Who's Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

They get one free transfer. After that, they have to sit a year unless they get a waiver, which is why we are in wait and see mode for Rogers.

I'm going to guess that with the one freebie, waivers won't be as easy to come by, but you never know with the NCAA.
    they need to eliminate the waivers, it just opens up a huge can of worms. The free transfer should allow everyone a free do-over. After that, you start losing court time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

they need to eliminate the waivers, it just opens up a huge can of worms. The free transfer should allow everyone a free do-over. After that, you start losing court time.
      I agree with this. Maybe there is room for a few exceptions, but one free transfer should be sufficient for 99% of players. That being said, the rule should be changed only after Colby Rogers gets his waiver approved.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

I'd still be willing to make exceptions for the more extreme circumstances like family illness or something. But the waivers would really need to be specific to something like that. None of this wanting to be closer to home and then picking a school that's still 1000 miles away from home. If you aren't within maybe 200 miles, maybe less, something like that should simply be laughed at.

But I don't have a major issue with the one free transfer. Mistakes happen.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Just curious what you base all of this on? Defensive freak? Not sure about that. Not saying he's not but there is a VERY limited D1 sample size to go from. He average 4 minutes per game in two seasons at FSU and a walk on was favored over him at times. He had 17 blocks in 36 games played. You absolutely cannot say based on this that he "controls the paint".

Let me have a little bit of unbridled optimism without the cold shower please!!!! I watched five minutes of one practice and have chosen to base all my opinions off that small sample size.

Comment

Originally posted by Regul8te View Post
            Think Ballard might be getting sold a little short with these guesses. A 7’ defensive freak who can catch lobs and clean up things around the basket on both ends will find his way onto the court quickly.

I’d rather have a 5 who controls the paint than one who gets pushed around but can shoot 3s at a mediocre clip.

It just depends on how much Pohto has improved and how quickly (or slowly) Ballard picks up the system.

With all that said, Rojas will probably start at center and I’ll lose my mind.
            You do know that Rojas is listed as 6'6" on the Shocker Roster. There are 6 guys on the roster listed as taller along with Okafor and walk-on Thengvall at the same height. Now, height isn't everything, but if guys 7', 6'11", and 2 at 6'9" can't beat him out, this could be a very long season.

Comment

Rojas should be 3rd option at center.

Comment

I'd still be willing to make exceptions for the more extreme circumstances like family illness or something. But the waivers would really need to be specific to something like that. None of this wanting to be closer to home and then picking a school that's still 1000 miles away from home. If you aren't within maybe 200 miles, maybe less, something like that should simply be laughed at.

But I don't have a major issue with the one free transfer. Mistakes happen.
                I kinda feel that if you need to transfer a second time, you need to put in writing why THAT school meets your specific needs over EVERY OTHER SCHOOL. Then you need to sit and take care of those off court hardships before continuing your collegiate career.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Well, if he gets 20 minutes per game that translates to 2.5 bpg.
                  He will not average 2.5 blocks per game this season. You cannot just unilaterally make that connection with respect to blocks. Also, if he is playing 20 minutes a game at center then Lord help us.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

He will not average 2.5 blocks per game this season. You cannot just unilaterally make that connection with respect to blocks. Also, if he is playing 20 minutes a game at center then Lord help us.
                    Is he so bad that he can only get 4 mpg or is it that he hasn’t shown any statistical defensive prowess? Based on the info you presented, I would accept one or the other, but not both.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Is he so bad that he can only get 4 mpg or is it that he hasn’t shown any statistical defensive prowess? Based on the info you presented, I would accept one or the other, but not both.
                      I could see him getting 8-10 minutes per game. I hope I am totally wrong and he is the next coming of Dikembe Mutombo

Comment

Did porter get a haircut??
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

And it was interesting watching the pro footwork. Some are really active. One looks like he is wearing concrete blocks. Lazy, and was allowing easy access to the basket.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Honestly this is a damn good reason to sponsor a solid TBT team every year. These scrimmages are worth their weight in gold (which makes no sense in this context, but you know what I mean).
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

It definitely doesn't hurt. I know we used to get excited when we knew someone like Paul Miller was going to be in town because he'd get to educate the young bigs. Same when Stutz was the overseas pro that would come back. Having a full team of professionals to push them can't hurt. We still need to remember these are pickup games and as such, have flaws when it comes to evaluation, but there's not doubt that there are things for them to be taught from the guys coming back and I'm sure they're happy to help them out.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

We still need to remember these are pickup games and as such, have flaws when it comes to evaluation, but there's not doubt that there are things for them to be taught from the guys coming back and I'm sure they're happy to help them out.
                                Scrimmaging against pros gets the juices flowing and motivates the men to dig in and work harder (faster and more physical while trying to prove a point). Really good stuff, to have these former Shockers (and their friends) come back as a squad and push our team before the real work begins.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X