No announcement yet.

The Annual HCIB WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really curious what people are watching when people keep saying this team isn't giving effort. With this exception of about 10 min of yesterday's game wrapped between the end of the first half and beginning of the second, this team has 100% given their all the entire season. It's the reason we've stayed and won so many games. Unless effort is only counted when baskets go in.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      I'm really curious what people are watching when people keep saying this team isn't giving effort. With this exception of about 10 min of yesterday's game wrapped between the end of the first half and beginning of the second, this team has 100% given their all the entire season. It's the reason we've stayed and won so many games. Unless effort is only counted when baskets go in.

​​​​
      Maybe they play so ****ing stupid that it overshadows effort.

But I also don't see this team as 100% effort. It goes in spurts and they get lazy, often for long stretches. There are exceptions like Jackson who I'm not sure knows how to not give 100% at any point, but I don't see that in many others.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

​​​​
        I agree. There's a lot to improve upon, and there are many things that make a fan want to gouge out your eyes with a rusty ice pick, but effort (for the most part as you said) was not lacking. Guys were flying around the court with effort, even if it was misguided at times.

Comment

Porter < Gilbert. Pleasant <<< Wade. This is probably a worse team than the team that lost to Drake last year. The product on the court is worse than the second place team in the MVC last year.

WSU's offense doesn't seem to work unless there's a PG who can score at the rim and hit jumpers. That offense is painful to watch without that type of a PG. Friends of mine who were at the UNT game said they wished they hadn't gone.

Player turnover kills enthusiasm. 10 players from the 2019-20 team either graduated or left the program. There's no roster continuity for fans to follow players through their careers at WSU. That can be pulled off if there's a new crop of players coming in to maintain a quality product on the court. That hasn't happened.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Maybe they play so ****ing stupid that it overshadows effort.

But I also don't see this team as 100% effort. It goes in spurts and they get lazy, often for long stretches. There are exceptions like Jackson who I'm not sure knows how to not give 100% at any point, but I don't see that in many others.
            I think you are confusing Jackson's 130% and out of control effort with that being the baseline. I don't want 10 Jackson's on the team. He has his role but he's out of control more often than not

Comment

I think you are confusing Jackson's 130% and out of control effort with that being the baseline. I don't want 10 Jackson's on the team. He has his role but he's out of control more often than not
              I’d rather have a Jackson at 130% than an Etienne giving 0% on a fast break.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I've talked about Jackson's short comings. But effort isn't ever one of them. I see pretty much everyone else take plenty of plays off and make boneheaded mistakes. Given the choice, I'll side with effort and issues than lack of effort and issues
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  I've talked about Jackson's short comings. But effort isn't ever one of them. I see pretty much everyone else take plenty of plays off and make boneheaded mistakes. Given the choice, I'll side with effort and issues than lack of effort and issues
                  This. Very much this.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

What we really need is a damn sports psychologist for ETN, Dex, RCIV and a few others. I am not joking either, I am dead serious.

They have talent, but they are mental midgets during games.

Comment

Originally posted by Arizona Shocker View Post
                      What we really need is a damn sports psychologist for ETN, Dex, RCIV and a few others. I am not joking either, I am dead serious.

They have talent, but they are mental midgets during games.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Many seasons ago I brought out of town relatives to a game. They paid a visit half way across the country and had no affiliation or knowledge of WSU. It was the infamous Fridge tossing headband fiasco vs Oral Roberts. We lost to freaking Oral Roberts and I was rather embarrassed. I think they walked away thinking this was a cute exhibition of low-level college basketball.

Honestly, I would be leery about taking visitors to watch this team. There is no entertainment value for someone not invested in the team. It does not look like big time college basketball or even a brand of basketball that is well played.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                          Many seasons ago I brought out of town relatives to a game. They paid a visit half way across the country and had no affiliation or knowledge of WSU. It was the infamous Fridge tossing headband fiasco vs Oral Roberts. We lost to freaking Oral Roberts and I was rather embarrassed. I think they walked away thinking this was a cute exhibition of low-level college basketball.

Honestly, I would be leery about taking visitors to watch this team. There is no entertainment value for someone not invested in the team. It does not look like big time college basketball or even a brand of basketball that is well played.
                          did the same in 3g’s creighton blackout in 09.. friend saw that the team said that there was no reason that team was 0-6 in the valley and that the sky was the limit. sad that we didnt get to watch the final four game together.

kenpom rates the shocker defense in the top 35 and the offense an embarrassing 155. barely above average. i don't have a synergy membership however id bet dinner that the data would show that the majority of our misses are from BAD shots… one extra pass to an (more) open man. lazy and selfish is the name of the shockers offensive game. it is correctable with leadership. penny called out his upper classmen for being jealous of the heralded recruits in both the media and the locker room. what will ib do.?. cuz the status quo sure isnt working.

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

did the same in 3g’s creighton blackout in 09.. friend saw that the team said that there was no reason that team was 0-6 in the valley and that the sky was the limit. sad that we didnt get to watch the final four game together.

kenpom rates the shocker defense in the top 35 and the offense an embarrassing 155. barely above average. i don't have a synergy membership however id bet dinner that the data would show that the majority of our misses are from BAD shots… one extra pass to an (more) open man. lazy and selfish is the name of the shockers offensive game. it is correctable with leadership. penny called out his upper classmen for being jealous of the heralded recruits in both the media and the locker room. what will ib do.?. cuz the status quo sure isnt working.
                            The last time Taylor did an analysis of the offense this year using Synergy, we had a pretty high percentage that were marked as good shots.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

I was at a buddy's ranch over New Years. I tuned in the WSU-Memphis game for the group to watch. It was my family and a bunch of Baylor alums. Talk about embarrassing.

Comment

The last time Taylor did an analysis of the offense this year using Synergy, we had a pretty high percentage that were marked as good shots.
                                How about the eye test?

Lord, you have an excuse for everything.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X