MVC shake up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC shake up?

Did anyone notice the story on A-10 expansion on CBS sports? Looks like VCU, George Mason and Butler may be looking to make the switch. It appears that they may have some interest in Creighton too. Evansville could possibly be asked to take Butler's spot in the Horizon. Potential MVC implications? http://www.cbssports.com/general/blo...in-atlantic-10
    "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

it seems to be hard enough in the MVC as it is. I hope WSU isn't left behind. But I would think this would be a consideration of Marshall's. If he is comfortable in positioning WSU basketball for national success, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, (just hope options are in play.)
    Phi Alpha

Comment

In the time I've followed WSU, the MVC went from the #1 basketball conference in the nation to losing some of the premier programs (Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis) and replacing them with a bunch of schools that just moved from a lower division (IlSU, MSU, UE, and on and on). The MVC has been in a constant downgrade mode for 30-40 years.

I don't know if WSU really has any options, but the MVC has been one of the most poorly administered conferences for a very long time. The FCS football schools in the Valley are so broke that their continued competitiveness in BB has to be questioned. MSU seems to have a budget in the range of $300K - maybe $400K for their basketball coach. SIU couldn't afford to fire theirs. UNI has threatened to drop athletics if the State of Iowa cuts off their annual $4 mill+ contribution to UNI athletics.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

My thoughts too. As much as I love to hate Creighton they are definately an important part of this conference. Them leaving could certainly put WSU in a tough spot as the top school in a one-bid league.
        "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Originally posted by jpshocker View Post
          Did anyone notice the story on A-10 expansion on CBS sports? Looks like VCU, George Mason and Butler may be looking to make the switch. It appears that they may have some interest in Creighton too. Evansville could possibly be asked to take Butler's spot in the Horizon. Potential MVC implications? http://www.cbssports.com/general/blo...in-atlantic-10
          Wait, you're saying someone will take Evansville??? Hope this happens soon.

Comment

I would hate to lose sCUm but it would be great to dump UE.

Comment

sCUm would turn into the A-10's Evansville.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Enjoy making long trips to see WSU play if they join A-10

Comment

I'am not worried, Are you worried ? You can sleep well tonight.

Comment

In a perfect world this is the conference WSU should be in...all MW schools most w/o D1 FB.

Marquette
                    St Louis
                    De Paul
                    Creighton
                    Butler
                    Ill St
                    SIU
                    MO.St
                    Bradley
                    Drake
                    WSU

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      sCUm would turn into the A-10's Evansville.
                      Possibly, but I sincerely doubt it. CU's budget is already $1.4 million more than the second highest budget in the A10. Further, CU's attendance is substantially greater than all of the other A10 schools. The jump would also open up a whole new recruiting area for us in a hotbed of talent.

If you go back a couple a months, I started a thread discussing a move by Creighton and WSU to the A10 (I had a bit of an inkling where things were headed). It started a decent discussion until a certain WSU poster residing in Omaha complained about "another realignment thread" and discussion deteriorated. My question at the time was whether WSU would have any interest in such a move in light of the fact that travel would be incredibly expensive and the A10 is mostly made up of private schools. I'd still like to hear what WSU supporters would think of such a move.

Comment

I'm not sold that GMU and VCU are really interested in the A10. Especially if VCU is planning to add football in the near future. Creighton is a little farther West than the A10 would like to go, but they'd be smart to invite them and Creighton would jump on it in a heartbeat. When that happens, the Valley takes a huge hit. This has been discussed to some degree in the Conference Shakeup 2.0 Thread.

Our options are poor. The A10 is essentially a bunch of private schools and that's not going to change. If the MWC/CUSA merger doesn't happen, I don't see either taking a nonfootball member. If they do merge, I'm still not sold that they'd take a nonfootball member.

The only real hope at this point is the addition of football, which we've talked about numerous times, or hope and pray that there's a massive conference explosion and a major regrouping based on more regional factors. Both seem like very long shots.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
                          Possibly, but I sincerely doubt it. CU's budget is already $1.4 million more than the second highest budget in the A10. Further, CU's attendance is substantially greater than all of the other A10 schools. The jump would also open up a whole new recruiting area for us in a hotbed of talent.

If you go back a couple a months, I started a thread discussing a move by Creighton and WSU to the A10 (I had a bit of an inkling where things were headed). It started a decent discussion until a certain WSU poster residing in Omaha complained about "another realignment thread" and discussion deteriorated. My question at the time was whether WSU would have any interest in such a move in light of the fact that travel would be incredibly expensive and the A10 is mostly made up of private schools. I'd still like to hear what WSU supporters would think of such a move.
                          I don't think anyone but Fever thinks that.

I believe that WSU would be interested in this. If the A-10 expanded that much, there would have to be divisions which would help out with travel. For sports like golf and track, would it really be any different than it is now? It seems that WSU rarely competes against other MVC teams until the conference championship tournaments/meets. For basketball it wouldn't matter since the team flies to every game.

Being the southern most school in a conference, as we are now, is a big help in all of the outdoor sports.

Comment

Any thouhts @WuDrWu:?

Comment

In my opinion, I don't see WSU going to the A-10 because of the previously discussed notion of them all being private schools. I would hate to see Creighton leave because it's harder to hate them in a different conference. It's all about rivalry.

In the end, who knows what will happen in the next 1-4 years...

Comment

Working...
                              X