No announcement yet.

Director of Athletics Kevin Saal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, exactly what does this mean, anymore? Tons of school districts still publish High Honor and Honor rolls in newspapers. Many have lists of 4.0 students. Man, are kids these days really smart, or what? This year, the HS I graduated from had 14 valedictorians (4.0). Over 70% of seniors were on at least the Honor Roll (3.2 or higher). I didn’t realize we were so unintelligent back in the day. I mean, there might have been 2, 4.0 students in my class of 110, and maybe 20-25% on an Honor Roll.

If there’s an incentive for teachers/administrators to achieve a certain GPA, they’ll do it…maybe by just simplifying the requirements for grades.

I know, I know…I’m just out here in fairytale land with the conspiracy theories, so forget what I’ve just posted. It’s crazy talk!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
      So, exactly what does this mean, anymore? Tons of school districts still publish High Honor and Honor rolls in newspapers. Many have lists of 4.0 students. Man, are kids these days really smart, or what? This year, the HS I graduated from had 14 valedictorians (4.0). Over 70% of seniors were on at least the Honor Roll (3.2 or higher). I didn’t realize we were so unintelligent back in the day. I mean, there might have been 2, 4.0 students in my class of 110, and maybe 20-25% on an Honor Roll.

If there’s an incentive for teachers/administrators to achieve a certain GPA, they’ll do it…maybe by just simplifying the requirements for grades.

I know, I know…I’m just out here in fairytale land with the conspiracy theories, so forget what I’ve just posted. It’s crazy talk!!
      I think you're on the right track. I'm not sure that all school districts are easing standards so that kids can reach them, and I'm not sure that all Honors Courses are being done away with or altered, but in some states, that sounds like what is happening.

Comment

Grades were always decent under Boatright as well, so the academic staff Saal left intact should get the bulk of the credit after the athletes themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post

4.0 doesn’t mean as much anymore when a lot of schools offer all the AP classes where they can get 5 points for that class or get a score bump. Some schools are on a 6.0 scale now, I can’t even keep up. It’s very difficult to compare apples to apples.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

4.0 doesn’t mean as much anymore when a lot of schools offer all the AP classes where they can get 5 points for that class or get a score bump. Some schools are on a 6.0 scale now, ...
            Are you serious? I had no idea.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I still operate on a 10-point scale. If I am a 4 at anything it is considered A+.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Are you serious? I had no idea.
                Yes, I am talking high school though. College is still straightforward 4.0 scoring.

Comment

Yeah, AP has kinda changed the game. A 4.0 is still good, but the real high achieving kids are getting 4.3-4.5. The best schools only get a handful of those students.

Comment

Go Shockers - A Letter From The AD

Dear Shocker Nation,

Summer is here, but we still have student-athletes and teams competing in baseball and track and field. The postseason is always an exciting time of year!

We are extremely proud of all of our Shocker graduates! More than 45 student-athletes earned their degrees in May. We will continue to support them as they either finish their athletic eligibility or venture out into the workforce.

Our student-athletes set a school record with a 3.406 cumulative grade-point average for the Spring 2023 semester! It was also the 36th-consecutive semester of earning higher than a 3.00 cumulative grade-point average.

In August of 2022, Wichita State Athletics established a bold and aggressive set of five-year strategic objectives. Academically, we achieved all three goals this semester with the school-record GPA of 3.406. We also reached more than 1,000 community service hours this year by the athletic department staff and student-athletes. We collected two conference championships (softball and men's track and field) as we look to achieve 15 conference championships by 2027.

The Shocker softball team finished the regular season 43-9 overall and 16-2 in the AAC. They received an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament and made their third-straight trip. The team garnered many awards during the 2023 season highlighted by Sydney McKinney who was named a top-10 finalist for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year. She also earned AAC Player of the Year and first team all-region honors. McKinney, Addison Barnard, Zoe Jones, and Lauren Lucas all earned first team all-conference honors, while Sami Hood, Alex Aguilar, Lauren Howell and Lainie Brown were all named to the second team. Hood also earned Defensive Player of the Year honors, while Aguilar was named Rookie of the Year. Hood, Aguilar and Taylor Sedlacek were named to the All-Rookie Team. The coaching staff of Kristi Bredbenner, Elizabeth Economon, Presley Bell and Nicole Pendley took home the Coaching Staff of the Year Award.

The men's track and field team repeated as AAC Outdoor team champions, while the women's team outperformed projections and finished seventh. The Shocker men overcame a projected 38-point deficit to Houston on the final day of competition to claim the team title with 154 points, beating the Cougars by just two points. The Shockers now send 11 athletes to the NCAA West Preliminaries May 24-27 in Sacramento, Calif.

