Former Head Coach Mark Turgeon steps down as Maryland coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    I don't see GM as a possibility for a high profile, top job like this. There will be a lot of questions he has to answer after the bad publicity he received, and he doesn't have the people (LYING) skills that Bruce Pearl has. I could be wrong, but Maryland probably considers him damaged goods, and they are above him now.
    Marshall not even mentioned by the fan base as a potential hire. Surprised? Nah, not really.

Comment

Part of me was just laughing at the possible irony of Marshal following Turg once again. This is a fan message board so here it goes...

I believe Marshall has to big of an ego to regress to a small school. One of the many reasons he didn't take the Texas job was he would never be the big dog on campus. Football rules the day...every day. At Maryland football is very pedestrian like. They play in a bowl game about every three years or so. The Peach Bowl level is nothing to brag about. At Maryland Marshall could and would be the big man on campus. In terms of a university taking a chance on him...come on...I am not comparing Marshall to Bruce Peal at all, but Maryland is not any different than Tennessee or Auburn. If they feel like a coach can come in, win, and more importantly win games in the NCAA Tournament, they will take a chance. Let's not fool ourselves.

Comment

I don't see GM as a possibility for a high profile, top job like this. There will be a lot of questions he has to answer after the bad publicity he received, and he doesn't have the people (LYING) skills that Bruce Pearl has. I could be wrong, but Maryland probably considers him damaged goods, and they are above him now.
        Well, we know Marshall is a liar. He may just not be good at it like Bruce Pearl.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

You know some of those rich booster friends already wish he was coach. Turg is still well connected to this community

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
            Part of me was just laughing at the possible irony of Marshal following Turg once again. This is a fan message board so here it goes...

I believe Marshall has to big of an ego to regress to a small school. One of the many reasons he didn't take the Texas job was he would never be the big dog on campus. Football rules the day...every day. At Maryland football is very pedestrian like. They play in a bowl game about every three years or so. The Peach Bowl level is nothing to brag about. At Maryland Marshall could and would be the big man on campus. In terms of a university taking a chance on him...come on...I am not comparing Marshall to Bruce Peal at all, but Maryland is not any different than Tennessee or Auburn. If they feel like a coach can come in, win, and more importantly win games in the NCAA Tournament, they will take a chance. Let's not fool ourselves.
            Well GM didn't have such a big ego to come to WSU, and stay here when he could have moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Well, we know Marshall is a liar. He may just not be good at it like Bruce Pearl.
              The point was that Bruce Pearl paid his players at Tennessee and still pays them at Auburn. Point out when GM paid his players. He has always been respectful of this community.

Comment

Well GM didn't have such a big ego to come to WSU, and stay here when he could have moved on.
                Life is certainly a journey, no doubt. Although I don't have intimate knowledge I did spend verrrrrrrry minimal time with him during his time here. Although I liked him, his sense of humor, his competitiveness on the golf course, and his passion for people and life in general, he was treated with great entitlement over the course of his 13 years. How can that not change a person even slightly. Make no mistake Marshall's ego was enormous. I am not saying whether that is good or bad in general. Each of us have our own perception on the affect his had.

Comment

The point was that Bruce Pearl paid his players at Tennessee and still pays them at Auburn. Point out when GM paid his players. He has always been respectful of this community.
                  The only lie I remember of Marshall was he said he didn't punch anybody...or something to that effect. Obviously he misremembered.

Comment

Agreed. He’ll never get a high profile job. Too much baggage now and would be a nightmare with recruiting. Also, he wouldn’t be able to coach “his style” anymore in this politically correct landscape. Those two factors likely means he’s done with coaching. And yah, I don’t think he needs the money either.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                      You know some of those rich booster friends already wish he was coach. Turg is still well connected to this community
                      Learning new things all the time, and revisionist history being what it is, I believe if HCIB had not had the success last year that he did, it would have been slightly more likely than all other outcomes that Mark would be leading our program again.

3 different teams in 15 seasons (no tourney in 2020 that he 100% was in) made 10 NCAAs. In the B1G 7 seasons, 6 NCAAs (the other bubble) one 1st, two 2nds & a 3rd. He's not in the elite class of coaches, but he's in the next group below elite and would have been an incredible hire. And that hire would have pissed off a lot of fans. And my guess is Mark would have fixed that within the first year, if not the first press conference.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Learning new things all the time, and revisionist history being what it is, I believe if HCIB had not had the success last year that he did, it would have been slightly more likely than all other outcomes that Mark would be leading our program again.
                        Whoa. That’s interesting stuff.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I liked coach MT...but man that would be an incredible amount of pressure to come back and follow a former Final Four and undefeated coach that succeeded him "at this level".
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                            Well, we know Marshall is a liar.
                            No, we know that Shaq said he did. And we know you believe he did. That's all we know.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

3 different teams in 15 seasons (no tourney in 2020 that he 100% was in) made 10 NCAAs. In the B1G 7 seasons, 6 NCAAs (the other bubble) one 1st, two 2nds & a 3rd. He's not in the elite class of coaches, but he's in the next group below elite and would have been an incredible hire. And that hire would have pissed off a lot of fans. And my guess is Mark would have fixed that within the first year, if not the first press conference.
                              I don't know, man. His last season was a fart and the next was heading toward dumpster fire before he pulled the ripcord. Sure he's learned a lot.
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Maryland seems like a place that would have no issues hiring GM and telling detractors to go pound sand, if that's who they wanted. And I'm fine with that.

All it takes is for a program to do it, and you may be surprised how quickly things are forgiven, errrrrrr forgotten.
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X