No announcement yet.

MVC shake up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously? The MVC needs more quality programs like CU, not less. It is in the best interest of WSU to be competing against quality opponents once league play begins each season. You can play a great non-con schedule and have it voided if you play scrub schools with bad RPIs in the conference. Like it or not, Creighton is important to the Valley. It's not like the big 12 where you can lose Mizzou and not miss a beat in quality members. The Valley without Creighton becomes a perennial one bid league.
    "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

I get a little tired of people assuming that the A-10 is off limits because of the public/private thing. I would bet 95% of posters here are unaware that George Mason, one of the three most widely speculated members-to-be, is a public school. So is current member Temple. And, of course, URI and UMass.

Yes, the league is roughly 3/4 private schools. But they ARE actively seeking out other public universities as members.

Comment

I know its been talked about alot but why not be pro active and add Slu Butler VCU and GMU to the mo valley and split the league into east west divisions. It would beat the hell out of travel to the east except for specific games with the other division. St louis or Indianapolis can host the mo valley tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
          I know its been talked about alot but why not be pro active and add Slu Butler VCU and GMU to the mo valley and split the league into east west divisions. It would beat the hell out of travel to the east except for specific games with the other division. St louis or Indianapolis can host the mo valley tournament.
          I think there would be spontaneous parades and cheering in the street if this happened. But our league's leadership is, ahem, lacking.

Comment

How do you know they haven't asked those schools and been told, "not just no, but heck no!"? I don't see any compelling reasons for VCU or GMU to join the Valley. I think it is safe to say that SLU is not interested.

Comment

This thread is getting out of hand. SLU isn't coming, Butler isn't coming and it has nothing to do with Elgin. (not a fan of Elgin but it isn't his fault).

Comment

Now there's a concept I could get on board with....some big super conference with an east and west division. Send a couple (at least...hello Evansville) of dead weights back to Horizon etc and pick the best of the others interested in the same.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                  I get a little tired of people assuming that the A-10 is off limits because of the public/private thing. I would bet 95% of posters here are unaware that George Mason, one of the three most widely speculated members-to-be, is a public school. So is current member Temple. And, of course, URI and UMass.

Yes, the league is roughly 3/4 private schools. But they ARE actively seeking out other public universities as members.
                  GMU and VCU are both public universities, not just GMU. In fact, outside of residing in much more populated areas, they have some real similarities with WSU.

Comment

WSU is searching for a new president. I do not expect anything to happen until July (at the earliest).
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                      WSU is searching for a new president. I do not expect anything to happen until July (at the earliest).
                      Agreed- lots riding on this. Pray to god it's someone with vision and not a ninny who embraces a low spot on the totem pole.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                        Agreed- lots riding on this. Pray to god it's someone with vision and not a ninny who embraces a low spot on the totem pole.
                        Wait a minute, there. Are you saying you don't want me? :)
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          Now there's a concept I could get on board with....some big super conference with an east and west division.
                          That is sort of what I had in mind with the A10. It will take an east/west divisional format for it to really work and I think that is what might happen.

If there is an occasional trip to Philly, DC, or NY included, isn't there a way to leverage that for recruiting?

Comment

I think WSU and Creighton joining the A10 together would be best for everyone. Except the rest of the MVC.

I don't think we'll be invited, though. And I think the travel costs might be prohibitive even if we are.

Which is sad. Without Creighton, the MVC is a far weaker league. Without both schools, it's almost dead.

There's a lot of good basketball in the MVC, but it's still "that tiny little midwest league" to most of the basketball world. I have trouble even explaining who Wichita State is to other college basketball fans, let alone the MVC. Joining the A10 is instant credibility. The MVC could be credible to, but it would require expansion of strong teams that don't seem to be an option.

There's not a lot of options for us, really. Even if we started a football program now, it'd be 20 years until it was financially and competitively viable. Most leagues we could geographically go to require football. The A10 fits our basketball team the best, but doesn't fit geographically or academically. There's the CUSA/MWC, but I don't know what's going on there.
                            Originally posted by BleacherReport
                            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

I've heard more talk of the A10 looking to Detroit or Loyola (Chicago) then I've hear GMU or VCU.

As of this very instant, they have 4 public schools. Temple, UMass, Charlotte and Rhode Island. Temple is leaving for the Big East. UMass is said to be heading to the MAC as soon as they decide to expand. Charlotte I believe has received an invite to the Sun Belt and will most likely accept it. They will have ONE public school who has actually been rumored to maybe leave for I believe the American East. Not sure if that will happen or not. But I still don't think they'll add a public, and that includes GMU and VCU. Not sure if GMU or VCU would be interested anyway. And if VCU is adding football, as has been reported, the A10 doesn't make much sense.

More likely members for the A10 are Creighton, Detroit, Loyola, Drexel, Boston, Hofstra, Iona or Manhattan. This is all assuming Butler is already on board.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

@DoubleJayAlum:, what are you thinking for the "west" division? And I have no problem at all with 2-4 trips a year back east and in fact would even relish the opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                                X