No announcement yet.

The Annual HCIB WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gregg Marshall was one of the hottest up-and-comers in the nation when we nabbed him. Brown never held a head coaching job. I mean... what did you expect?

Best case scenario, things are rough for years before his teams get consistent. Worse case scenario...

I was hoping he could use the race card to nab some legit Lunks. I'm still waiting...

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      I was hoping he could use the race card to nab some legit Lunks. I'm still waiting...
      I believe Penny Hardaway has a Royal Flush in that suit.

Comment

MK and IB must hate going through these weekly motions

Comment

Who's going to play the "we didn't hit shots" drinking game?

Comment

Good Lord, the excuse train is a chuggin tonight.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              Good Lord, the excuse train is a chuggin tonight.
              Let me guess: "Memphis is a National Title contender who has 3 legit NBA lottery picks" "We just ran in to a buzzsaw" "We will regroup and we had a great practice today" "These are great kids who are very coachable" "We have veteran leadership and we will make adjustments"

Comment

…add in MK reminding everyone for the 10,000th time that everyone in the program has been vaccinated.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

"These are great kids who are very coachable"

"We have veteran leadership and we will make adjustments"
                  If these kids are coachable, they're not being coached. Nothing is changing.

Veteran leadership? Where? We have veterans, that part is true. But that's also where it ends.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Wichita State has no head coach. If this team keeps losing and implodes the best players are going to leave. Then it will be a dog **** product with poor coaching and poor talent. Wichita’s national brand is still intact. If the program craters it will be damaged. Either Brown pulls it out which I doubt happens or it will destroy itself through neglect and incompetence.
                    Brown and Boatright have to go.
                    it’s over until they are removed.
                    Last edited by top20shock; January 4, 2022, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Come 2024 it'll be interesting to see what the list may look like if IB doesn't figure things out.

Chris Jans will always be brought up and rightfully so. Will he have moved on to something bigger and better than New Mexico State by then?
                      Greg Heier will also be in the picture. It's going to be interesting to see where his path takes him.
                      Will Adrian Griffin still be interested? No HC experience as far as I know and hasn't been in the college game, but the NBA connections have surely made him a lot of contacts with people who could help him on the bench when it comes to recruiting. Plus he's a native.
                      Would a Donnie Jones be an option? I'm not sure that would be the right direction and he has struggled in the past as a head guy.
                      The Steve Forbes ship has probably sailed.

I need to do a better job following former players/coaches of Wichita State. I know there are others out there, but I don't think any of them have positioned themselves for the job. There was a time when Coop seemed like a possible option. I'd love to see Matty B be a HC some day and I think he could be successful, but he won't be in that spot in a couple of years. Though I wouldn't hate having him on the bench.

I know there were a few bigger name coaches being floated by media types shortly after 3G left the program. I can't recall who or how attractive they were. Probably not great considering I don't remember, though it seemed like one was older and may have been thought of as a guy that could stabilize the program and still recruit high level talent. But I'm not sure anyone was a long-term option so probably wouldn't be a great choice come '24.

I'm not sure anyone on the bench currently would be an option and I honestly don't know enough about most of them. I know Waterman is a recruiter of talent. Gudino I know I've heard good things about, but I don't recall what or why or if a HC job is in his future or not.

Who else might be an option? Obviously a lot can change in a few years and if we're really lucky, IB will figure it all out and we'll start seeing a product we can be proud of again on the court that doesn't put people to sleep or make them want to pull their hair out. Though we could have a lot more bald fans by the time this season ends.

It's probably, it is, way too soon to be thinking about this stuff considering he's locked in for two more years after this no matter how bad things may get. But I'm not seeing much positive to talk about right now so why the hell not...

And I know even less about potential AD options. If someone knows more about that realm of things throw it out as well. I doubt we ever get another Schaus, who I just recently found out is in his third year as a conference commissioner for the Southern. But we don't need another Perkins of Boatright.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Jans, Heier or Forbes are the only 3 from your list I would want here.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          Come 2024 it'll be interesting to see what the list may look like if IB doesn't figure things out.

Chris Jans will always be brought up and rightfully so. Will he have moved on to something bigger and better than New Mexico State by then?
                          Greg Heier will also be in the picture. It's going to be interesting to see where his path takes him.
                          Will Adrian Griffin still be interested? No HC experience as far as I know and hasn't been in the college game, but the NBA connections have surely made him a lot of contacts with people who could help him on the bench when it comes to recruiting. Plus he's a native.
                          Would a Donnie Jones be an option? I'm not sure that would be the right direction and he has struggled in the past as a head guy.
                          The Steve Forbes ship has probably sailed.

I need to do a better job following former players/coaches of Wichita State. I know there are others out there, but I don't think any of them have positioned themselves for the job. There was a time when Coop seemed like a possible option. I'd love to see Matty B be a HC some day and I think he could be successful, but he won't be in that spot in a couple of years. Though I wouldn't hate having him on the bench.

I know there were a few bigger name coaches being floated by media types shortly after 3G left the program. I can't recall who or how attractive they were. Probably not great considering I don't remember, though it seemed like one was older and may have been thought of as a guy that could stabilize the program and still recruit high level talent. But I'm not sure anyone was a long-term option so probably wouldn't be a great choice come '24.

I'm not sure anyone on the bench currently would be an option and I honestly don't know enough about most of them. I know Waterman is a recruiter of talent. Gudino I know I've heard good things about, but I don't recall what or why or if a HC job is in his future or not.