Here are some exciting things happening at Wichita State:

The baseball team just wrapped up the regular-season with a third-place finish in the American. The Shockers are currently playing in the AAC Championship May 23-28 in Clearwater, Fla., and are led by AAC Coach of the Year Loren Hibbs, AAC Player of the Year Brock Rodden and first team all-conference selections Chuck Ingram, Payton Tolle, Grant Adler and Clark Candiotti.

We have two new head basketball coaches in men's coach Paul Mills and women's coach Terry Nooner. Mills comes to WSU from Oral Roberts where he transformed the Golden Eagles from conference bottom dwellers to undefeated champions over a six-year span with NCAA Tournament bids in two of the last three years including a Sweet 16 appearance. Nooner comes to WSU from Kansas where he was associate head coach and helped lead the Jayhawks to the 2023 WNIT title. Both coaches have hired new staff and are working on recruiting and filling their rosters. We can't wait for you to meet both of them at the Say Hey and Signatures event on June 27.

Join us at TBT as the AfterShocks will be playing in Charles Koch Arena starting on July 20. During halftime of the July 21 game, we will have a special recognition of Fred VanVleet and the new weight room dedication as well as recognition of the 2013 Final Four team. Tickets for TBT games are on sale now through GoShockers.com.

Letter From the AD Big 4
                    Here are today's Big 4 ways to help the Shockers:
                    1. Come see our coaches at one of our Shocker Summer Caravan events! The events will feature meet and greets with select coaches and staff as well as question and answer sessions with emcee Mike Kennedy. Fans in attendance will also have the opportunity to win door prizes, take photos with special guests and hear from Athletic Director Kevin Saal on athletic department updates.

The four cities include:
                      Hutchinson, Kansas – June 5 at Salt City Brewing (514 N. Main, Hutchinson, KS) from 5-7 p.m. - RSVP
                      • Special Guests: Paul Mills (MBB Coach), Terry Nooner (WBB Coach), Darragh Glavin (MT Coach) and Kirk Hunter (CC Coach)
                      Kansas City, Kansas – June 6 at Overland Park Chicken N Pickle (5901 W. 135th St., Overland Park, KS) from 5-7 p.m. - RSVP
                      • Special Guests: Paul Mills (MBB Coach), Terry Nooner (WBB Coach), Colin Foster (WT Coach) and Tom McCurdy (WG Coach)
                      Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – June 13 at Chicken N Pickle (8400 N Oklahoma Ave., OKC, OK) from 5-7 p.m. - RSVP
                      • Special Guests: Paul Mills (MBB Coach), Terry Nooner (WBB Coach), Loren Hibbs (BSB Coach) and Chris Lamb (VB Coach)
                      Dodge City, Kansas – June 14 at Dodge City Brewery (701 3rd Ave., Dodge City, KS) from 5-7 p.m. - RSVP
                      • Special Guests: Paul Mills (MBB Coach), Terry Nooner (WBB Coach) and Steve Rainbolt (TF Coach)
                    2. Mark your calendars for our first annual Black and Yellow Gala! It will take place on Saturday, August 19, 2023 in Charles Koch Arena. Fundraising from this annual dinner and auction will directly support all Shocker student-athletes and teams. More information on auction items and programming will be announced soon. Click here to purchase a table or individual tickets.
                    3. Complete our fan experience survey for a chance to win prizes. The 2022-23 athletic year has concluded and Shocker Athletics is seeking feedback to improve its fan experience at all ticketed athletic events including volleyball, men's basketball, baseball and softball. Survey participants will be entered into drawings for various prizes including free tickets, unique experiences, Shocker apparel and home décor. Click here to take the survey!
                    4. Purchase men's and women's basketball season tickets today! Call (316) 978-FANS to purchase tickets or go online at GoShockers.com. Join us for the journey during the 2023-24 season!

Thank you for your support during the 2022-23 season and we look forward to seeing you this summer at a caravan stop or TBT!

Go Shocks!

Kevin Saal
                    Director of Athletics
                    Yeah, I got lazy and just pasted the whole thing.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                      Yeah, AP has kinda changed the game. A 4.0 is still good, but the real high achieving kids are getting 4.3-4.5. The best schools only get a handful of those students.
                      Not the schools I’m referring to. I would bet most of the schools outside the larger metro areas are still using 4.0 scales. Not many AP programs in the 5A and lower classifications - outside of private schools (I don’t believe).

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Go Shockers - A Letter From The AD

Yeah, I got lazy and just pasted the whole thing.
                        No need for the non-binary third gender question. How woke can you be?

Comment

Originally posted by DwShock View Post

No need for the non-binary third gender question. How woke can you be?
                          That’s probably standard noise now.

Comment

Sports Daily June 21st

Comment

Noted WSU is still looking to fill two spots on the basketball team (as we knew) and that guards are a priority.

Comment

he is a bullshitter deluxe

Comment

Working...
                                X