No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Tulsa (01/14/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGG's last 3 teams here had horrible offenses. Ray Charles could see that. And he even he thought they were hard to watch sometimes.

No one ever confused GGG for an offensive guru. Well, then again...

Comment

• What would Ray Charles say now?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
        GGG's last 3 teams here had horrible offenses. Ray Charles could see that. And he even he thought they were hard to watch sometimes.
        You’re absolutely correct. We did have some bad offense after Landry and Conner left.

They were hard to watch offensively, especially his last season. But that team was so good defensively (8th nationally in KenPom defensive efficiency). Which helped a ton, and would have been the only reason we made the tournament if it was played.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

You’re absolutely correct. We did have some bad offense after Landry and Conner left.

They were hard to watch offensively, especially his last season. But that team was so good defensively (8th nationally in KenPom defensive efficiency). Which helped a ton, and would have been the only reason we made the tournament if it was played.
          Landry and Conner are exhibit A for ruining a great thing. Conner should have been PG all along but not in the typical 3G system. He is great when he's allowed to dominate the ball, but he was not great trying to run the 3G offense. So we put perhaps the best natural 2 guard in the past 25 years at WSU at the point and put the 6 footer at the 2, essentially handicapping both of them. Not to mention we had another future all Big 12 PG, Austin Reaves playing the wing.

Comment

GGG's last 3 teams here had horrible offenses. Ray Charles could see that. And he even he thought they were hard to watch sometimes.

Confused is the word for your post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I'm not saying that. That team never meshed. They played great against Mississippi, but some games they were very bad. There was a lot of selfishness, and problems under the surface. I just disagreed with you, and I never lost my belief in Marshall. We are witnessing how divisive Stevenson is. That team while not perfect, was not difficult to watch. I spent a lot of money, and watched every game (40 minutes). This year's team is frustrating to watch, and I don't even watch an entire game on television without getting frustrated, and turning the channel.
              I'm impressed that you watched all 40 minutes of the road game against Houston where the team clearly gave up, and the last 15 minutes were essentially garbage time. That was the point of the season where I realized something was clearly wrong with the team behind the scenes and was the only game I turned off early.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I'm impressed that you watched all 40 minutes of the road game against Houston where the team clearly gave up, and the last 15 minutes were essentially garbage time. That was the point of the season where I realized something was clearly wrong with the team behind the scenes and was the only game I turned off early.
                Like most people, I absolutely turned that game off. I turned off the SMU roadie too, thinking it was going to be a similar fate, only to have turned it back on when I saw that WSU cut it back to single digits (in a fairly quick manner too).

I too confirm that I started to sense something was wrong. Right around that time, I was told by a member of the staff that TP was "a dick."
                78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Landry and Conner are exhibit A for ruining a great thing. Conner should have been PG all along but not in the typical 3G system. He is great when he's allowed to dominate the ball, but he was not great trying to run the 3G offense. So we put perhaps the best natural 2 guard in the past 25 years at WSU at the point and put the 6 footer at the 2, essentially handicapping both of them. Not to mention we had another future all Big 12 PG, Austin Reaves playing the wing.
                  Running Landry at point and Conner at off-guard meant that we were #4 in AdjO (#6 at Torvik) in 2018 and #13 in AdjO (#22 at Torvik) in 2017. Hardly ruining a great thing. Those teams filled it up night in and night out.

Not to mention you can't play any of Landry, Austin, or Conner at the 3 because of defense, and because we had Zach Brown and Rashard Kelly to guard guys who play that position, even though 2017-2018 was a disaster defensively due to a number of factors, including the departure of both Jans and Heiar.

See below, and keep in mind that 2018's schedule, particularly in conference, was more difficult than 2017.
                  Player - ORtg per KenPom 2017 2018
                  Landry Shamet 129.6 127.5
                  Conner Frankamp 129.8 126.4
                  Austin Reaves 125.1 120.3

Comment

KenPom adjusted offense rankings - Wichita State:

Gregg Marshall:
                    2007-08: 70th
                    2008-09: 164th
                    2009-10: 76th
                    2010-11: 31st
                    2011-12: 11th
                    2012-13: 35th
                    2013-14: 17th
                    2014-15: 19th
                    2015-16 67th
                    2016-17: 13th
                    2017-18: 4th
                    2018-19: 135th
                    2019-20: 117th

In his 13 seasons at WSU, Marshall's KenPom team offensive efficiency averaged 58th. Which years look like the outliers in the above figures? Take a look at the rosters for those years and tell me what or who could have contributed to such awful regression in offense.

Comment

I spent quite a bit of money to watch. I and 10,500. You watched tv. I now am as low as you always were.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I spent quite a bit of money to watch. I and 10,500. You watched tv. I now am as low as you always were.
                        You do realize that TrackSuitAndTie lives in Canada, right?

I think I have that correct.

Comment

• This was the Tulsa game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

You do realize that TrackSuitAndTie lives in Canada, right?

I think I have that correct.
                            That is correct lol. My first time seeing the Shocks live will be in February when I head down to Philly for the Temple game.

Comment

That is correct lol. My first time seeing the Shocks live will be in February when I head down to Philly for the Temple game.
                              I went to the Temple game a couple years ago. Small venue, good place to watch. You will probably be able to move down and sit above the Shocker bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by Regul8te View Post
                                Tultanic - 59
                                Wusitania - 66

In a thrilling race to the bottom.
                                Hey....I see what you did there....clever...

Comment

Working...
                                X