2022-23 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Summertime Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    If you are 7’ tall the easiest way to improve is to develop a post game. All you need is four basic moves to repetition the hell out of. Two high, two low. Everything else is instinct such as passing out of a double-you either have it or not.

AAU coaches have ruined the post mentality. I hope they can salvage it with Ballard.
    Jump hook, sky hook, up and under, drop step, kick out and repost...you're exactly right. I think running alley-oops for him will also be productive.

I'll say this, as much as Mo frustrated myself and others, he knew what he was good at when it comes to posting up, and he had some good post moves. He had plenty of limitations, but knew how to accentuate his strengths. I hope QB has a similar understanding.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Hoping for 16-18 wins and between a 5th to 7th. finish in the AAC.. Is this expecting or hoping for too much?
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Just hoping HCIB learned a lot last season and can mold these what looks a lot like some really good athletes into a really good TEAM.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Hot take: if the programs the league added don’t pan out, the league schedule is getting weaker soon. If Isaac Brown can win more than half of the games this year, he can beat up on Rice soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
            Hot take: if the programs the league added don’t pan out, the league schedule is getting weaker soon. If Isaac Brown can win more than half of the games this year, he can beat up on Rice soon.
            I don’t really care too much about the league. We’ve had a taste of being a consistent National Top 50, or better program and that needs to consistently be the goal. If that means we win the league, GREAT. But either way, we are a Top respected program, and we compete with the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
              One could say we haven’t panned out

Comment

In this day and age of complete roster turnover who the hell knows...it's not like these are household names coming from similar programs or accomplished players from good leagues. IMO it's all a crap shoot. Some will work while others just get recycled.

Comment

Henry has a smooth looking stroke…

“He stroke it to the east And he stroke it to the west…”

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

My expectations are that it will be a fun year at the Roundhouse! My buddy and I renewed our season tickets. We will now be at mid court instead of behind the basket. This is a great time to improve your seats if you are still deciding to renew. Go Shocks!

Comment

This team has a lot of potential if they can band together and consistently play good defense and rebound. They seem to have better potential offense. We can expect that the so-called experts will say they are not any good in the preseason. BFD. Talk from these people is cheap and it means nothing.The Shocks always have to prove people wrong. Keep grinding and getting better. Go Shockers.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                        We can expect that the so-called experts will say they are not any good in the preseason. BFD. Talk from these people is cheap and it means nothing.

"The Shocks always have to prove people wrong". Go Shockers.
                        They certainly proved me wrong last year. I thought we'd be good, and competing for a top 3 finish in our league. We weren't even close, ending up 9th or 10th, and losing in the first round of the AAC Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

They certainly proved me wrong last year. I thought we'd be good, and competing for a top 3 finish in our league. We weren't even close, ending up 9th or 10th, and losing in the first round of the AAC Tournament.
                          Yeap and the year before last year they were picked 6th and won the AAC Conference Champoinship and IB was named Coach of the year. So as they say, opinions vary. In my opinion last year group was NOT A TEAM. They were a bunch of spoiled selfish individuals masquerading as a team. And athleticism, skills, and leadership was certainly lacking from that group..And although I do not have any evidence some on this board have implied there was a fight or altercation last year with some of the teammates. In any event I am glad that those players are gone. Time for a new start with players that want a REAL TEAM. Go Shockers.

Comment

Yeap and the year before last year they were picked 6th and won the AAC Conference Champoinship and IB was named Coach of the year. So as they say, opinions vary. In my opinion last year group was NOT A TEAM. They were a bunch of spoiled selfish individuals masquerading as a team. And athleticism, skills, and leadership was certainly lacking from that group..And although I do not have any evidence some on this board have implied there was a fight or altercation last year with some of the teammates. In any event I am glad that those players are gone. Time for a new start with players that want a REAL TEAM. Go Shockers.
                            This! I think IB may be a better coach than what we all think. I don’t think he was a strong enough personality to get last year‘s group to buy in and play as a team. Hopefully that changes this year with more of his own recruits and we will see his coaching ability come through.

Comment

This team has a lot of potential if they can band together and consistently play good defense and rebound. They seem to have better potential offense. We can expect that the so-called experts will say they are not any good in the preseason. BFD. Talk from these people is cheap and it means nothing.The Shocks always have to prove people wrong. Keep grinding and getting better. Go Shockers.
                              It is not so much "they are not any good" as it is an unknown quantity. The higher the overall "ratings" of individual players, the better the potential for success just as the reverse is generally true. Same goes for player experience and coaching experience. Last year's players had experience, and many had played with one another previously. Yet, it didn't materialize as well as expected.

Look at it this way: From the way we played last year, a lot of new blood could be a very good thing. However, all new chemistry with so many players having new coaches to learn from can take time to develop. Maybe quickly, maybe slowly.

I feel much better about the Shockers now that we have another true PG on the roster. I feel their chances of not being a bottom 3rd team to a middle 3rd team in conference is improved. I'm all for a top 3rd in conference, but there are just too many unknowns to make it likely.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

This! I think IB may be a better coach than what we all think. I don’t think he was a strong enough personality to get last year‘s group to buy in and play as a team. Hopefully that changes this year with more of his own recruits and we will see his coaching ability come through.
                                Not sure this makes for a good coach IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X