No announcement yet.

Blame Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm still hung up on Boatright's handling of the Marshall situation. Could it have been handled internally without publicly attacking Marshall's ego? My choice was to get him counseling and tighten the rains in terms of player treatment. He deserved a chance to redeem himself but didn't get it. I think Boatwright more or less buckled and gave in to the media frenzy. Water under the bridge but Boatright's job should be on shaky ground at this point. Do not want to see him responsible for firing HCIB or hiring the next coach.

Comment

• I've missed quite a bit here.

First, not all coaches with no head coaching experience are equal. Some are groomed for the job and everyone knows that the chances of that coach succeeding are high, but not guaranteed. We've had assistants on the bench that even before they left, we talked about them getting HC opportunities and wondered if they could be the ones to replace 3G when he were to leave.

IB was never one of those guys. He apparently had turned down interviewing for at least one job, but I don't recall which schools expressed interest. Was that because he didn't really want to be the head man somewhere? Did he think he could get a better opportunity with another year or two by Marshalls side? I don't know what the answer is, but he was never seen by anyone I can recall as being talked about as a potential head man like we did in the past with guys like Boyle (Turgeon), Jans, Forbes, Heier and a few more.

So the schools previously mentioned are hiring guys that everyone pretty much knows has been groomed for and have been preparing for head jobs, and have some pedigree to back it up.

Someone claimed there were eye witnesses to what Shaq alleged, but we only have their word as absolutely nobody came out and supported what Shaq said as a witness. This whole thing could have been handled better from the time whatever happened happened to 3G parting ways.

IB is not 3G. He doesn't have to be, but he does have to be better than the IB we are seeing now.

Last year wasn't some glorious season. We won the AAC in a year where due to Covid we avoided a number of games against the top teams and we barely survived a number of games against lesser teams that we easily could have lost. We knew it then and talked about it. We also squeaked into the NCAA despite winning the AAC. That should tell you a little something about our AAC "dominance". Those same issues we had when we were coming out on the right side are still the same things we're seeing this year but they're more glaring. Mostly because nothing is changing, we're barely beating some bad teams and looking bad in some bad losses.

People were calling for Boatright to be gone before this whole thing, so lets not pretend this is the only reason why a number of people want him out.

As far as coaching budget, IB has been overcompensated from the beginning. The big donors could and would pony up more for certain hires.

The future AAC is still better than the MVC. I get so tired of people acting like it's not. Problem is, we're putting out a product that wouldn't even win the MVC and that is unacceptable. That has everything to do with us and nothing to do with the conference.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

If you think the right coach "was going to come along" and follow Marshall, you are delusional. The program was already on a downward trajectory from the F4 and S16 (the Baker, VanVleet, and Cotton years). Then there were the massive transfers which indicated a total roster rebuild was going to be needed. Losing 5 Sr's one year and 7 transfers the next year is a red flag for a coaching hire. Then a new coach is going to risk massive roster turnover from the already rebuilt roster.

Following Marshall in that situation would be like following Mangino at KU. It's a great way to get out of the coaching business- or to become an assistant for the rest of your career. Under the circumstances, IB is probably the best ADDB could have done.

Instead of comparing IB to fHCGggM, we should be comparing IB to other coaches that could have conceivably been hired to replace Marshall. I think IB comes out really well if that's the comparison. I don't think IB is coming out well as a HC at this point, but I'm skeptical that ADDB could have found anyone willing to take the job who could have done better.
        As disgusted as I am with IB right now, this pretty much summarizes the way it is.

Most of you know I was a supporter of GM but if we are going to be honest there is just one person to blame for the downward slide of this program and that is GM and possibly the changes in society that made it less tolerant to coaches like GM.

He built it and he tore it down by not being able to control himself or adapt to the changing coaching climate.

Perhaps worst of all he then extorted 6.5 million dollars from the program that it couldn't afford. That was not exactly trying to preserve your legacy. It has crippled the program and he knew it would cripple the program and didn't care.

