Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time should HCIB get to right the ship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
    Non- renew Boatright this summer.
    Hire new ad this fall.
    IB gets next season.
    Unless huge steps forward are taken, new ad fires IB and hires a new coach after next season.

That's my hope anyway. If IB is bad enough to get fired this quickly, no way should Boatright get to pick his replacement.
    Hope the new AD knows how to raise $$$, because it’ll all be gone by then.

The board needs to hire a new President while they are at it.

Stop hiring interims into key positions at this university.
    The Assman

Comment

Honest question—does our leadership even care about athletic success? I’m guessing TBD or No.

Money IS a huge piece of this issue. However, If this program is hinging on irrelevancy, I wound hope our leadership steps up and woos over some of our more affluent donors with a vision of what they are going to do to right this ship.

I shudder to think what the fallout is if we have this sort season twice more over.

If leadership doesn’t care, kiss national relevance goodbye.

Comment

By all means get rid of Boatright first... start looking for a suitable replacement right now. His contract ends in June which a positive. IB gets at least another year. What I fear is that Muma won't move quickly on replacing Boatright. Now we get to see just how flaky or detached Muma is or is not...

You might not like this but maybe the program goes down in flames before it is resurrected...

Comment

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
          By all means get rid of Boatright first... start looking for a suitable replacement right now. His contract ends in June which a positive. IB gets at least another year. What I fear is that Muma won't move quickly on replacing Boatright. Now we get to see just how flaky or detached Muma is or is not...

You might not like this but maybe the program goes down in flames before it is resurrected...
          Obviously, we don't like it, but it is certainly headed that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Boatright first, then IB.
            Negotiate a buy out asap - might be easier than one might think especially if IB realizes,
            and he well might, that he is not head coach material at this level. I thought Turg made
            a comment after resigning that he'd love to go back to WSU. Pretty good recruiter of
            big men. Right now, if we good get Turg for next season I'd be delighted. Maybe he
            has a couple good recruits in his hip pocket and a couple not so happy Maryland players.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

Negotiate a buy out asap - might be easier than one might think especially if IB realizes,
              and he well might, that he is not head coach material at this level. I thought Turg made
              a comment after resigning that he'd love to go back to WSU. Pretty good recruiter of
              big men. Right now, if we good get Turg for next season I'd be delighted. Maybe he
              has a couple good recruits in his hip pocket and a couple not so happy Maryland players.
              Did Turg actually say that? Interesting if so.

Putting the odds of that happening aside, I would be really curious what the fan base reaction would be.

Comment

The only justification for keeping Isaac Brown for even another game is how unlikely we are to right the ship while paying three coaches up to 2026. I wouldn't say that he gets a chance to prove himself; the writing is on the wall. We aren't an NCAA team, we likely aren't an NIT team, and we don't really have a route to furthering our success for years to come. There is nothing Isaac Brown could feasibly do to convince me to give him a second chance.

Brown has not only ruined our team, he has ruined our program and even our players. Without his 'coaching', I'd argue that Etienne, Pohto, and Council would have made the NBA. Etienne in particular is owed millions of dollars by Brown; if I wanted to turn the MVP of the conference into the least valuable player in the entire conference, I'd do exactly what Brown has done: make my best player shoot unassisted jumpers that aren't open with the worst possible mechanics. No player yet born can hit 30% on guarded, turn-around, off-balance, unset, 30-ft jump shots and that is exactly the staple of Etienne's diet. How many teams in this entire season has Etienne had his feet set towards the basketball, caught the ball cleanly, and put up a 'normal' 3PT shot from the corner without having to turn? Maybe never. Even when he has the chance, he still makes the shot more difficult, and this seems to perhaps be something Brown has deliberately taught him.

This may be a doomer response, but it is possible that we are just screwed. Brown had the luck of the gods last season and we misfired, and now we are a half-decade away from having normal money to even start a rebuild around a top-tier coach (and need to hope that works out). Our national relevance may be over for the foreseeable future without a great plan and a lot of luck.

Isaac Brown gets no time to right the ship. He's gone, no matter what he does from here on out. The only question is how long the ship sinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

Putting the odds of that happening aside, I would be really curious what the fan base reaction would be.
                  Yes he did say that and it is clear he sent out some feelers after Marshall resigned.

Comment

Proabably made an unwise hire, for sure locked him into a sweetheart deal (for him), during a pandemic and now are in a declining conference (read declining revenues) and who knows how the big money backers are feeling about subsidizing this administration/athletic department and the athletic department's financial status is in very precarious shape.

Whatever direction WSU goes it doesn't seem likely we are looking at a quick fix absent an unexpected Sugar Daddy arriving to save the day. And even then money alone won't necessarily solve all the problems.

Comment

Had we given him a 3 year deal, I would say ride it out. At 5 years we’re kinda effed.

Comment

I think we were in a situation where we had little choice but to offer him the job. Giving him a bulletproof contract, though, was nothing short of insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

Turg has regretted leaving Wichita State for quite some time. 100%
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Doesn't matter though. We are stuck for a few years.
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Had we given him a 3 year deal, I would say ride it out. At 5 years we’re kinda effed.
                              A buy out after year 3 on his contract as it is should be doable.

Comment

The first time I heard Coach Brown speak, I pegged his IQ at around 75. But the video of the players in absolute jubilation when it was announced we signed him to a contract, made me think he could turn out okay. He just needed to use his God-given assets and start hauling in some Lunkers from the deep South. Without an amazing roster of athletes, or a couple Larry Brown types as assistants, Mr. Brown has zero chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X