Who else might be an option? Obviously a lot can change in a few years and if we're really lucky, IB will figure it all out and we'll start seeing a product we can be proud of again on the court that doesn't put people to sleep or make them want to pull their hair out. Though we could have a lot more bald fans by the time this season ends.

It's probably, it is, way too soon to be thinking about this stuff considering he's locked in for two more years after this no matter how bad things may get. But I'm not seeing much positive to talk about right now so why the hell not...

And I know even less about potential AD options. If someone knows more about that realm of things throw it out as well. I doubt we ever get another Schaus, who I just recently found out is in his third year as a conference commissioner for the Southern. But we don't need another Perkins of Boatright.
                          Donnie Jones?!?!?!?!?

First, a change in the AD's office will have to take place before any coaching change.

Love me some Adrian Griffin......as a person. Would such a move be a "mini me" move of Memphis?

Wouldn't mind looking over at the bench and seeing Jans, Matty, and Cooz, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            Jans, Heier or Forbes are the only 3 from your list I would want here.
                            Those are obviously the easy ones. I'm not someone who generally looks at the full landscape of coaching and has much idea of who may be the next up and comer like Marshall was. Who was at the very top of my list when Turgeon left. I'll start paying more attention to such coaches with that kind of potential to continue their success at a higher level than they're currently at.

Though Griffin does intrigue me still. I'd need to know more, but having NBA pedigree can be beneficial if he can surround himself with the right staff. I don't know how much he'd want to return and stay in Wichita so that is what it is, but I could see a guy like that having some success as he's been around a lot of success and has expressed a desire to be the head guy. Not sure how ready he is or may be for that, but if I were conducting a search based only on what I know today, he'd get an invite and we'd figure out where he stood and find out if he could be considered. He has been the lead assistant for a couple of teams since 2015. I do know the NBA is different than college, or at least it used to be

If DB is still AD, I get the feeling Jans and Heier wouldn't be considered. Forbes may or may not have a job depending on his success at Wake and I don't know if DB would consider him or not. I doubt Forbes willingly leaves Wake to come back to Wichita. Especially if he's found some level of success there and we're left with a dumpster fire (worst case scenario I know).

I suppose a return to Turgeon could be an option. Not one I'd support, but there are apparently people out there that do.

Danny Manning? Dan Majerle? Dan D'Antoni? Dan Haynes? Danny Sprinkle? Dan Muller? Danny Kaspar? Dan Dakich? Dan Hipsher? Dan Bere? Dan Rickard? Danny Manuel? Dan Monson? Danny Lawson? Dan Hoff?

I'm tired of Dans :)
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Those are obviously the easy ones. I'm not someone who generally looks at the full landscape of coaching and has much idea of who may be the next up and comer like Marshall was. Who was at the very top of my list when Turgeon left. I'll start paying more attention to such coaches with that kind of potential to continue their success at a higher level than they're currently at.

Though Griffin does intrigue me still. I'd need to know more, but having NBA pedigree can be beneficial if he can surround himself with the right staff. I don't know how much he'd want to return and stay in Wichita so that is what it is, but I could see a guy like that having some success as he's been around a lot of success and has expressed a desire to be the head guy. Not sure how ready he is or may be for that, but if I were conducting a search based only on what I know today, he'd get an invite and we'd figure out where he stood and find out if he could be considered. He has been the lead assistant for a couple of teams since 2015. I do know the NBA is different than college, or at least it used to be

If DB is still AD, I get the feeling Jans and Heier wouldn't be considered. Forbes may or may not have a job depending on his success at Wake and I don't know if DB would consider him or not. I doubt Forbes willingly leaves Wake to come back to Wichita. Especially if he's found some level of success there and we're left with a dumpster fire (worst case scenario I know).

I suppose a return to Turgeon could be an option. Not one I'd support, but there are apparently people out there that do.

Danny Manning? Dan Majerle? Dan D'Antoni? Dan Haynes? Danny Sprinkle? Dan Muller? Danny Kaspar? Dan Dakich? Dan Hipsher? Dan Bere? Dan Rickard? Danny Manuel? Dan Monson? Danny Lawson? Dan Hoff?

I'm tired of Dans :)
                              Lieutenant Dan?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Donnie Jones?!?!?!?!?

First, a change in the AD's office will have to take place before any coaching change.

Love me some Adrian Griffin......as a person. Would such a move be a "mini me" move of Memphis?

Wouldn't mind looking over at the bench and seeing Jans, Matty, and Cooz, however.
                                In my defense, I did say Donnie probably wasn't the best option. But I was trying to think of HC caliber types who've been on the WSU bench.

I do need to learn more about Griffin, as I mentioned in the post following yours. If could have a bit of a Penny type of feel, but with a coach who has had success and experience above AAU/HS level. Having those kinds of NBA contacts and experience is something that can be sold to recruits. I have prefaced it with an interview and understanding his style and philosophy and whatnot. But if you had a Griffin and he could surround himself with a couple of guys who have maybe had NBA and college experience and maybe a veteran college guy it could be worth a gamble. Especially if we're in a place where the program isn't looking too hot in a few years. Griffin doesn't carry the same weight name wise as a Penny for his NBA career, but I still think it could play and open up some doors that may not be opened to others. Like I said, I'm intrigued and would like to learn/know more about him as a coach. And I have no idea who he might surround himself with. I do think he probably has love for Wichita and the university and would bust his ass to succeed for both personal and professional reasons.

But I feel you with the Matty and Cooz thing, though I might be concerned about two guys who's strength is Texas. I'm sure Braeuer has picked up more than just TX in his years on the bench though. Is Ryan Martin still coaching? I know he's been an assistant in the past at both Northern Colorado and UMKC.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X