No announcement yet.

Former Head Coach Mark Turgeon steps down as Maryland coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would think that the WICHITA Eagle might just throw in something in the headline that said he COACHED IN WICHITA!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
      I posted this in the Former Shocker Media Mentions & Updates thread prior to the other Turgeon threads popping up. There was an article today that he might resign that came out prior to the official announcement and according to it, it looks like maybe the fans got to Turgeon - https://247sports.com/college/maryla...all-177151367/

There’s always talk about monumental pay (relatively speaking as I don’t have a million + dollar salary) and some people should just suck it up and take the money but that’s easier said than done when one is confronted with that sort of public “discourse.” As a resident of the DC metro area, I’m aware of the fanbase’s dissatisfaction so this comes a no surprise. Hope he and his family find peace somewhere other than Columbia, Maryland.

Comment

The best thing Turgeon did for Wichita State was leave. We would have never found thr success we have and we would still be in the MVC (which would make a few of you happy). Yes, he did some good here, but he'd worn out his welcome and I will forever be thankful that he left and we got a massive upgrade in coaching and recruiting.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
          You would think that the WICHITA Eagle might just throw in something in the headline that said he COACHED IN WICHITA!

https://twitter.com/WichitaEagleSpt/...fw2pf1eWQ&s=19
          My God! Was that tweet intentionally worded to upset Shocker fans or has your "local" newspaper become that tone deaf? I'm serious. Living in Omaha, you see the World Herald subtelly slight Creighton in favor of the Huskers; even they wouldn't screw up like that. You guys need to slam the hell out of that tweet. Ridiculous.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Just read the article. Horrible.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
              Wow, Taylor Eldridge mentioned on the Shane Dennis show today that when Marshall got fired, Turge was putting out feelers for a possible return to WSU.
              His feeler said that he felt more comfortable at “that level”.

Comment

I'm guessing that article in the Eagle was written by one of the KC Star guys. There's been a boatload of KU stuff ever since the Wichita paper became a satellite of the KC paper.

Comment

If Kung Wu was the beat writer: "Former KU guard rejected by angry Maryland fans who are now stuck with another rejected coach from KU"

But seriously, I like Mark and am thankful he turned our program around. After 20+ years of high level coaching, he owes the sport nothing. Well done and have a happy retirement coach.
                  Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

His "we're just not a good team right now." body language was starting wear the Maryland fans out, eh? I know how they feel. They damn sure do deserve better. It was cringe worthy watching him on the sidelines in b10 games. He lasted about a year too long. One doesn't have to be a Chicken Hawk fan to know what good basketball is, although they'd presume to have you believe that.

As far as his time here I don't think for one second he overachieved when he was here. NIT's didn't make me happy, unless he would have gotten to a Madison Sq. garden game, or even won one outright. He left a loser at this level, and it didn't appear he was headed toward getting it turned around too quickly if he would have stayed either. Not with the talent that remained. A 6'7 post in Udeze is way better than a 6'7 Thomassen. Remember him?

Good night Shocker fans.

Comment

Best of luck to Coach Turgeon and his family. He brought success to our program at a time when it badly needed it.

One thing for sure, it is out of our hands how coaches come and go and come, and that is most probably a damn good thing.
                      Last edited by 60Shock; December 4, 2021, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                        His "we're just not a good team right now." body language was starting wear the Maryland fans out, eh? I know how they feel. They damn sure do deserve better. It was cringe worthy watching him on the sidelines in b10 games. He lasted about a year too long. One doesn't have to be a Chicken Hawk fan to know what good basketball is, although they'd presume to have you believe that.

As far as his time here I don't think for one second he overachieved when he was here. NIT's didn't make me happy, unless he would have gotten to a Madison Sq. garden game, or even won one outright. He left a loser at this level, and it didn't appear he was headed toward getting it turned around too quickly if he would have stayed either. Not with the talent that remained. A 6'7 post in Udeze is way better than a 6'7 Thomassen. Remember him?

Good night Shocker fans.

Bad, not horrible take. 100% expected though.

Night.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Bad, not horrible take. 100% expected though.

Night.
                          Has to be a parody account at this point
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

FWIW, Turgeon’s interest in the WSU job was also mentioned in the CBS Sports Eye on College Basketball podcast. So Taylor’s report seems to be confirmed.

(Starts around the 11:00-11:30 mark)
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

It's impossible to know to what heights Mark Turgeon would have brought us had he stayed as WSU head coach. From 2000-01 when he started until 2005-06, the Sweet Sixteen season, he improved in the win-loss column every year. He brought us to the Sweet Sixteen, we got knocked out by a Final Four team, then the next season we were 9-0 and ranked #8 in the country in December. Remember we won at George Mason, at LSU, and at Syracuse to start that season. We were flying.

Then it all just turned to crap. We went to that Las Vegas tournament undefeated and ranked #8 in the country. Then the season collapsed and in four months he was gone. I think Turgeon absolutely could have brought us to a Final Four. He had all the resources at WSU that he needed to do that. We could have even done it in 2006 if we had gotten the right breaks in that George Mason game. We were becoming the Gonzaga of the Midwest while Turgeon was here. That talk didn't start after Marshall was hired.

Turgeon basically woke up the sleeping giant that was WSU basketball, already a proud program from the 1920s, 1960s, and 1980s. He got it going again. Even though he was a KU guy, he really did a lot of good for WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
                                It's impossible to know to what heights Mark Turgeon would have brought us had he stayed as WSU head coach. From 2000-01 when he started until 2005-06, the Sweet Sixteen season, he improved in the win-loss column every year. He brought us to the Sweet Sixteen, we got knocked out by a Final Four team, then the next season we were 9-0 and ranked #8 in the country in December. Remember we won at George Mason, at LSU, and at Syracuse to start that season. We were flying.

Then it all just turned to crap. We went to that Las Vegas tournament undefeated and ranked #8 in the country. Then the season collapsed and in four months he was gone. I think Turgeon absolutely could have brought us to a Final Four. He had all the resources at WSU that he needed to do that. We could have even done it in 2006 if we had gotten the right breaks in that George Mason game. We were becoming the Gonzaga of the Midwest while Turgeon was here. That talk didn't start after Marshall was hired.

Turgeon basically woke up the sleeping giant that was WSU basketball, already a proud program from the 1920s, 1960s, and 1980s. He got it going again. Even though he was a KU guy, he really did a lot of good for WSU.
                                A major problem with the idea that Turgeon would have continued to do well (IMHO) is that Tad Boyle had left and that it was Scott Spinelli who replaced him. The "culture" of the coaching staff changed and not to the good. I believe the hold over players from when Boyle was here were not relating to Spinelli (or he was not relating to them). I believe this added to some of the problems that followed the team after their strong start that year. Just my opinion from what I gathered as the season went on. Moving to a new starting place (A&M), the players did not have previous experience with any of the staff (well, except one player).

Comment

Working...
                                X