No announcement yet.

The Next AD - A Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's saying all the right things. Lets see if he can follow through.

“First off, we’ve got to have a first-class game production and home environment,” Saal said. “I tell my staff here all the time, ‘Don’t be afraid to make mistakes when it comes to in-game production.’ We’re going to throw a lot of stuff at the wall. Some of it will stick and some of it won’t. We’ll take the stuff that does and we will absolutely accentuate it and over the course of time, as we improve daily, we’ll arrive at something very special.
    He must have read the game threads before being interviewed lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He's saying all the right things. Lets see if he can follow through.

He must have read the game threads before being interviewed lol
      Dude has me excited. I know they're just words right now, but the man is hitting some home runs with them.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Dude has me excited. I know they're just words right now, but the man is hitting some home runs with them.
        Yup, TBH .. i really don't think it is going to take much .. just ACTIVE leadership. He seems to have that in droves.

He hit on a lot of key things:
        • Having an actual plan for donors - I like his "menu" concept for those that want to help without just putting money into the black box
        • Being VISIBLE in the community. Help drive the message of the success of our student athletes
        • Facilties plan - specficially mentioning MBB weight room and upgrades for the softball field
        • Improving in game production to drive up ticket sales
        • Make sure we are spending comparable to our peers to drive for championships
        • Working with NIL collectives vs fighting them.
        TBH all of those are basic things that have been missing under the former AD.

Comment

• Agreed. The hands on, active approach to recruiting and being an asset was also very intriguing.

Also liked his talk about sitting down and establishing expectations and going over every aspect of each programs budget to see what's lacking or maybe being spent poorly and figuring out the best use of dollars available and how to improve all of that.

It also seem apparent that he's not going to forget the non-revenue sports in all of this. Some schools have a narrow focus and just roll with the rest. He knows basketball is king, but seems to have a passion about making the other programs championship contenders and making us a top 100 program overall, which we apparently haven't been.

And while he didn't say it, I get the sense that he won't hesitate to move on from coaches that don't produce. He is going to set expectations high and if you're not achieving or building towards it, he's going to go find someone who will.

I can't wait to hear what his plans are here in a few months once he's been in town and spent more time looking at facilities and talking to the players and coaches about what may be missing.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

A complete 180 from the Boat Coaster.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It also seem apparent that he's not going to forget the non-revenue sports in all of this. Some schools have a narrow focus and just roll with the rest. He knows basketball is king, but seems to have a passion about making the other programs championship contenders and making us a top 100 program overall, which we apparently haven't been.
              Sounds like a Jim Schaus philosophy.

Comment

• I honestly thought of Schaus while reading the article. Time will tell, but he definitely gives me some of those vibes with his approach and ambition.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I LOVE that they went and got a guy with experience and success doing exactly what we need, as well as apparently having a matching athletic vision with Muma.

I am quickly gaining more confidence that Muma is the right guy for the job.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• TEAR DOWN CESSNA STADIUM NOW....please

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      TEAR DOWN CESSNA STADIUM NOW....please
                      I think there are plans out there to try and make that happen.

The only thing is, it would put in danger the All-Class State Track Championships, if they were to lower capacity a lot.

Hopefully, they can find a solution to both have a new facility and keep the meet the way it is.
                      The Assman

Comment

• WSU press conference is live on youtube.

Comment

• Tearing down Cessna would require some temporary pains. But it would be 100% worth it and needs to be done yesterday.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I am liking on this AD new guy.

Comment

• Don't make us billboard you, Mr. Saal, and we'll get along just fine.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                Don't make us billboard you, Mr. Saal, and we'll get along just fine.
                                Billboard is now a verb too!

Comment

Working...
                                X