who is the most prominant shocker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who is the most prominant shocker...

...who in his career emerged from fairly deep on the bench to be a pretty good player...any thoughts?

Re: who is the most prominant shocker...

Originally posted by molly jabali
    ...who in his career emerged from fairly deep on the bench to be a pretty good player...any thoughts?
    Troy Mack, Henry Carr, Steve Grayer are some who come to mind. Troy did little for a couple years. Henry hardly saw the court as a freshman, not did Steve. Both did little under Gene but flourished in the Fogler system.

Don't forget James Gibbs who spent a lot of time on the bench then was a fine point guard his senior season.

Comment

Jason Perez did not start initially.

Proved to be one of the best we've seen in a long time.

Comment

Jason got plenty of PT from day one. In fact his freshman season he pretty much single-handedly beat the mildcats up in the Bramlage Masoleum.

Comment

This probably does not quite fit but X received limited playing time as a freshman, of course there was a big reason for that.

Comment

Great question Larry.

Steve Grayer was highly recruited and was a fresmen during Smithson's last year, I believe. I don't think I would put him in this category.

Comment

Jason got plenty of PT from day one. In fact his freshman season he pretty much single-handedly beat the mildcats up in the Bramlage Masoleum.
              I loved that game. Perez was shooting 3's 6-7 feet beyond the arc. He also threw an inbounds pass off a ksu players back to score an easy 2.
              Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
              Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                This probably does not quite fit but X received limited playing time as a freshman, of course there was a big reason for that.
                Make that two big reasons.

Comment

What about Terry Benton? He had 2 huge years...but I don't think he played much early in his career. Can anybody verify that?

Also - can you all believe it's been since 1985 (Aubrey Sherrod) that we've had a player who is in the Shocker HOF? Does anybody think any player since then deserves it? Jason Perez?

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
                    What about Terry Benton? He had 2 huge years...but I don't think he played much early in his career. Can anybody verify that?

Also - can you all believe it's been since 1985 (Aubrey Sherrod) that we've had a player who is in the Shocker HOF? Does anybody think any player since then deserves it? Jason Perez?
                    Good point.

As a soph, 6.8 rebounds and 6.6 points.
                    As a Jun, 16.8 rebounds and 16.3 points.
                    As a Sr, 14.0 rebounds and 16.2 points.

He did come a long way after his soph year.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                      Great question Larry.

Steve Grayer was highly recruited and was a fresmen during Smithson's last year, I believe. I don't think I would put him in this category.
                      Fresh: 3.7 reb; 5.2 points
                      Soph; 4.5 reb; 8.9 points
                      Jr; 5.1 reb; 12.2 points
                      Sr; 8.3 reb; 14.0 points

Pretty highly recruited, but he did make significant steps from start to finish. I recall him coming in touted as a shooting guard, but turned out to be a very strong inside player.

Comment

'larry'?..... ;-)

Comment

Henry Carr making second team All MVC his senior year was astounding.

Terry Benton was an outstanding high school player at East. I thought he was a three year starter after he played on the freshman team at WSU.

Comment

Jason Perez should make the shocker HOF....easily! Depending on this year i think PJ could also make a very strong case.
                            "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
                            -- Pele

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound

Paul Miller. Honorable Mention All American.

Comment

Working...
                              X