The Next AD - A Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Well, in his defense it is only part of a full sentence. The full sentence goes something like... "they can't figure out how to tear down Cessna without damaging Koch Arena, absent spending an obscene, eye-watering sum of cash."

Structures can go down the same way they went up, it is just painful on the pocketbook.
    I have heard around 2 mil but that was before inflation started hammering us.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I have heard around 2 mil but that was before inflation started hammering us.
      Back in April 2020, WSU told KBOR it would cost $1.4 million to tear down both stands and KBOR approved it (https://www.wichita.edu/about/public...na_stadium.php, https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Wi...569661051.html). They told KBOR it would be covered by private funds and restricted fee funds. I wonder if they would have to ask KBOR again if the cost took a big jump over the initial plan.
      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

All it will cost is three beers a piece for each co-worker.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

If the only consideration is basketball, maybe, maybe not
          From an academic standpoint it's much better as well.

The media deal is insanely better too.

in what ways is it not?
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I'm not sure if the search dollar amount has been discussed in the thread, but according to KMUW, it'll be 70K plus expenses - https://twitter.com/KMUW/status/1527748535931785216?

From the article - https://www.kmuw.org/news/2022-05-20...letic-director

The athletic association will also have to pay for advertising, travel for candidates and other additional expenses not included in the $70,000 search fee.

“(Parker Executive Search) shall make every effort to hold Expenses to a minimum and estimates that its Expenses will be no more than twelve percent (12%) of the Search Fee,” the contract states.

Senior Associate Director of Athletics for Business Operations Rege Klitzke said that the association would pay for the search through its own funds. Those funds don’t come from public dollars and are generated through ticket sales, advertising, donations and other avenues.
            Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

From an academic standpoint it's much better as well.

The media deal is insanely better too.

in what ways is it not?
              Tarleton State vs ISUr? Not even a debate?

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                I’m concerned about WSU because they can’t seem to find it in themselves to trust any president since Bardo. It’s going to be pretty hard to get anything done if they can’t trust a president. And considering we don’t have football I will never understand their obsession with the AAC

You obviously were NOT listening to President Bardo when he talked about the importance of recruiting students along the I-35 Corridor - as vital to Wichita State's institutional future.

Presidents take a much broader view of Conference affiliation.

The AAC is the perfect neighborhood for Wichita State's vision as an institution. If you consult U.S. News, you'll see Wichita State's peers.

It's also a damn good league for athletics with a television deal that is only surpassed by the P5. The AAC's ESPN deal is worlds better (in exposure and access to viewership - and revenue too) than every league outside of the P5. (And its not close)

Besides the AAC's accomplishments in FB and MBB (Final Fours and Big Bowl wins), it's also in that top group in the Olympic sports (softball, baseball, etc).

It's amazing how some folks can't see the forest through the trees. I KNOW why that insider was looking at you like you were speaking Chinese...

Is it inconvenient to build back some of the basketball strength? Sure. However, the resource piece is the most important part of that puzzle and its in place in the American. Schools like Tulane (and SMU) are landing dudes right now. Others will step up as well (including the Shox).

The American Athletic Conference

US News Rankings:

Rice — 17th (AAU; R1 doctoral research university)

Tulane — 42nd (AAU; R1 doctoral research university)

SMU — 68th (R2 doctoral research university)

Temple — 103rd (R1 doctoral research university)

South Florida — 103rd (R1 doctoral research university)

Tulsa — 136th (R2 doctoral research university)

UAB — 148th (R1 doctoral research university)

East Carolina — 213th (R2 doctoral research university)

Charlotte — 227th (R2 doctoral research university)

Memphis — 249th (R1 doctoral research university)

Florida Atlantic — 277th (R2 doctoral research university)

North Texas — 277th (R1 doctoral research university)

UTSA — 299th (R1 doctoral research university)

Navy — N/A (ranked #6, nationally, among liberal arts colleges)

Wichita State — 299th (R2 doctoral research university)

* There are two AAU universities and eight R1 Universities in the AAC (UAB, Memphis, North Texas, Rice, South Florida, Temple, Tulane, & UTSA).
                Last edited by StunningSteve; May 22, 2022, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Tarleton State?

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Tarleton State?
                    I wondered the same thing…

Comment

You're right, it's not even a debate because Tarleton State has nothing to do with either conference as they're a member of the WAC.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

You're right, it's not even a debate because Tarleton State has nothing to do with either conference as they're a member of the WAC.
                        Cannot explain it......UTSA

Comment

Cannot explain it......UTSA
                          You mean the school that built a top 25 football program from scratch in under a decade and has the means and will to invest in basketball now that that's established? The school that is also located in a state we recruit students and athletes at a higher rate? The urban based research institution instead of whatever ISU is?

UTSA is going to improve. And the top of the AAC is still quite a bit better than the MVC. I'll take SMU, Memphis, UAB, North Texas over UNI, Murray State, ISU and SWOMO.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Of the new members, Rice is the school, I'm least sure will build up a strong athletic program.

Comment

• UTSA is a feeder school to UT Austin. They have a deal to take all kids (along with UT Arlington), that didn’t qualify for UT straight out of HS. UT (and to a slightly lesser extent, TAMU), get an enormous amount of applications every year. Many of the kids that go to UTSA end up staying there. It’s going to emerge as a very strong school over the next 10-15 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                                Of the new members, Rice is the school, I'm least sure will build up a strong athletic program.
                                Rice has been a traditional power in baseball. Normally has decent football as far as a non-power 5 goes. Basketball ....... (Not sure they even put a team on the floor)

Comment

Working...
                                X