The Next AD - A Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did Pracht work under Schaus?

Edit: Oh, right here at WSU. Interesting.

Edit: Edit: He graduated from Emporia State, maybe has strong family ties to Kansas, which would be a good thing.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
      Of that list, I think Pracht seems like the one I would pursue:

Think what you want about ND, but you can’t deny there success of building a national brand and loyal fan base. Something that WSU is in danger of losing if current trends continue.

You also have to respect that they still place emphasis on the STUDENT part of student-athlete. A lost belief in a majority of major college athletics.

Lastly, their independent spirit is something I think WSU shares in common. Back in the early days of ND football, they kept trying to join what would become the B10, but UofM kept blocking them; they even tried to stop other B10 schools from event playing them. ND eventually, said “fine. You don’t want us, we’ll succeed without out and we will go anywhere and everywhere to do so.” That football independence mindset still lives on today. WSU seemed to have to do the same thing in basketball for a long time. It seems they have gotten fat and lazy since joining the AAC. Would be nice to get some of that back.
      Some of this is also why Harrity intrigues me. He spent time at ND before going to Army. There's just a different level of mindset at institutions like that.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Without meeting them, all we are going off of is what is on paper. It would be nice to get another personality like a Schaus, and Pracht would seem to know how to make the Shocker donor base tick. However, to play devil's advocate, if he has higher goals for a larger school, would he be more likely to want a job at a school who has football?

However, his resume sounds great, and would be #1 on my list from what we know.

It's hard to tell where Taylor came up with this list. He could have a pathway to visit with someone in the "know", or this could just be a list he put together. One last thing, of this list, less enamored by #4, and #5 too.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Cleveland State does have both men and women’s soccer. They also have fencing (privacy and chain link) and swimming and diving.
          I was under the impression that chain link was a club sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            Surprised there is no female on the list. I am not saying that is right, wrong or neither but just thought it would happen.
            This is Taylor's list of people with Wichita or Kansas connections. I'm not sure if he's received any info from those inside the search or if this is just all his doing. I too would be shocked if there wasn't a female or some other minority status candidate, but that also doesn't guarantee that you make the finals of such a search.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I was under the impression that chain link was a club sport.
              Club Fed.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Weren’t we mad that WSU made too many local or family hires? It’s ok to think or get somebody outside of the Kansas box. As long as they know what they’re doing. Candidates shouldn’t be weighed based on contact or ties to WSU. Did Jim Schaus have any ties to WSU or Wichita before he was hired?

I want the BEST possible candidate no matter where they came from.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Weren’t we mad that WSU made too many local or family hires? It’s ok to think or get somebody outside of the Kansas box. As long as they know what they’re doing. Candidates shouldn’t be weighed based on contact or ties to WSU. Did Jim Schaus have any ties to WSU or Wichita before he was hired?

Agreed. I don't remember that stud former coach having any Kansas ties. He did alright.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    Weren’t we mad that WSU made too many local or family hires? It’s ok to think or get somebody outside of the Kansas box. As long as they know what they’re doing. Candidates shouldn’t be weighed based on contact or ties to WSU. Did Jim Schaus have any ties to WSU or Wichita before he was hired?

This is the exact point I thought about, but you put it in better words.

We've made hiring mistakes way too many times with current WSU employees; why shouldn't we expand our pool?

As much as we crap on Turgeon, he elevated the program to a point where it hadn't been in years, and gave us cache that allowed us to hire Marshall in 2007. Why would I care that he played for KU?

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

I don't have intimate knowledge of what does and doesn't happen. If possible, would you give some examples of how the MVC mentality behavior has played out?
                      I appreciate the question, but I can't without fear of starting a witch hunt and that I will not do. I'm not too proud to admit that on two occasions in my life I offered my resignation because I believed the entity needed new blood and new ideas, something I was either incapable of doing or willing to do. There isn't one person I know there that isn't a good person. That does not mean there isn't room for improvement and many of the good folks there have been there since the Valley days. I'm not even saying it's a fault, but if it's a mentality, then it's a mentality that must change. And we need someone that can identify, correct, re-direct or replace....and is also willing to do. I disagree with any work place where folks are basically employed for life as long as they don't break the law. Expectations must be higher. And I'm asking for nothing that I don't ask from myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I appreciate the question, but I can't without fear of starting a witch hunt and that I will not do. I'm not too proud to admit that on two occasions in my life I offered my resignation because I believed the entity needed new blood and new ideas, something I was either incapable of doing or willing to do. There isn't one person I know there that isn't a good person. That does not mean there isn't room for improvement and many of the good folks there have been there since the Valley days. I'm not even saying it's a fault, but if it's a mentality, then it's a mentality that must change. And we need someone that can identify, correct, re-direct or replace....and is also willing to do. I disagree with any work place where folks are basically employed for life as long as they don't break the law. Expectations must be higher. And I'm asking for nothing that I don't ask from myself.
                        I am very far from an executive, but one thing I do know when it comes to issues like this is that if you are looking to change the mentality, you have to quickly identify who can and who can't. Sometimes, that may mean turning loose some folks who can because you don't want to end up with anyone who can't. That's a part of the calculus, and some folks may not like it.

Hell, it happened at WSU when Bardo became President. He pissed off a lot of people, and while some of them would have gotten on board, some of them wouldn't have.

Comment

• Is this TE's list or is this an actual list? If this is a realistic list, then Garrett or Pracht would be my choices. No way in hell on Lester. KU honk through and through. Hard pass.

Comment

• Had a personal bad run-in at an airport with Lester. Let's just say 15 years ago he didn't think much of WSU. Arrogant little ***** to say the least. I'll have to see if I can dig that post up from the archives.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                              Had a personal bad run-in at an airport with Lester. Let's just say 15 years ago he didn't think much of WSU. Arrogant little ***** to say the least. I'll have to see if I can dig that post up from the archives.
                              Ya. Eff that guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                                Had a personal bad run-in at an airport with Lester. Let's just say 15 years ago he didn't think much of WSU. Arrogant little ***** to say the least. I'll have to see if I can dig that post up from the archives.
                                I believe he's universally disliked on this board as an option.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X