No announcement yet.

Top Coach Isaac Brown Excuses for the 2022-23 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is incompetence not cause for firing? i think that would be an easy case to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Faithful View Post
      Is incompetence not cause for firing? i think that would be an easy case to make.
      No it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Faithful View Post
        Unfortunately coaches contracts are rarely or never written in such a way where win/loss performance becomes "cause" for termination without a buyout. And has been stated, yes, gee thanks Boatwrong for the spectacularly shitty contract terms.
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I appreciate everyone's response and feedback to my post. Just to clarify, I'm not advocating for everyone to not criticize. Far from it. It was more for the well being of all the fans here, as much as for the program. We all need to be held accountable in our jobs, and HCIB is not exempt from that accountability.

I just hate to see it exclusively about that here, or even primarily. If it turns out that way, so be it. I get it. I just don't want to see us (as a whole) not enjoy whatever good times may be had just because we're singularly focused on one particular outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            I appreciate everyone's response and feedback to my post. Just to clarify, I'm not advocating for everyone to not criticize. Far from it. It was more for the well being of all the fans here, as much as for the program. We all need to be held accountable in our jobs, and HCIB is not exempt from that accountability.

I just hate to see it exclusively about that here, or even primarily. If it turns out that way, so be it. I get it. I just don't want to see us (as a whole) not enjoy whatever good times may be had just because we're singularly focused on one particular outcome.
            This may not be your point, but I have wanted to be careful when it comes to impugning anyone's character. I think IB is a good dude. But it takes far more to be a good D1 basketball coach.

I do think there is an element within our fanbase which takes joy in IB's failures because of pre-conceived notions and/or loyalty towards Marshall. I get that. Marshall is a legend that may never be replaced.

IB is a human being and a seemingly very good one at that, and I don't take joy in the fact that he will likely be let go within the next year or two. I think a decent portion of this board takes WAY TOO MUCH joy in the prospect of letting him go and seeing him not succeed to prove themselves right, which is not a great look. IB is a good man put in a tough situation. He is not right for the job, but while I think we should move on from him as head coach (sooner or later), I find it hard to disparage him when it comes to his character and the way he carries himself.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

The amazing thing about all of this banter back and forth is that it would not exist or be necessary at all if this had just been a contract based in reality. Holy Cow! It is mind-numbingly awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

This may not be your point, but I have wanted to be careful when it comes to impugning anyone's character. I think IB is a good dude. But it takes far more to be a good D1 basketball coach.

I do think there is an element within our fanbase which takes joy in IB's failures because of pre-conceived notions and/or loyalty towards Marshall. I get that. Marshall is a legend that may never be replaced.

IB is a human being and a seemingly very good one at that, and I don't take joy in the fact that he will likely be let go within the next year or two. I think a decent portion of this board takes WAY TOO MUCH joy in the prospect of letting him go and seeing him not succeed to prove themselves right, which is not a great look. IB is a good man put in a tough situation. He is not right for the job, but while I think we should move on from him as head coach (sooner or later), I find it hard to disparage him when it comes to his character and the way he carries himself.
                I get what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree that people want him to fail because of some preconceived notions and get joy from it. I do think there were a number of posters on here, myself included, that never liked his hiring, especially without any sort of search done. I think most of us, myself included, hoped it would work out because a bad hire can do so much damage to the program and national perception. But he has been leading things for three years and the red flags that were evident in year one are still there today and we haven't seen much progress anywhere. The simple fact is that we all care about the program and want what's best for it. We wouldn't be here otherwise. It is obvious that he simply isn't the man for the job and I think that makes a lot of people anxious because the longer we continue down this path the worse it gets for the entirety of the program, and that impacts the rest of WSU athletics as well.

I don't think anyone is taking joy in it, or will take joy in IB being fired, outside of the fact that it brings forth a chance for things to be turned around. I also don't think anyone on here has ever questioned IB as a man. I think it's pretty unanimous on this board that he's a genuinely good dude. He will land on his feet. But he never should have been given first chair and he definitely never should have been given the contract he got.

To sum up, there's no joy in him losing his job. But him losing his job will once again bring hope to the program, which will bring forth more optimism and excitement as a whole.

DB getting canned brought some joy. But he's also been a guy that has come off poorly for years and was disliked by many. That's not the case for IB. I don't think anyone has ever doubted who he is outside of his coaching. But his coaching is very much in doubt and to be questioned. And anyone making seven figures to coach is going to be critiqued for their performance. That comes with the money. Personal attacks would be too far in my opinion but you're not seeing that with IB. Everything has been focused on his coaching and lack of improvement in the program.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

For whatever reason, earlier today I went back and re-read the thread where it announced his hiring. I remember only 3 that were not over-joyed by the hiring of which I was one, SubGod22 and shock. I noticed that Sub and Shock only had concerns about his experience. For me, while I notice I didn't congratulate HCIB, I stayed quiet until the contract info was posted and voiced my concerns on the amount and guarantees. I know there were "pressures" to hire IB and "look as good as possible" after all the Marshall crap hit the fan. Yet here we are.

I would have totally supported IB under a different contract. A contract that would have been normal for any coach with that level of experience (or lack of). What has happened was my greatest fear after the settlement to Marshall and the problems with covid regarding butts in seats.

Lastly, I hope we come out gangbusters against Richmond and the win is just the beginning of a big turnaround and sustained improvement.

Comment

I don’t think anyone is attacking him personally at all. Can I see examples of this happening? There’s people saying that he can’t coach, he’s clueless, he’s bland, he lacks fire, etc. Those aren’t character attacks. Those are basketball attacks. You even admit he doesn’t have it and is in over his head.

People gave him chance but could see signs of where this was gonna go. And lo and behold, last year happened. I’m not sure how you’ve thought anybody would hope for failure to be proven right. Why would anybody have that sort of axe to grind? Everybody just wants to win. If IB was bringing NCAA appearances and national relevance every year, nobody would be hoping for anything but continued success.

I think you’re trying to find something that just isn’t there.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I don’t think anyone is attacking him personally at all. Can I see examples of this happening? There’s people saying that he can’t coach, he’s clueless, he’s bland, he lacks fire, etc. Those aren’t character attacks. Those are basketball attacks. You even admit he doesn’t have it and is in over his head.

People gave him chance but could see signs of where this was gonna go. And lo and behold, last year happened. I’m not sure how you’ve thought anybody would hope for failure to be proven right. Why would anybody have that sort of axe to grind? Everybody just wants to win. If IB was bringing NCAA appearances and national relevance every year, nobody would be hoping for anything but continued success.

I think you’re trying to find something that just isn’t there.
                      I agree with this.

And I will just add IB still has a chance to shut us all up this year and prove us wrong. The whole season is left to play.

But I don't think the odds are in his favor.
                      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Pretty much takes someone who is willing to do just the opposite of IB’s character traits. Like lie. cheat, poach, bribe or be part of a machine that does all of that for him.

No wonder FHCGM was wound tight. Look what he was competing against and it only got worse after he left.

Comment

Turtle on a post.jpg

"When you're driving down a country road and you see a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle. You know he didn't get up there by himself. He doesn't belong there; you wonder who put him there; he can't get anything done while he's up there; and you just want to help the poor thing down."

I can't take credit for this, seems like someone has posted this before on the blog. However, we have a couple of answers to the predicament for the poor thing above, and we really just want to help the poor thing out.

Comment

Working...
                          X