I don't think he is a terrible person but it we are being honest who else is there to blame? Everyone else actions that are getting blamed in this thread were all a result of GM and his inability to control himself. It is hard to accept, but it's the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
          So what eo we do now?

Fire our coach who has been on the job for one year and who was voted the Coach of the Year for the American Conference last year?

Do you think really believe any Coach who is worth a Piss is going to jump at the chance of coaching at this University, under this type of leadership?????

Whether we like it or not, we need to give Coach IB one or two more years and then make a decision based on facts and his record,, and not on the preconceived emotions that existed by many on this board prior to his even being hired.
          Fire the Athletic Director now!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

As disgusted as I am with IB right now, this pretty much summarizes the way it is.

Most of you know I was a supporter of GM but if we are going to be honest there is just one person to blame for the downward slide of this program and that is GM and possibly the changes in society that made it less tolerant to coaches like GM.

He built it and he tore it down by not being able to control himself or adapt to the changing coaching climate.

Perhaps worst of all he then extorted 6.5 million dollars from the program that it couldn't afford. That was not exactly trying to preserve your legacy. It has crippled the program and he knew it would cripple the program and didn't care.

I don't think he is a terrible person but it we are being honest who else is there to blame? Everyone else actions that are getting blamed in this thread were all a result of GM and his inability to control himself. It is hard to accept, but it's the truth.
            Not saying you're totally wrong, but some of it is. There should have been a transition forward without sinking (maybe to the bottom). You still think it would be best to still be in the MVC, and that's totally wrong. We need new leadership at the top of the program that has new vision. I don't think that IB has that kind of vision, and can bring new excitement regarding where this program should be. That leadership will bring others on board just as GM did with Charles Koch, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

If you think the right coach "was going to come along" and follow Marshall, you are delusional. The program was already on a downward trajectory from the F4 and S16 (the Baker, VanVleet, and Cotton years). Then there were the massive transfers which indicated a total roster rebuild was going to be needed. Losing 5 Sr's one year and 7 transfers the next year is a red flag for a coaching hire. Then a new coach is going to risk massive roster turnover from the already rebuilt roster.

Following Marshall in that situation would be like following Mangino at KU. It's a great way to get out of the coaching business- or to become an assistant for the rest of your career. Under the circumstances, IB is probably the best ADDB could have done.

Instead of comparing IB to fHCGggM, we should be comparing IB to other coaches that could have conceivably been hired to replace Marshall. I think IB comes out really well if that's the comparison. I don't think IB is coming out well as a HC at this point, but I'm skeptical that ADDB could have found anyone willing to take the job who could have done better.
              Lol! You underestimate the ego of coaches. Especially those at the highest level. They all think they can do better than any other coach. Book it.

Comment

Extorted??? LOL!!! Are you familiar with how contracts work? Perhaps WSU is to blame for agreeing to that in his contract. The buyout was there. The school couldn't fight it because they knew about the incident for 5 years and did nothing. Had it gone to court or arbitration, the school would have immediately had any claim to not pay the contract dismissed.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Topshock;n1326221]

]

i dont blame 3g for taking the money a bit. he asked and the univ paid. i’m guessing that 3g could have driven a “permanent” nail into the program if the details had gone public. wichita state athletics had to have known about the shaq deal or lindstead and did nothing. ifntruse, its the athletic department to blame. we’ll likely never know the real truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arizona Shocker View Post
                    Blame? Gone are the days of MTXE and Play Angry. Now it’s Instagram feeds, players reading social media praise and hate, crazy ass parents, NIL opportunities, transfer portal looming, the 3 ball, recruiting players with mental issues, Covid, Athletic Dept is broke, younger fans less inclined to drop the tech and experience in person, older fan base aging out, and the always changing conference realignment saga.

I just want to watch the Shox shoot the ball above 50% and play tenacious D (not the group). Is that too much to ask?

