Former Head Coach Mark Turgeon steps down as Maryland coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Learning new things all the time, and revisionist history being what it is, I believe if HCIB had not had the success last year that he did, it would have been slightly more likely than all other outcomes that Mark would be leading our program again..
    Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander on their podcast covering Maryland and Turgeon's resignation said that they had heard that Wichita boosters supposedly had promised to step up and pay to bring back Turgeon. That all got derailed when HCIB and his WSU team exceeded expectations.

You can see how this would be like a gut punch to Turgeon. It is interesting how things work out.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander on their podcast covering Maryland and Turgeon's resignation said that they had heard that Wichita boosters supposedly had promised to step up and pay to bring back Turgeon. That all got derailed when HCIB and his WSU team exceeded expectations.

You can see how this would be like a gut punch to Turgeon. It is interesting how things work out.
      The irony though. Marshall follows Turg, then Turg follows Marshall. Glad it didn't happen. I hope in 2 or 3 years we are still giddy about Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Not only that, Shaq's "history" makes him incredibly unreliable.
        is Ron Baker unreliable? Baker said Marshall has two rules for the team, don’t lie to me and don’t steal from me. In an interview, baker said he was staying out of it, until Marshall’s second statement in which he said, “I didn’t do those things.” (Paraphrasing Marshall). At that point, Baker said he had to get involved because Marshall lied. If it wasn’t a slap/hit/whatever against Shaq, there was enough smoke that Marshall took half of what was owed him and left.

Pure speculation, but I am guessing they had the goods on Marshall, could have fired with with cause, but respected the outstanding job he had done for the school, the city and the state, and the payoff was a thank you gift.

Comment

marshall has spoken many times about how he felt being given that **** show in '07. if he had known what was left in the cupboard, he probably wouldn't have come here. he won in spite of what turgeon left behind.

maryland basketball coaching prospects beware: he's leaving another craptastic highlight behind at maryland too.

Comment

I appreciate what MT did here. I wouldn't want him back

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
              is Ron Baker unreliable?
              Sure, you should take Baker for his word: He didn't see Shaq get punched. Baker came forward because he thinks Marshall wasn't telling the full truth _based on what others said_. That's the exact definition of hearsay.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Pure speculation, but I am guessing they had the goods on Marshall, could have fired with with cause, but respected the outstanding job he had done for the school, the city and the state, and the payoff was a thank you gift.
                My pure speculation... They had goods on Marshall... But Marshall had goods on the administration. They knew and never did anything. Neither side wanted it to go to court, so coming to an agreement made the most sense to all parties. That's why it's roughly half the contract

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

My pure speculation... They had goods on Marshall... But Marshall had goods on the administration. They knew and never did anything. Neither side wanted it to go to court, so coming to an agreement made the most sense to all parties. That's why it's roughly half the contract
                  The administration needed this to go away. Somebody was going to get paid (the lawyers or marshall), having it drugged out in court over a long period of time was not in the best interest of either party. So they each compromised to make it go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Sure, you should take Baker for his word: He didn't see Shaq get punched. Baker came forward because he thinks Marshall wasn't telling the full truth _based on what others said_. That's the exact definition of hearsay.

The “alleged” head slap was not the only incident that did Marshall in.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

The “alleged” head slap was not the only incident that did Marshall in.
                      You mean when the doo doo head track athlete parked in his stall and Marshall saved the taxpayers lots of money by handling it himself? :)
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

You mean when the doo doo head track athlete parked in his stall and Marshall saved the taxpayers lots of money by handling it himself? :)
                        Hey, don’t talk about MattDolt like that.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

More like when he choked an assistant. Or would use language like “fisting” a players girlfriend to motivate the player Confirmed by the player as being said And yes, if the report of the incident with the track Arlene is accurate, it was inappropriate behavior by Marshall Saved the taxpayers money, I don’t know about that, but it helped cost Marshall a chunk of change

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Hey, don’t talk about MattDolt like that.
                            Go back to the kids table, the adults are talking

Comment

• I'm happy things turned out the way they did if MT was our other option. We would have always been limited with MT as our HC. He never believed we were more than an occasional sweet 16 team based upon his comments while here. HCIB has a much more positive approach and I'm anxious to see how he does over time. However, if it were totally my choice it would still be HCGM.
                              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• You don’t have a Coach “resign” if he didn’t do it AND you don’t pay him millions of dollars in settlement money for misconduct if the truth, including WSU being complicit, was going to come out in court. It’s just a business decision at the end of the day. I know his agent personally via a mutual friend, and he got me nice game tickets in the Coach’s family/friends section once against Davidson years back. He told me how he got Marshall paid by leveraging other university courting him and working the boosters, and he handled all his endorsements too. He said GGG was tough dude, not always the nicest to be around. He had a temper, and it got the best of him.

The punch, the choking incident, the Canadian craziness on the Refs, the racial comments…dude, you can’t do that anywhere, nor should you defend it. We are all thankful of the Marshall days and we wish him the best. Some day the wounds will heal and he will get his HoF.

WSU is more than any coach, always will be.

Comment

Working...
                                X