No announcement yet.

Former Head Coach Mark Turgeon steps down as Maryland coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He did a good job but we were a stepping stone for him. I do appreciate what he did. He and JS (AD) brought us back to respectability so that GM was interested in the job.
    Last edited by WeWillShockU2; December 3, 2021, 09:01 PM.

Comment

He had a high stress job at Maryland. He probably needs to regroup and come back to the Midwest. I could see him at Illinois State or Tulsa.

Comment

I doubt it. More likely to get a TV job. MT doesn’t have to work another day in his life either. He has plenty of money.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
          It's impossible to know to what heights Mark Turgeon would have brought us had he stayed as WSU head coach. From 2000-01 when he started until 2005-06, the Sweet Sixteen season, he improved in the win-loss column every year. He brought us to the Sweet Sixteen, we got knocked out by a Final Four team, then the next season we were 9-0 and ranked #8 in the country in December. Remember we won at George Mason, at LSU, and at Syracuse to start that season. We were flying.

Then it all just turned to crap. We went to that Las Vegas tournament undefeated and ranked #8 in the country. Then the season collapsed and in four months he was gone. I think Turgeon absolutely could have brought us to a Final Four. He had all the resources at WSU that he needed to do that. We could have even done it in 2006 if we had gotten the right breaks in that George Mason game. We were becoming the Gonzaga of the Midwest while Turgeon was here. That talk didn't start after Marshall was hired.

Turgeon basically woke up the sleeping giant that was WSU basketball, already a proud program from the 1920s, 1960s, and 1980s. He got it going again. Even though he was a KU guy, he really did a lot of good for WSU.
          One rumor that seemed to have legs, is that team fell apart when one of the players slept with another players girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

One rumor that seemed to have legs, is that team fell apart when one of the players slept with another players girlfriend.
            Are we talking about the rumors legs or the girlfriends

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Are we talking about the rumors legs or the girlfriends
              I thought we were talking about Turgeon legs
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Bad, not horrible take. 100% expected though.

Night.
                NAMASTE
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Wish MT well.

He is a good coach, and thus was able to succeed at WSU, (who previously hired 3 awful coaches that couldn't win even at WSU). But MT was a product of the mainstream college basketball world, so, of course he couldn't stay at WSU because he didn't have that frame of mind to see it as something other than what the mainstream college BBall world did. Maybe he did, but couldn't/didn't have the confidence to believe it and see it through, whereas GM 100% did and had the MTXE mentality to prove everybody wrong. MT was just playing to a different crowd that he grew up in. Can't fault the guy for that. We had some great times with him, and he has done well for himself. Maybe if a spot opens up, he would like to come back and be on IBs staff.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Turg would be a good coach for Tulsa

Comment

terrapin fans/alumni are ecstatic over this.

they wanted him out a long time ago.. then he surprised them with a sweet 16.. then the terps plummeted again.

Comment

OMG WE DID IT (247sports.com)

Comment

Irony if Marshall follows Tug again. Just sayin.

Comment

I thought Turgeon was in a little over his head at that level.

Comment

I don't see GM as a possibility for a high profile, top job like this. There will be a lot of questions he has to answer after the bad publicity he received, and he doesn't have the people (LYING) skills that Bruce Pearl has. I could be wrong, but Maryland probably considers him damaged goods, and they are above him now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                                I don't see GM as a possibility for a high profile, top job like this. There will be a lot of questions he has to answer after the bad publicity he received, and he doesn't have the people (LYING) skills that Bruce Pearl has. I could be wrong, but Maryland probably considers him damaged goods, and they are above him now.
                                Agree. IF Gregg wants to dip his toe back into the pond, it will probably have to be at a small school for a few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X