No announcement yet.

Former Head Coach Mark Turgeon steps down as Maryland coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MT was a heck of a basketball player. A good man, husband and father. MT is/was not an outgoing extroverted type of personality. Very comfortable with family and friends but not so much so in larger gatherings. Some people took this as being aloof, bored or just not interested. When approached by AtM he talked to some people that he trusted to give good advice. One was Larry Brown and the other his Wife. His wife told him he could take the job but not to ask her again because it would be a different answer. Larry Brown encouraged him to take it. The time he spent in Wichita was a special time for him and his family and maybe that is what he wanted to return to I don't know but I am with SHOXXAAC in saying I hope we are still giddy on HCIB being our coach over the coming years. As for me I have gotten past the at this level comment.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
      I think the statement "at this level" is being way, way, way overdone. Jeez, just one comment hung around his neck for 15 years? I think he said that prior to the Sweet 16. He also said that WSU was a major program in a mid-major league. Does he get credit for that?

I would have been fine with MT coming back as coach.
      I for one am glad that it didn’t happen. I think our ceiling is much higher with Coach Brown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

He said that only once?

I could have sworn I heard that phrase on a good number of coaches shows after the game or on Monday show. It made me nauseous every time. It was always a poor choice of words.
        that's my memory as well

Comment

• Immediately after FHCGM resigned, had I offered this board Turg or IB, I think the majority of you are lying if you say you would have taken IB.

That being said, it has worked out, no doubt about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
            Immediately after FHCGM resigned, had I offered this board Turg or IB, I think the majority of you are lying if you say you would have taken IB.

or Bob Richey

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

or Bob Richey
              Bob would have been an excellent hire but I am happy with the job IB has done.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

I for one am glad that it didn’t happen. I think our ceiling is much higher with Coach Brown.
                I'm still not completely sold on IB, but I'm hopeful. I still agree that he has a higher ceiling here than MT would have.

Under no circumstance would I have been happy about MT coming back. As hesitant as I was about IB with little/no experience running a program, I'd have felt better about him than the return of Turg. Bringing him back would have been a very weak move, which wouldn't have surprised me with Boatright.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm still not completely sold on IB, but I'm hopeful. I still agree that he has a higher ceiling here than MT would have.

Under no circumstance would I have been happy about MT coming back. As hesitant as I was about IB with little/no experience running a program, I'd have felt better about him than the return of Turg. Bringing him back would have been a very weak move, which wouldn't have surprised me with Boatright.
                  I always enjoy your posts, but I respectfully disagree. I’m no Boatright fan (who is?) but convincing a top-tier ACC coach to leave mid-contract from a school that won a National Championship within recent history to come BACK to Wichita State would have been serious news, and would have increased our brand significantly.

Comment

I always enjoy your posts, but I respectfully disagree. I’m no Boatright fan (who is?) but convincing a top-tier ACC coach to leave mid-contract from a school that won a National Championship within recent history to come BACK to Wichita State would have been serious news, and would have increased our brand significantly.
                    Serious news? Yes. A real accomplishment? Not really. Maryland fans have been ready to be rid of him for years. He's obviously been looking for an escape. Getting him to eave wouldn't have been some great accomplishment and he still has a lower ceiling at WSU, self imposed, than just about anyone else we could have brought in.

I'm not sure if he'd make my top 20 list of possible coaches should we need one. If we are resorting to bringing him in, that tells me our shine has worn off and Wichita is no longer a desirable place to coach. I pray that that day never comes and MT is never on the sideline of The Chuck unless he's on the opponents bench getting his ass kicked.

There's nothing special about Turgeon. He's probably a good guy, but he'll never be great.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Bueller Bueller
                      Anyone Anyone

Comment

Immediately after FHCGM resigned, had I offered this board Turg or IB, I think the majority of you are lying if you say you would have taken IB.

Are you 100% sure about that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

My pure speculation... They had goods on Marshall... But Marshall had goods on the administration. They knew and never did anything. Neither side wanted it to go to court, so coming to an agreement made the most sense to all parties. That's why it's roughly half the contract
                          Exactly. The payoff was per his contract and they knew they had to honor it because the administration knew about the "incidents" and did nothing about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Exactly. The payoff was per his contract and they knew they had to honor it because the administration knew about the "incidents" and did nothing about it.
                            I think it was actually half of his contractually obligated payout. Neither side wanted it to go to court.

Comment

• These issues have been litigated, and re-litigated, and re-litigated, again and again and again. Don't you ever tire about past years, or will you be talking about it 10 years from now?

Comment

• Don’t get me started on the dental school….

Comment

Working...
                                X