No announcement yet.

MVC shake up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would appear to me that it would be highly advantageous for WSU and Creighton both to be in any present or future conference make-up. In addition to the "rivalry" we would very likely be the closest or near closest schools to each other in whatever conference we joined.

If either we or CU leave, the MVC completely looses whatever luster it presently has managed to barely hold onto throughout its downward declining years.

If CU leaves, and we stay - Hell, I don't even want to go there!

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
      CU's budget is already $1.4 million more than the second highest budget in the A10. .
      This isn't a rental slam or anything else. What does CU pay in rent a year to the centurylink? Only reason I ask is that I believe UD/SLU/X all own their own buildings and if you factor that in then those 3 might be a little closer in MBB expenses.

Comment

I believe Missouri State should be part of this discussion also.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          They have football. The A10 is looking for non FB schools to replace the Fb schools that have left/are leaving (Temple, Charlotte and potentially UMass).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
            In my opinion, I don't see WSU going to the A-10 because of the previously discussed notion of them all being private schools. I would hate to see Creighton leave because it's harder to hate them in a different conference. It's all about rivalry.

In the end, who knows what will happen in the next 1-4 years...
            The A10 isn't made up of all private schools, although they are certainly a majority. For example, UMass is public.

Comment

DoubleJay,

Roughly what does CU pay a year in rent, thanks.

Again this isn't a knock, etc. Just trying to figure out how much of their MBB expenses go to rent.

Comment

The A10 isn't made up of all private schools, although they are certainly a majority. For example, UMass is public.
                And UMass and Charlotte will be leaving and be replaced by a private school. That would leave only Rhode Island, but I don't see them growing the number of publics. I would love to join the A10 with Creighton. But I think Creighton will be going alone.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

We are a very poor fit for the A-10 both in culture and geography. CU should make the move if they can. Our last hope is the Alliance or to get into CUSA with Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, etc as a basketball first school depending on what happens with that mess. Long shot at best...I think it is safe to say that NDSU and SDSU better are the future of the MVC.

Comment

A thorny problem, indeed.
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                      I have lingering doubts as to the ability of MSU to adequately fund athletics to the degree it would need to do so to be competitive at any level higher than the Valley. That can be said about many Valley schools, so I think only CU and WSU would be attractive for higher profile conferences. If we bring an ugly sister to the prom, don't expect anyone to want to dance with us.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Any thouhts @WuDrWu:?

Thoughts about what? On CU leaving the Valley? Just curious what you're looking for.....

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          Thoughts about what? On CU leaving the Valley? Just curious what you're looking for.....
                          WSU's interest level in a move to the A10. Would travel costs for the Olympic sports make it prohibitive? Other concerns?

Comment

My thoughts probably collide with many on here. First, I'd dearly love to get out of the Valley. That being said, is the A-10 better? It gets a lot better national coverage, from where I sit.

I am not informed enough to speak to the strengths and financial viability of the other A-10 schools. Maybe they're all weak. Where would the A-10 tourney be? I suspect a lot further away than St. Louis. I doubt WSU and CU fans would travel as well to, say for instance, Atlantic City.

@ABC: makes the great point about the so called Olympic sports. Mostly you're just traveling to 1 conference event per year. Is it that big a deal if it's to Rhode Island or Indiana? I don't think so. Baseball would be a major problem, for both WSU and CU, but then I've been clamoring for WSU to beg, borrow, plead or steal to get into the Big 12 in baseball, to no avail.

What monies do the A-10 receive from TV and their tourney? Obviously travel costs are going to expand with the closest schools being St. Louis and Ohio. There will almost no traveling to away games unless you can manage to sneak onto the charter once in a while.

I think it makes more sense for CU (although we share most of the same concerns) than it does for WSU. I just don't see it. We're just so up against the 8 ball, geographically speaking, it's not even funny.

I'd hope we'd at least listen if the A-10 was interested, but somehow I don't think that call is being made anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Zardoz View Post
                              I would hate to lose sCUm but it would be great to dump UE.
                              It would be great to lose the sCUm who cares?
                              An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

If Creighton and us were both invited I think we'd jump all over it. The Valley without Creighton is taking a big hit. The Valley without us would take a big hit.

We won't be getting an invite though. So we're stuck.

Elgin would then go after either ORU or Little Rock I'm sure. Or he'd be really stupid and invite the XDSUs in along with UNO or UMKC.

Creighton will leave. Probably in the next 5 years. Not a lot of attractive replacements.

This all makes me ill the more I think about it.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X