departments as well as professional teams in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, EPL, MLS, and others who utilize Teamworks. The technology will allow quicker and simplified communication for all student-athletes and coaches.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Gee, it seems as we actually have a competent, professional athletic department administration in place. Been a while.

Comment

I don’t quite know how to feel about such uncharted waters

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            I don’t quite know how to feel about such uncharted waters
                            I am taking that as a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Comment

Wonder when the Under Armor contract expires? I’m sure our previous AD signed one ‘whale of a deal’.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                                Wonder when the Under Armor contract expires? I’m sure our previous AD signed one ‘whale of a deal’.
                                It was so pathetic he didn't even have the balls to release the details.

UA gear blows.

Comment

Working...
                                X