No announcement yet.

Butler to the A-10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst case scenarios. Butler joins the A10. Eventually Creighton and Bradley follow. ISU and MSU both move up to FBS and that leaves the Valley with:

Wichita State
    Northern Iowa
    Indiana State
    Evansville
    Drake
    Southern Illinois

Elgin then panics and brings in South Dakota State and North Dakota State along with Western Illinois and UMKC.

Gotta love where we'll be in 10-20 years......

Is it to late to bring back football?
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

And then we could say Indiana State joins the Horizon and we then pick up Emporia State as they have chosen to transition to D1.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Worst case scenarios. Butler joins the A10. Eventually Creighton and Bradley follow.
        Why would anyone take Bradley?? Sorry, I feel like I've missed something. I can see the A-10 maybe finding CU attractive but its beyond me why anyone would want Bradley.

Comment

I think the best (and most realistic) option is to try and become a part of the MWC-CUSA mega conference. They've already said that they are willing to expand beyond the original members, and I believe have said they would bring on a couple non-football playing schools. If they'll bring in non-football schools, it's a no-brainer. Get back in with Tulsa, and there are some other teams that make geographic sense.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker2012 View Post
            Why would anyone take Bradley?? Sorry, I feel like I've missed something. I can see the A-10 maybe finding CU attractive but its beyond me why anyone would want Bradley.
            Despite Bradley being a little down, they're a good school near Chicago with a strong fan base. Not to metion they're a private school which is basically what the A10 is all about. And the location is much better when compared to the other schools.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Actually I think Washburn is the most likely of Kansas' Div II schools to move to Division 1.

Comment

Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                I think the best (and most realistic) option is to try and become a part of the MWC-CUSA mega conference. They've already said that they are willing to expand beyond the original members, and I believe have said they would bring on a couple non-football playing schools. If they'll bring in non-football schools, it's a no-brainer. Get back in with Tulsa, and there are some other teams that make geographic sense.
                More and more that's what I'm leaning towards. Not sure if the money is really there to support the move or not. That's splitting a lot of money in basketball. But being put in a division or pod with Tulsa and North Texas wouldn't suck. I'm assuming we'd be with Rice as well. There's talk of them adding UT-A or UT-SA as well. Travel wouldn't be horrendous. We'd be in a conference with the likes of New Mexico, UNLV, Nevada, Colorado State, Southern Miss, Tulsa, North Texas, and possibly Utah State. But you would be talking about 24 or so schools splitting money. That wouldn't make basketball sense unless we were confident that this conference was going to get say 6 bids or so a year with teams making runs. And not sure what kind of TV contract would be offered. Some nice markets as a whole though.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  Actually I think Washburn is the most likely of Kansas' Div II schools to move to Division 1.
                  I had no idea which one to pick. I've been reading about a number of DII schools looking to move up in the next couple of years and have wondered if any of the KS schools would be interested. Granted, you have to have a conference invite to move up now. But I wondered about Emporia, Washburn and Fort Hays mostly. Don't think either Friends or Newman would be capable and don't know about all the others either. FHSU and ESU have nice enrollments though. Pitt State maybe?

Part of me would love to see one of them make the move.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                    Is the MVC getting off their arse and being proactive?
                    Is the Pope Jewish?
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Fort Hays State is the real diamond. They can change their name to Kansas Tech and join the Valley with North Dakota State and South Dakota State. Laugh if you must but that is the future if Elgin doesn't pull out a miracle here. I love the idea of the Shocks going to MWC/CUSA alliance. It might be just the thing that jump starts the baseball program. Conference games with Rice, Tulane, Southern Miss, and ECU sounds like a winner to me. If we could somehow drag CU along it would be a slam dunk. However, they would be much better off in the A10 Catholic based league with BU.

Comment

I had no idea which one to pick. I've been reading about a number of DII schools looking to move up in the next couple of years and have wondered if any of the KS schools would be interested. Granted, you have to have a conference invite to move up now. But I wondered about Emporia, Washburn and Fort Hays mostly. Don't think either Friends or Newman would be capable and don't know about all the others either. FHSU and ESU have nice enrollments though. Pitt State maybe?

Part of me would love to see one of them make the move.
                        Don't be fooled by FHSU's enrollment, about half of that 12K are Chinese taking classes in China. Pitt State wouldn't give up football and thats about what it takes to move up. Look at Omaha, they had to give up football and they have 15K students and obviously are in Omaha.

Washburn to me would be the only one who might eventually move up someday. Mainly due to the size of city than anything else. The summit would be a good fit for them with UMKC and Omaha in it.

BTW, Emporia is the smallest of the state schools

Comment

And I don't know what the Valley can really do. Is anyone excited by the thoughts of adding any of the following?

North Dakota State
                          South Dakota State
                          Western Illinois
                          UMKC
                          Oral Roberts
                          Wright State
                          Milwaukee
                          Green Bay
                          Detroit
                          Cleveland State
                          Belmont
                          Little Rock
                          Nebraska-Omaha
                          SEMO
                          Tennessee Tech
                          North Dakota
                          South Dakota
                          Murray State
                          Austin Peay
                          Tennessee State
                          UT-Arlington
                          IUPUI
                          Valpo
                          Loyola-Chicago
                          Chicago State

Those are pretty much the list of teams in a reasonable area that we'd possibly be able to pick from. We're not getting SLU, Xavier, Butler, Dayton.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

We have to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get into the best possible basketball league that shakes out of this mess. Plain and simple.

Either the mega-National Conference or the A-10 appear to be the options at this point. Both are upgrades.

Comment

I know FHSU is a lot of online students. But they continue to grow and get money and are decent athletically I think. Or used to.

Didn't realize ESU was as small as they are.

I don't think PSU would have to give up football. UNO did it for other reasons, but there are a number of schools looking to transition into Division I and are keeping football.

How crazy would it be for there to be DI schools in KC, Lawrence, Topeka and Manhattan?

Washburn to the Summit could make some sense if they were to move up.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

And I don't know what the Valley can really do. Is anyone excited by the thoughts of adding any of the following?
                                UT-Arlington
                                Actually I would like this addition for several reasons.

1. location
                                2. Market
                                3. Another public metro based University without football in the conference

They have a relatively young coach with some success. He went to school there, was an assistant there and now has had a couple good seasons there. Including an ncaa team in 2008 and an NIT team this year.

Oh and they just built this

Their rpi sucks but they are in the southland, how couldn't it suck? will be interesting next year when they are in the WAC. Not much better but still better than the southland.

Comment

Working...
                                X