Cincinnati at Wichita State Game Thread 1-16-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
    WSU lost the game when Qua and to a much lesser extent Jenkins were in. Cincinnati attacked them on every possession and got rolling. IB went zone hoping to disrupt Cinci but it was too late and the zone not well executed.

We then fell back into bad habits in a one possession game - aside from one good play for Dex’s open three from straight on.

Furthermore, our coaching staff (like many others) doesn’t use every tool in the bag. Late in the game - We had lots of fouls to work with or have these fouls work against us. Instead of pressing or tightly guarding in the attempt to get steals we played standard man2man defense. This let clock burn without disrupting or creating a frenzy situation for the Cincinnati ball handlers. As a coach you cannot get into a late game situation without having front-ends at your disposal. Just piss poor game management.
    You are totally correct. Keep up the good analysis.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

That wouldn’t work because Cinci wasn’t close to the bonus. Can’t let clock run in an attempt to get a turnover.
      Oh yeah. Good point.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

There’s a million reasons not to feel bad for him.
        Thanks, that’s true .

Comment

• I think Proshox nailed it. We were up 8 at about the 10 minute mark and Qua got torched by number 5 on three straight possessions while we did not score. The game was over at that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
            We came out of the timeout with a minute and 18 seconds left. Inbounds to Tyson and he dribbles it around for 9 seconds and takes a crappy shot. No passes or even looking for anything. If that is the play HCIB drew up, that is pitiful coaching.
            Monzy played 16 minutes and had 3 points and 3 rebounds, and wasn't good defensively. Not earning more time that way.
            CP is our only player who can reliably go get his own shot or pass it to an open guy if doubled.
            DeJulius was too good for Tyson to guard but HCIB left him there for most of the 2nd half. Needed to switch to Dex. CP was missed defensively too.
            Mo was terrible at guarding the 3 point line. Why play off a 7' guy? It wasn't like he was going to dribble around him.

This is just disheartening.
            We came out of the timeout with a minute and 18 seconds left. Inbounds to Tyson and he dribbles it around for 9 seconds and takes a crappy shot. No passes or even looking for anything. That is the play HCIB drew up. That is pitiful coaching.
            FIFY

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
              ETN is not even half the player he was. That dumbfounds me. Until he is right like he was his 1st 2 years, the rest means squat. We aren't gonna win unless our POY is making plays.

I hate to say that our success rests on 1 player, but for us, it's like the Bulls not having Jordan. That's how big of an impact he made for the Shox. When he was nails, everybody else played their role.

I cannot believe how off from last year he is.
              Shot quality over all. Etienne's shots almost exclusively consist of turnaround, unset, guarded, long-range threes. That is an Isaac Brown coaching decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                I don't you can win with Jalen Hurts at quarterback
                Or IB at coach

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Shot quality over all. Etienne's shots almost exclusively consist of turnaround, unset, guarded, long-range threes. That is an Isaac Brown coaching decision.
                  All this season has been is an NBA tryout exhibition for him. But that has failed miserably.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
                    I don’t think coaching was the issue this game. We missed a lot of bunnies and open shots. Dexter’s missed shot at the end was just the perfect representation of this season
                    Absolutely coaching had a big part in this loss.

Either IB is too dumb or too stubborn to realize that you can't clear out and let one player go one on one the last four minutes of a game.
                    It hasn't worked all year but we do it every game.

The other possibility is IB has no control over this team and mainly TE just decides on his own to do it every game.

Pick your reason, but the conclusion is always the same. IB needs to go.

Comment

• If you’re drawing up a defense against the shox you crowd Tyson on the 3 and beg him to drive. It’s a recipe for success every time.

Comment

• Had 800 on Cincy today, literally never sweated it once

Comment

• For what it's worth, a lot of the stupid things we're doing now—the ones that are costing us games—(like clearing out for one player to "go and make a play" in the final minutes) are the same things Marshall was doing the last three years of his career. I totally agree that we aren't being put in a position to win by our coaching staff and I think that they have been doing a terrible job and are being out-coached a lot—especially in the closing minutes of games—but the whole "this would have never happened with Marshall," stuff requires some revisionist history. The game had moved past Marshall, his Xs and Os and his overall style just didn't translate to the game today. Maybe the best thing that could have happened would been to have this to play out under his watch so there wouldn't have been any second guessing.

In some ways, I even wonder if part of the problem this staff has is that they are trying too hard not to stray from Marshall's system—a system that really hadn't been working the past several years. In fact, I seem to remember a lot of games where we cleared out to let Samajae try to win games for us and when we had the same "ride or die" mentality with him and Markus who weren't nearly as gifted as Tyson is.

Maybe we really did need an entire reset before we came to this point. Unfortunately, we're now cash strapped and on a downward trajectory so I'm not sure who we could get to head it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

All this season has been is an NBA tryout exhibition for him. But that has failed miserably.
                            The opposite. Isaac Brown has coached Etienne out of the NBA. The NBA doesn't value shooters that have such terrible mechanics, their shot is practically a turnover. Telling Etienne that he needs to lead by taking horrendous shots has not only tanked his % and hurt the team, it has driven Etienne out of potentially playing in the professional ranks. I doubt Etienne has been concerned about playing at the next level over the coach telling him to 'play hard' and 'shoot his shot' to help the team, and by doing that Brown has done literally the worst possible coaching job with Etienne.

Comment

• I seriously doubt KP will be a future center here if IB remains. Put yourself in
                              KP's shoes

Comment

• Who would you guess stays?

Comment

Working...
                                X