2022-23 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Summertime Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Sounds like a kid Gregg Marshall would love!!
    Why single out Gregg? Anybody with a pulse should love this kid.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Why single out Gregg? Anybody with a pulse should love this kid.
      Obviously! Duh. Just sounds like a defensively minded, tough nose GM type of kid.

Comment

Gus?
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Nice Paul Suellentrop Roundhouse report (post-TBT) on Gus Okafor

https://goshockers.com/news/2022/8/2...-blessing.aspx

Gus Okafor watched the AfterShocks and didn't focus on the Conner Frankamp jump shots, the Markis McDuffie dunk or the Elam Ending.

Okafor, a newcomer on Wichita State's basketball roster, watched the AfterShocks play defense. He saw them bust through screens, harass ball-handlers and contest shots.

He saw the links between the way those former Shockers play and summer practices. He loved how the Koch Arena crowd cheered defensive stops and hustle.

"The first thing it sparked in my mind was the way that the AfterShocks are connected on defense," he said. "And how the crowd, they don't react to scoring, really. They react to toughness - toughness plays like blocks, getting on the floor, getting a jump ball. Toughness stuff."

Okafor, a 6-foot-6 senior forward from Baltimore, wants to be one of the Shockers who inspires that reaction from fans this winter.

"That's stuff I'm good at," he said. "Shocker fans are going to love me."

Okafor, a transfer from Southeastern Louisiana, approaches his time as a Shocker in this serious manner in part because of his background. He spent around two years in a family shelter in Washington, D.C., with his mother and two siblings around the ages of 5-7.

That time living in small apartments, he said, makes him appreciate the life of an NCAA Division I athlete. His focus is on improving his skills and his conditioning, not on the amenities of college athletics.

"Living on your own is a blessing to me," he said. "Being able to go to school is a blessing."

Okafor came to Wichita State in June weighing 241 pounds and is down to 227. Over the summer, he worked to increase his agility and move quickly, so he can guard big and small opponents. He worked on his durability, so he can play big minutes without wearing down.

"Gus has a very pro mindset and approach to his physical preparation," said Ryan Horn, head strength and conditioning coach. "He sees it. He feels it. He posts videos on Instagram dunking. He's getting off the floor easier. He's changing directions better. He feels more productive on the floor, because he's working on those things."

"He's a tough kid who plays like his hair is on fire all the time," Brown said. "He can play multiple positions on offense. He can really shoot. He's one of those guys you can isolate, and he can score."
          I think this kid plus Jaykwon Walker (and Ricks) could give the Shocks an improved rotation at the forward spot. Maybe greatly improved...

Comment

I think we go .500 in conference play.

Comment

4th place conference, 20+ wins

Comment

My thoughts really haven't changed. No more than 18 wins, and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't eclipse 15. No better than 7th in conference and I think that's my optimistic finish.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  My thoughts really haven't changed. No more than 18 wins, and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't eclipse 15. No better than 7th in conference and I think that's my optimistic finish.
                  Nobody likes a Pollyanna!

Comment

I can't figure out what expectations should be. I guess I'd be happy with feisty defense, some semblance of an offensive with sets, and consistent (even if slow) improvement over the year. Even that feels like a lot to ask from so many newcomers, but here's to hoping!

edit: and I hope for a solid crowd. Just heard some of my immediate family gave up season tickets for the first time since I've been old enough to understand shocker basketball was a thing, which was eye opening for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
                      I can't figure out what expectations should be. I guess I'd be happy with feisty defense, some semblance of an offensive with sets, and consistent (even if slow) improvement over the year. Even that feels like a lot to ask from so many newcomers, but here's to hoping!
                      Maybe I'm getting greedy, but I'd also like to see guys make open 3s. The offensive sets look a lot better when the shooters can hit above 30% from deep (and it opens up the paint).

Comment

If you are 7’ tall the easiest way to improve is to develop a post game. All you need is four basic moves to repetition the hell out of. Two high, two low. Everything else is instinct such as passing out of a double-you either have it or not.

AAU coaches have ruined the post mentality. I hope they can salvage it with Ballard.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Maybe I'm getting greedy, but I'd also like to see guys make open 3s. The offensive sets look a lot better when the shooters can hit above 30% from deep (and it opens up the paint).
                          You are greedy.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

You are greedy.
                            Paging WstateU for a Gordon Gekko gif

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              If you are 7’ tall the easiest way to improve is to develop a post game. All you need is four basic moves to repetition the hell out of. Two high, two low. Everything else is instinct such as passing out of a double-you either have it or not.

AAU coaches have ruined the post mentality. I hope they can salvage it with Ballard.
                              he seems like a guy that knows he's not a perimeter player

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

Paging WstateU for a Gordon Gekko gif
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X