No announcement yet.

Former Head Coach Mark Turgeon steps down as Maryland coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The person involved in the “choking” incident had no problem with it, so why anyone else does is petty and beyond me.

As for being mean, every coach in America mother****ed every player ever. And if the student athletes were held to the same standard there would be no football or basketball of any distinction.

Gregg ran a spotless program, graduated players, matured mean and won a ton. His biggest mistake BY FAR was not taking Shaq to Drake then letting him back on the team. Should have let him go then and there.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      The person involved in the “choking” incident had no problem with it, so why anyone else does is petty and beyond me.

As for being mean, every coach in America mother****ed every player ever. And if the student athletes were held to the same standard there would be no football or basketball of any distinction.

Gregg ran a spotless program, graduated players, matured mean and won a ton. His biggest mistake BY FAR was not taking Shaq to Drake then letting him back on the team. Should have let him go then and there.
      I believe you are an avid supporter of all things Shocker related. I see you active on the volleyball part of this board. I am interested in your view of the comments GGG made regarding Rano’s girlfriend, now wife.

Comment

• This thread got weird in a hurry.

Comment

The person involved in the “choking” incident had no problem with it, so why anyone else does is petty and beyond me.

As a follow up, you CANNOT put your hands on another person in the work environment. I am proud of the program GGG, but am disgusted at some of the reported behavior

It is still tough as someone outside looking in to reconcile the generous, personable and great coach with the same person being a huge boorish oaf that behaved inappropriately and cost himself a job

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

No, we know that Shaq said he did. And we know you believe he did. That's all we know.
            But no one in the program denies it. Literally no one. There may be some who say they never saw it happen, but there is not a single person who had said it definitely did not happen (except Marchall of course)

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

I believe you are an avid supporter of all things Shocker related. I see you active on the volleyball part of this board. I am interested in your view of the comments GGG made regarding Rano’s girlfriend, now wife.
              Completely inappropriate, and a tactic he used many times to motivate players. I think it was and is a stupid and poor attempt at motivation. I don’t believe it rises anywhere near something he should be fired for. If the AD ever got wind of it and didn’t fix it, then bad on the AD. And if my daughter had dated a player and he said that about her then Gregg and I would have settled it.

Comment

Completely inappropriate, and a tactic he used many times to motivate players. I think it was and is a stupid and poor attempt at motivation. I don’t believe it rises anywhere near something he should be fired for. If the AD ever got wind of it and didn’t fix it, then bad on the AD. And if my daughter had dated a player and he said that about her then Gregg and I would have settled it.
                How many of these “tactics” are allowed before a firing is warranted? Is it only the AD’s job to take care of inappropriate behavior? What about those who witness the behavior being used “many times?” Should they have done something? If nothing else, should they have brought use of the “tactic” to the AD’s attention?

I am trying to understand the culture behind big time basketball better.
                Last edited by mattdalt; December 4, 2021, 07:08 PM. Reason: Original tone sounded too “accusatorial.” That was not the intent

Comment

• I think we found raunos girlfriend.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Had I known how this thread evolved during the time I was away from my computer, I would have made some popcorn to munch on while reading through the saga that unfolded.

Comment

• I gotta admit, when I read Kel on a WSU basketball forum giving a sermon about Terrapin fans being beneath the blue bloods I just chalked it up to routine out-of-touch Chicken Hawk bluster, but I'll be darned, after further review, that turg literally resigned because the fans were too. Mean. To. Him. Shameful. Out of touch indeed. It was their fault!

Hiring former GGG assistant HCIB was more than a blessing in disguise (whew) if turg was genuinely at the top of a short list of possible hires one year ago. No offense to turg, of course, but this guy at one time thought A&M was a better place to coach than WSU. I wonder if he thinks the same thing now? Just kidding... Of course he does.
                      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; December 4, 2021, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Had Turgeon been hired back my interest level would have dropped. Why would we even target a guy like him who feels that there is a ceiling to how good the program can be? I'm also not sure he'll ever actually be as good as he was without Tad by his side. Boyle may have been more important to the program at that time than Turgeon was.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          Had Turgeon been hired back my interest level would have dropped. Why would we even target a guy like him who feels that there is a ceiling to how good the program can be? I'm also not sure he'll ever actually be as good as he was without Tad by his side. Boyle may have been more important to the program at that time than Turgeon was.
                          I have to agree. Turg's body language was more contagious than covid. The Terrapin fans was feelin' it...

TURD.jpg

Comment

• I think the statement "at this level" is being way, way, way overdone. Jeez, just one comment hung around his neck for 15 years? I think he said that prior to the Sweet 16. He also said that WSU was a major program in a mid-major league. Does he get credit for that?

I would have been fine with MT coming back as coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                              I think the statement "at this level" is being way, way, way overdone. Jeez, just one comment hung around his neck for 15 years? I think he said that prior to the Sweet 16. He also said that WSU was a major program in a mid-major league. Does he get credit for that?

100% agree… regrets, we’ve all had a few.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                                I think the statement "at this level" is being way, way, way overdone. Jeez, just one comment hung around his neck for 15 years? I think he said that prior to the Sweet 16. He also said that WSU was a major program in a mid-major league. Does he get credit for that?

He said that only once?

I could have sworn I heard that phrase on a good number of coaches shows after the game or on Monday show. It made me nauseous every time. It was always a poor choice of words.

However, he’s probably changed his views on that by now. The negative on Turg is that he’s a little whiny and as that is a part of his personality, I doubt has changed. However, I think he probably would have been a good, splashy, P5 hire that may have not been as expensive as other splashy hires go because he may have found coming back a positive for him and family. Thus, I would have been fine with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X