You think we are alone? Try being a Husker football fan like my wife and listen to them groan about their supposed savior Scott Frost sucking and how they should be back to their glory days.
                    I've thought for awhile there's a lot of similarities between husker fb and Shocker baseball.

Comment

• Moving forward this year I want to see more passion on the bench from IB. I want to see him be a leader during games. Please step up and act like you want to light a fire under your team. Please be willing to jump the officials when they need to be reminded that they blew a call. Please be willing to admit you didn’t have the team ready to play against Memphis. Please develop an offense that doesn’t encourage dribbling and jacking up 3’s. Please don’t let Etienne shoot technicals when he has already missed 3 free throws in the first half of a game. Please run set plays especially for players other than TE and MU. Please be willing to play zone at times against superior teams. Please recruit makers like Hatch, Conner, Landry, Ragland. Please recruit inside players like Stutz, Durley, Hall, Willis that can score inside. IB please realize that if a team can’t shoot a good percentage of 3’s in college basketball and can’t score inside they can’t win...
                      Lastly IB if you want more passion and cheering from the fans you have to show more enthusiasm and passion coaching this team. A team follows their coaches lead. Being a Zombie on the bench will lead a team to play without hustle, desire and motivation. The KSU, NT and Memphis games should be a wake up call that you IB need to wake up and adjust. I for one hope you can adjust...

Comment

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
                        Moving forward this year I want to see more passion on the bench from IB. I want to see him be a leader during games. Please step up and act like you want to light a fire under your team. Please be willing to jump the officials when they need to be reminded that they blew a call. Please be willing to admit you didn’t have the team ready to play against Memphis. Please develop an offense that doesn’t encourage dribbling and jacking up 3’s. Please don’t let Etienne shoot technicals when he has already missed 3 free throws in the first half of a game. Please run set plays especially for players other than TE and MU. Please be willing to play zone at times against superior teams. Please recruit makers like Hatch, Conner, Landry, Ragland. Please recruit inside players like Stutz, Durley, Hall, Willis that can score inside. IB please realize that if a team can’t shoot a good percentage of 3’s in college basketball and can’t score inside they can’t win...
                        Lastly IB if you want more passion and cheering from the fans you have to show more enthusiasm and passion coaching this team. A team follows their coaches lead. Being a Zombie on the bench will lead a team to play without hustle, desire and motivation. The KSU, NT and Memphis games should be a wake up call that you IB need to wake up and adjust. I for one hope you can adjust...
                        You're asking him to be something he's not.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

You're asking him to be something he's not.
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                          This x infinity. You can't change a zebra's stripes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Not saying you're totally wrong, but some of it is. There should have been a transition forward without sinking (maybe to the bottom). You still think it would be best to still be in the MVC, and that's totally wrong. We need new leadership at the top of the program that has new vision. I don't think that IB has that kind of vision, and can bring new excitement regarding where this program should be. That leadership will bring others on board just as GM did with Charles Koch, etc.
                            I still think it would be best to be in the MVC? What???

I was a proponent for going to the AAC before it was even a possibility. I am ecstatic to not be in the MVC, even now..

Comment

I still think it would be best to be in the MVC? What???

I was a proponent for going to the AAC before it was even a possibility. I am ecstatic to not be in the MVC, even now..
                              My mistake there. I think I was referring to Proshox.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Extorted??? LOL!!! Are you familiar with how contracts work? Perhaps WSU is to blame for agreeing to that in his contract. The buyout was there. The school couldn't fight it because they knew about the incident for 5 years and did nothing. Had it gone to court or arbitration, the school would have immediately had any claim to not pay the contract dismissed.
                                I am very familiar with contract law and you are right, extorted was a poor choice of words.

My point however remains intact. There was nothing stopping GM from resigning and taking say a 1 or 2 million pay off.
                                If he considered the program he built his legacy and was truly the most important thing to him that would seem reasonable.

He already had more than enough money for himself, and he knew the allegations were true.

Instead, he chose to cripple a basketball program, that had made him a multi-millionaire, just to make himself richer.

Comment

Working...
                                X